Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so be kind please-

I recently took delivery of my 2012 SE 5 door I ordered with the 17" rims, 5 speed and Sport Package to replace my daily driver.

Shortly before I took delivery, a co-worker bought an SE automatic...no Sport Package. While his came equipped with the standard 16" steelies with hubcaps and an automatic.

Comparing the two cars side by side, I verified that the "Sport Package" is nearly 1/2" taller- Or has more wheel gap.

The 16" standard tire actual widths are WIDER than the Optional 17" rim and tire package.

Is this compensation? Heavy duty dampers for stiffer springs? I woudl think the "Sport Package" would include a lower ride height and wider tread...

Anyone care to discuss?

Eibach springs have already arrived, so it won't be long before the car looks proper....just curous what the actual changes in the suspension are for the "Sport Package" option other than rear disc brakes...

·
Registered
276 Posts
From what I have seen the 16 inch rims are using 55mm tire walls and the 17's are using 50. I wonder if thats what you might be seeing...?

Dam I love those rims, and your car looks amazing as well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Both the 16" and 17" tires are the same 215mm cross section. The 16's are a 55 series with a 25.3" diameter the 17's are a 50 series with a 25.5" diameter.

Essentially there is no difference in diameter or width between the 16's and 17's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both the 16" and 17" tires are the same 215mm cross section. The 16's are a 55 series with a 25.3" diameter the 17's are a 50 series with a 25.5" diameter.

Essentially there is no difference in diameter or width between the 16's and 17's.
Except the shoulder to shoulder tread width. While both are ContiProContact215's, (the standard SE has a 215/55/R16 96H versus the Sport SE with 17s uses 215/50/R17 91H rollers...) Going off memory on the base SE so I am sure "H" size is off.

Take a look at a base SE and correct me please.

BTW: I cannot post in marketplace, but these are for sale. The whole set with under 1500 miles-rims, OE lugs, Center Caps, TPM sensors and tires. $1000 cash in Charlotte.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Except the shoulder to shoulder tread width. While both are ContiProContact215's, (the standard SE has a 215/55/R16 96H versus the Sport SE with 17s uses 215/50/R17 91H rollers...) Going off memory on the base SE so I am sure "H" size is off.

Take a look at a base SE and correct me please.

BTW: I cannot post in marketplace, but these are for sale. The whole set with under 1500 miles-rims, OE lugs, Center Caps, TPM sensors and tires. $1000 cash in Charlotte.
I agree with Dgc333 there is no difference in the tire size. H refers to the speed rating of the tire where the number in front is the load index. Larger the number the more load it can hold.

Image below helps illustrated.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Except the shoulder to shoulder tread width.
Why would two 215 wide tires of the same type (regardless of wheel diameter) have two different shoulder to shoulder tread widths? 215 is the nominal width aka the width of the tire at it's widest point, which is the sidewall.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
One point is 'set'. The car will set a little lower after awhile, than when brand new.. The springs just get used a bit, and then the car will hunker down just a little. This may account for the difference a bit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
One point is 'set'. The car will set a little lower after awhile, than when brand new.. The springs just get used a bit, and then the car will hunker down just a little. This may account for the difference a bit.
There are an infinite number of variables.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
There are an infinite number of variables.
First things first - his coworker has to take the bodies out of his trunk for this comparison to make any sense.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Why would two 215 wide tires of the same type (regardless of wheel diameter) have two different shoulder to shoulder tread widths? 215 is the nominal width aka the width of the tire at it's widest point, which is the sidewall.
The tread width can vary as the aspect ratio changes. Take a 10" diameter circle and slice an 1" off the top and you now have an object that is 90% as tall as it is wide, in tire speak this would be a 90 series. If you were to take 4" off the the object it would be 60% as high as it is wide or in tire speak a 60 series. The width of the flat surface of the 90 series is a lot smaller than the 60 series.

That is how the tread width can vary for the same cross section tire and it can be quite a bit between a 70 series and a 50 series tire but won't be significant between a 50 and a 55.

Also, the same size tire may not actually measure the same between manufactures because there is no standards for how to measure them. The tread width can vary due how the tread is molded onto the carcass of the tire. I had a Goodyear 235/60 tire on my Barracuda that had a 1/2" wider tread than the 235/60 BF Goodrich tire that replaced them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think our cars with some 235's or 255's would look aggressive and handle like a champ. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
235 in the front, 255 in the back? it might work, i just dont have the rims or i would try it and let you guys know.

·
Registered
266 Posts
235 in the front, 255 in the back? it might work, i just dont have the rims or i would try it and let you guys know.
The titanium only has a 235 in the front and it has steering stops to prevent rubbing. Why would you want a wider tire on your non-power wheels? That is just "dead weight". A good 215 tread compound is better than an ok 235 tread compound.

·
Registered
276 Posts
why would you get an ok 235 vs a good 235? at the same time more surface area should allow for more traction in the turns. on top of that the car will look aggressive when parked :)

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
It will also be heavier, meaning you will be slower. And you'll have the turning radius of a barge.

·
Registered
266 Posts
An extra 20mm drastically change the turning radius?
Ask any titanium owner with handling package. It isn't the 2cm that makes the radius larger. It is the fact that the steering rack has stops to prevent rubbing. Meaning it does let the rack go all the way to the left or to the right. You won't have that in your SE so every time you try to cut it sharp you just look like a dumb a$$ and are obnoxious.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts