Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from the dealership, and we've worked out a price that is really acceptable to me. I basically just have to signed on the dotted line next time I see them.

As I want this car to last me quite a while (my intention is to hit a decade, maybe even longer), I thought that I should get a higher trim with the creature comforts and let those last me a while.

2015 Focus Titanium, hatchback, 6-speed auto
300A group
Magnetic grey
Sat Nav
Cargo protector

Now that I'm about ready to hand over my cash, I have the jitters of having to fork over $20k+ for it! I've been a public transit commuter for over 10 years now. That means I've been steadily saving up for this day. Now that it's here, boy does it ever feel scary! It's not about the amount of money itself, but that I'm about to hand over that amount of money.

Anyone got any good advice for settling the butterflies? And also the up to 8 week wait for the factory order to arrive?

One last thing: has anyone else had roof rack rails installed on theirs? How much did it cost? The dealership couldn't get me a number since they said it would be done by the parts and services dept, and since it's a new car they don't have any estimates. I called BS on that, but they wouldn't give me an estimate anyways. I need the rails as I have two roof racks for seasonal activities: kayaking during the summer, skiing during the winter.

Soon... soon I shall have a steering wheel in my hands and a leathery cushion to conform to my backside...

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
So I just got back from the dealership, and we've worked out a price that is really acceptable to me. I basically just have to signed on the dotted line next time I see them.

As I want this car to last me quite a while (my intention is to hit a decade, maybe even longer), I thought that I should get a higher trim with the creature comforts and let those last me a while.

2015 Focus Titanium, hatchback, 6-speed auto
300A group
Magnetic grey
Sat Nav
Cargo protector

Now that I'm about ready to hand over my cash, I have the jitters of having to fork over $20k+ for it! I've been a public transit commuter for over 10 years now. That means I've been steadily saving up for this day. Now that it's here, boy does it ever feel scary! It's not about the amount of money itself, but that I'm about to hand over that amount of money.

Anyone got any good advice for settling the butterflies? And also the up to 8 week wait for the factory order to arrive?

One last thing: has anyone else had roof rack rails installed on theirs? How much did it cost? The dealership couldn't get me a number since they said it would be done by the parts and services dept, and since it's a new car they don't have any estimates. I called BS on that, but they wouldn't give me an estimate anyways. I need the rails as I have two roof racks for seasonal activities: kayaking during the summer, skiing during the winter.

Soon... soon I shall have a steering wheel in my hands and a leathery cushion to conform to my backside...
After you take delivery of your new car, you will enjoy it (and its creature comforts) immensely.

I ordered my Ti in Dec. 2010 and didn't take delivery of it until the end of May 2011.
It was worth the wait.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea it is a investment, so do the maintence & it'll take care of you.

·
Registered
976 Posts
When you say "roof rack rails" are you talking about a Yakima/Thule-type rack to carry bikes, snowboards, etc.? If so, no need for the dealer to handle that, any bicycle shop/outdoor place should carry them.

·
Registered
289 Posts

A few thoughts:

-Don't let them sway you on the price. It's a new car so you have little leverage but be prepared to walk away if you come back and they say that they had to bump it up a few hundred. Happened to me more than once.

-Consider the ESP. If you plan to keep it for that long, you'll enjoy the fact that you're covered for at least half as many years as you plan to own it.

-The butterflies never really go away, once you drive away with it, you'll feel a sense of thrill and excitement but also a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that you handed over so much money. Others may have a different perspective, but buying a car (or a house) is a terrifying thing and you'll have a little fear and remorse to get over but it'll go away quickly.

-Read up on here about suggested maintenance intervals, fuel preference, tires, driving tips, and most importantly: how to properly treat your transmission. Once your engine break in is done you'll want to break in your transmission the hard way. It'll take some time and you might think something is wrong with it but in the end it will be worth it if you can get it to operate without you knowing it's even there.

-Enjoy it. You will probably only be able to drive a new car off the lot which you wholly own a couple times in your life. There is absolutely a honeymoon period with it where you'll want to just drive every chance you get...do that.

-Also, I also suggest Thule or Yakima rails. In my opinion, they just look good and they are two trusted brands.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
One thing I can suggest is to not negociate accessories in the price if you can afford to buy them after. Here's why:
- you will pay interest on something you could have bought now and at the end pay more because of the interest;
- you have less leverage on the end price (total price including the car) with accessories - they have bigger margin to play on the car then accessories;
- you can get better then OEM ford for the mats and cargo liner: WeatherTech (I have them and they are very very good) and Husky Liners;

Just my two cents and personnal experience.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Ask for the roof rack install for free. As part of the deal. Or a set price agreed to before you sign on the bottom line. The roof is identical to the one on the 2014, so I also agree them not being able to say is BS.
Though if you have not chosen a brand/model of roof rack, that may make it it harder for them. personally "I" would forget about the roof rack deal until after you OWN the car. Mainly to avoid them pre-installing it and then you say no I do not want this car due to it has a three foot wide gash that was badly repaired.. They say we installed the roof rack, the car is yours... etc.

I know there are threads about roof racks here someplace.. [cheers]

And finally, one point about ordering the car. Make certain you do have right to refuse to accept the car if it has unacceptable flaws.
You need to STILL take a long hard look at the car when it arrives prior to accepting it.
Plus do NOT put down a lot of money. I only put down $200.

And the car is not yours until you sign and drive it away. make certain it is perfect before you sign. Most dealers will fix stuff BEFORE you sign right away if you refuse to sign until the work is done.. And PLENTY will promise to, and NOT DO IT after you sign. Just a fact of life.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you say "roof rack rails" are you talking about a Yakima/Thule-type rack to carry bikes, snowboards, etc.? If so, no need for the dealer to handle that, any bicycle shop/outdoor place should carry them.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I mean just the rails that the racks attach to, much like this one in this image:

I've never really known what they are formerly called, I just called them the "roof rails" or "roof rack rails".

I already have my own racks for kayak and ski equipment, I've always just attached my own racks to my friends' car rails.

A few thoughts:

-Don't let them sway you on the price. It's a new car so you have little leverage but be prepared to walk away if you come back and they say that they had to bump it up a few hundred. Happened to me more than once.
I am prepared to walk away if they try that on me. I had the dealer salesman sign a sheet, my name on it also, indicating that both dealer and potential buyer agree to this price and the terms and conditions to that price. It's more or less an offer, but one of the conditions I forced him to put down was that once both signatures are on this piece of paper, the price doesn't move one bit unless I open it back up.

-Consider the ESP. If you plan to keep it for that long, you'll enjoy the fact that you're covered for at least half as many years as you plan to own it.
Already have, I swung by their financial manager's office to get numbers on extended warranty and protection, so I have a pretty accurate estimate for this :) But good advice all the same.

-The butterflies never really go away, once you drive away with it, you'll feel a sense of thrill and excitement but also a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that you handed over so much money. Others may have a different perspective, but buying a car (or a house) is a terrifying thing and you'll have a little fear and remorse to get over but it'll go away quickly.
Yeah, no kidding. To all of what you wrote. It's really just the idea that you are putting down that much money, when you've never before. As I mentioned I'm not too concerned about the amount of money, as I have been saving up for quite a long time, but that it's the first time I am putting down that much money at once. Yeesh.

-Read up on here about suggested maintenance intervals, fuel preference, tires, driving tips, and most importantly: how to properly treat your transmission. Once your engine break in is done you'll want to break in your transmission the hard way. It'll take some time and you might think something is wrong with it but in the end it will be worth it if you can get it to operate without you knowing it's even there.
It'll sure take me some time, but hey it's something to do during the 8 weeks it's estimated to build and deliver!

-Enjoy it. You will probably only be able to drive a new car off the lot which you wholly own a couple times in your life. There is absolutely a honeymoon period with it where you'll want to just drive every chance you get...do that.
Yeah, I'm going to absolutely take advantage of the honeymoon period. I just don't think I'll post any photos of it. I don't think they'll be internet safe, even for the darkweb (and we all know just how far people go on the interwebs...)

·
Registered
976 Posts
^^^I have never seen a Focus with roof rails (typically on wagons) and don't believe you can do that/they offer them. They are likely talking about standard roof racks where you have feet that clamp on above the doors with cross-bars (see my picture..I have Yakimas). On the ESP, remember that the price is v. negotiable...I never buy them..but if you want one, make sure you don't pay what they show you..you can also decline and get it later while the vehicle is still under warranty but I understand why people roll them into the cost of the vehicle due to their high cost.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, I see what you mean.

I had been going through videos I'd found and thought that the front-back rails could be installed. I was going by the following videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWDu_w1Nf_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Gj-JV3zGY

You can see that there are "mounting" points for a rack, and you just choose what rack you want to install. In my case, I was hoping that I could get the rails installed, and I would swap out the crossbar racks each season. Perhaps this is just an EU feature.

Obviously I have much to learn! But thanks very much for the info, I shall start looking into the clamping racks now, vs the rail bars.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My Focus doesn't have those mounting points. Also, those are typically for use of the above-mentioned rack systems and allow easier installation as well as the ability to take the on and off easily.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
Ah, I see what you mean.

I had been going through videos I'd found and thought that the front-back rails could be installed. I was going by the following videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWDu_w1Nf_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Gj-JV3zGY

You can see that there are "mounting" points for a rack, and you just choose what rack you want to install. In my case, I was hoping that I could get the rails installed, and I would swap out the crossbar racks each season. Perhaps this is just an EU feature.

Obviously I have much to learn! But thanks very much for the info, I shall start looking into the clamping racks now, vs the rail bars.
Those are older european model foci, what we all have now is a global car, and it doesn't have those mounting points to my knowledge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts