Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So backstory is i haven't gone racing much. Today was a test & tune at the local 1/8th mile. So figured I'd try. Best run of the day was a 9.14 @80.23 but then i ran a 9.2 @81.09. First off is this average for a newbie lol. Second does the higher trap with lower time mean with the right tires and launch the car coulr be faster?

I launched at 2500 and rolled out not just smashing the gas. I have a 93 sct ots tune and cai. Tires are street tires at 25psi and elevation for the track was 900ft

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
I'd be pretty happy with those times.

What was your 60'? That will be the biggest tell-tale on if there's more in her or not. Anything over a 2.1~ can be immediately subtracted from the final time as that is easily attainable by a FWD car with good driving and tires.

Roughly translated, those times are a low 14 second 1/4 mile as it sits. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 60 was 2.24. And really? That's good news. I was worried i just sucked since every car i got lined up against was running low 8s and mid 7s

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
9 flat, with a standard torque curve (aka not a honda with ultra high rev power, or nitrous coming in late) equates to about a 14 flat in the quarter mile.

2.24 is not bad at all for a first timer, especially with the peaky low end torque these ST's make. That makes for a difficult to launch car on street tires for sure.

Get some drag radials or other sticky meats on some 17" wheels would go a long way for you if you plan to go back and play more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely plan to go back for sure. It was a lot of fun :). I'll look into better tires for sure. Ill search for what size slicks work out best

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure about other people but once I put slicks on my ST my clutch started to spin. With a decent burn out and getting on it hard. by the time I went into third the clutch wouldn't grab. slicks we at 20psi if that matters.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I've read slicks should be around 14 to 16 on these cars. Gonna be a bit before i can buy some and test that though lol since i just bought a new sidearm

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
From what I've read slicks should be around 14 to 16 on these cars. Gonna be a bit before i can buy some and test that though lol since i just bought a new sidearm
All depends on the slick size, and rim size and width. The tire sidewall and contact patch will bow drastically different depending on these things.

Best bet is to add white shoe polish to the area where the sidewall meets the tread surface, and drop pressure slowly looking for when the contact patch coloration is gone all the way to the edge after driving in a straight line. This check doesn't need to be done on the track, you can check this by driving straight down the road/pits. That will get you a close ballpark anyway. If you're running a street slick, that doesn't mean all the way to where the tread patterns stops, but to the shoulder of the tread where the molded tread is folded down to become sidewall as seen in this image showing what should be contact patch area:

Don't dip too low, or the slick will lose contact patch pressure in the middle of the tread, you still want some middle balloon for a nice even contact.

As a visual, you're shooting for something much like this, but much lower air pressure involved than a standard street tire:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts