Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Ive finally decided im going to throw a pair of these upfront

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0J0GTNXF4KZHBSEFMH0P

But how would I get it to fit besides dremeling out my car last time I did that my seat belt caught on fire[ohcrap] haha

is there any adapter plates that would maybe raise the speaker out and make it so there is no dremeling? link would be appreciated

and has anyone used the cadence 6.5?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright thanks im more worried about the mounting depth though dont want the motor hitting the window. :X

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
Why not make your own adapters? You can even seal them if you want, easy woprk.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Why not just find some good 6x8's? it's a larger speaker, better sound and more mid base
Ive always thought that a round speaker produces a better more natural sound. But i guess in a car there is nothing natural about it anyway.

Also to me the variety for 6 1/2 seems better, you get the best bang for the buck with 6-1/2 over a speaker designed just to fit certin cars. They seem to jack up the price on 6X8s

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
All hi-end speakers sytems use other than round drivers.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is kind of off-topic, but somewhat related. I was just about to head out to my car to take off the front door panels and see how much depth the stock speaker takes so I have a good measurement to buying aftermarket ones. I'll try and take some pictures to help anyone else wanting to know how to take off the door panels in 08-11 models.

Let us know what you find out for the 6.5's!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not just find some good 6x8's? it's a larger speaker, better sound and more mid base
bass is best recreated by round speakers that is why subwoofers are round and not oval also i want to go with component because the vibrations of the midbasss wont mess with the tweeter

This is kind of off-topic, but somewhat related. I was just about to head out to my car to take off the front door panels and see how much depth the stock speaker takes so I have a good measurement to buying aftermarket ones. I'll try and take some pictures to help anyone else wanting to know how to take off the door panels in 08-11 models.

Let us know what you find out for the 6.5's!
I will im guesing its going to be a giant pain , im trying to run a 4 channel amp no idea how to get the speaker wire from the front speakers to the rear amp

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just took off the door panel to have a look at it, and there is a plastic-like cover sealed around the door, so I didn't want to peel that off since I don't have any way to put it back on. When I actually go to do the door speakers and such I will probably use a razorblade and cut off the glue and just replacing it.

And I plan on using a 4-channel amp as well, but I have no clue how to get the wires to the back, besides just going through the loom where the power door locks/window wires go, and then just running alongside the floor trim....I'm pretty sure that's the only way lol.

Either run your own seperate wires from the speaker in the door all the way to the amp, or run your own wires to the factory wires behind the HU as long as they are the same size. I wouldn't think running only 100RMS at most through those tiny wires would hurt....Although larger wire would be better.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just took off the door panel to have a look at it, and there is a plastic-like cover sealed around the door, so I didn't want to peel that off since I don't have any way to put it back on. When I actually go to do the door speakers and such I will probably use a razorblade and cut off the glue and just replacing it.

And I plan on using a 4-channel amp as well, but I have no clue how to get the wires to the back, besides just going through the loom where the power door locks/window wires go, and then just running alongside the floor trim....I'm pretty sure that's the only way lol.

Either run your own seperate wires from the speaker in the door all the way to the amp, or run your own wires to the factory wires behind the HU as long as they are the same size. I wouldn't think running only 100RMS at most through those tiny wires would hurt....Although larger wire would be better.
yeaH i just hooked up a 2nd amp today just havent put the speakers on it

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
most 6 1/2 i have heard sound better then a 6x8, besides 4 6 1/2 pushing 100-150 watts off an amp with you 4 tweets running of your deck would give you all the mid bass you need with really great sound. also if havent heard them yet some 12" square kickers sound great and loud so for you to say subs are round for good sound recreation is not 100% correct.

·
Registered
299 Posts
most 6 1/2 i have heard sound better then a 6x8, besides 4 6 1/2 pushing 100-150 watts off an amp with you 4 tweets running of your deck would give you all the mid bass you need with really great sound. also if havent heard them yet some 12" square kickers sound great and loud so for you to say subs are round for good sound recreation is not 100% correct.
Actually running the tweeters off of your HU while having your mids off an amp and subs off an amp would not sound good. You would barely be able to hear the highs when cranked. That would be like just using an amp for subs but keeping all of your stock speakers on the HU. The subs amp will overpower the HU output which is whole purpose of upgrading to an amp. If you're going to use an amp for your mids/highs you might as well do it right. Or at least run a seperate amp for the highs with a crossover

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
square subs dont have mid bass because of there dust caps resonating at lower frequencies do to their shape

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey guys, I don't normally post on here since I don't currently have a focus, but I do browse the forums every once in a while and I read through this thread and wanted to help by correcting some misinformation.

see below

Ive always thought that a round speaker produces a better more natural sound. But i guess in a car there is nothing natural about it anyway.

Also to me the variety for 6 1/2 seems better, you get the best bang for the buck with 6-1/2 over a speaker designed just to fit certin cars. They seem to jack up the price on 6X8s
this is completely correct, typically a round speaker will have better sound characteristics then an oval speaker. but more importantly, there are very few high-end oval speakers, 6 1/2's are by far the most common size and therefore have a much larger selection of "good" speakers. lots of high end speaker makers only make one size, and its a 6 1/2"

All hi-end speakers sytems use other than round drivers.
this is not true at all

bass is best recreated by round speakers that is why subwoofers are round and not oval also i want to go with component because the vibrations of the midbasss wont mess with the tweeter

I will im guesing its going to be a giant pain , im trying to run a 4 channel amp no idea how to get the speaker wire from the front speakers to the rear amp
this is actually backwards, of all the frequency spectrums bass is the least affected by shape, lots off odd shaped subwoofers perform very well.

Actually running the tweeters off of your HU while having your mids off an amp and subs off an amp would not sound good. You would barely be able to hear the highs when cranked. That would be like just using an amp for subs but keeping all of your stock speakers on the HU. The subs amp will overpower the HU output which is whole purpose of upgrading to an amp. If you're going to use an amp for your mids/highs you might as well do it right. Or at least run a seperate amp for the highs with a crossover
this is exactly right

square subs dont have mid bass because of there dust caps resonating at lower frequencies do to their shape
this is not true, the free air resonance of a sub is determined by lots of factors, shape is not one of them. the only way shape would effect the resonance frequency is due to the increased cone size and wight of a square cone versus a round one, but this could be changed simply by making the cone from a lighter material. none of that really matters though because subs, when set up properly, should not be playing mid bass anyway. thats what the mids in your doors are for, and thats why the OP wants a quality set of of 6 1/2's in his front doors, rather then a set of low end 6x8's with no midbass.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
yes i realize that with the tweets running of your hu it wont be as loud but if you put them in the upper part of the pillars facing towards you they will sound louder then they are most tweets also dont handle over 50watts rms and a good aftermarket hu will do 50x4. might not be as loud or as good of quality but it will be better then nothing. if you want to spend the extra 100-200 bucks on an amp that does 50x4 at 4ohms ( 2ohms for some applications ) then go for it. for cost affective reasons running tweet of the deck will work great.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
what dbmonster told you is spot on. But if your primary concern are things like mounting depth or fit, then you can find a 'good enough' sounding speaker that won't break the bank in a 6x9 form factor. Unfortunately, the only true method of finding that speaker is to listen to them as your ears are the final arbiter of what sounds good to you. Just keep in mind that it is not only the speaker, but what the speaker is mounted in. I.E. you can make a cheap speaker sound great if the enclosure complements (Well, great for a cheap speaker anyway!).

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
I beg to differ with DBMonster on hi-end speakers using other than round drivers for speakers. Most hi-end speakers use a di-pole or flat diaphram driver for the mids and hi freq. One of the few to use all round drivers but still use mounting defusers is Focal Utopia. The new Audi A8 uses a B&O round driver but with a diffuser to spead the sound stage evenly. Infinity used to use EMIT-K flat ribbon tweeters to give a wider sound stage but over the years and cost of building the EMIT-K caused Infinity to no longer build them for mobile audio.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I beg to differ with DBMonster on hi-end speakers using other than round drivers for speakers. Most hi-end speakers use a di-pole or flat diaphram driver for the mids and hi freq. One of the few to use all round drivers but still use mounting defusers is Focal Utopia. The new Audi A8 uses a B&O round driver but with a diffuser to spead the sound stage evenly. Infinity used to use EMIT-K flat ribbon tweeters to give a wider sound stage but over the years and cost of building the EMIT-K caused Infinity to no longer build them for mobile audio.
yes there are a few companies that make car audio speaker systems that utilize ribbon tweeters, ring radiator tweeters, as well as planar transducers, but they are rare due to the complexity of installation and size vs a standard speaker. The vast majority of car audio speaker systems use a traditional dome tweeter and cone midrange.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
If it were me, if you can get a good 6-1/2 to fit in your stock panels ide do it.

I wasnt sure if they would fit without modification to the panels so i just went with 6X8 drivers.

I think ill order some of those adaptor rings and look into some better 6-1/2 drivers

1 - 20 of 32 Posts