Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, call me paranoid, but I always try to change the oil in new cars before the recommended 3K miles. I have little trust in the quality of the oil that new car manufacturers put into the vehicles. So at 2K on the clock, I replaced the oil tonight - and I have to admit, with all the vehicles I have owned (and I have always replaced all my own oil) this 2012 Focus has been the easiest to do! Oil filter is right up front, plenty of room to get too and have enough leverage to twist it off [wrenchin]- thank you Ford for making it easy for us "do-it-yourselfers"!! [wiggle][wiggle] <--- happy dance

·
Registered
210 Posts
^^ is it worth the effort or is it just better to get it changed with the dealer. I think I have some 'free oil change' or something coupons. I've never done an oil change, by myself, before

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ is it worth the effort or is it just better to get it changed with the dealer. I think I have some 'free oil change' or something coupons. I've never done an oil change, by myself, before
Oh yea - its definitely worth doing it yourself! I changed my oil with full synthetic Mobile 1 and Fram high performance oil filter for just under $43. Most dealerships charge $60+ for full synthetic. Sure you get a little dirty, but to me its nice knowing the job is done with the care and respect I require when dealing with my belongings.

Would you mind posting what tool is needed for removal of the bottom cover?
Honestly I don't remember the size, but its one of the larger HEX tools I have in my box. There are 8 screws with hex tops that need to be removed in order to drop that underneath shield. Hope this helps, even if its a little bit. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful though. [:(]

·
Registered
524 Posts
10 bucks to get the oil changed at my dealership so I'll just use them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cool, I'm planning to do my first oil change myself as well. One of the first things I did when I got my baby was crawl underneath to figure out how to change the oil. Only pain is having to remove the cover underneath, but it's not to bad. What was the model # for your Fram filter? I want to use a K&N filter (the nut is handy for removing the filter) and I think a HP-1002 is the correct filter. But Amazon says it isn't, so I'm not sure. Figure I could cross reference the Fram filter you used.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cool, I'm planning to do my first oil change myself as well. One of the first things I did when I got my baby was crawl underneath to figure out how to change the oil. Only pain is having to remove the cover underneath, but it's not to bad. What was the model # for your Fram filter? I want to use a K&N filter (the nut is handy for removing the filter) and I think a HP-1002 is the correct filter. But Amazon says it isn't, so I'm not sure. Figure I could cross reference the Fram filter you used.
Careful using full synthetics on the first change. Your rings must seat properly. I believe this is discussed in the manual, and its been known that ford engines require a good wear-in period before you get the benefit of a good synthetic. I recommend 3K for change #1 and 5K as stated in the manual thereafter. JMHO

·
Registered
239 Posts
Honestly, I think changing the oil on your car can be fun. If not a learning experience anyway. Granted you do need some tools like an oil pan, jack stands and a decent jack (please don't use the crap one provided for emergencies with the car). I understand how the feeling goes though, an hour of some people's time may be worth more than the $20 they'll save.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can anyone confirm the size of the Torx that is needed? I change my own oil too, but I don't have any Torx bits or wrenches, but would like to pick one up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
stupid question but can DIY like this cause you problems if you need warranty repairs relating to engine? i mean, how will they confirm that all recommended maintenance has been done if they don't have the paperwork?

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Can anyone confirm the size of the Torx that is needed? I change my own oil too, but I don't have any Torx bits or wrenches, but would like to pick one up.
Might be better off grabbing a set anyways. I like the fold out ones, as it's harder to lose. Torx head fasteners are seeming to become a bit more popular lately.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm at almost 9000 miles yet, the change oil indicator has not yet revealed itself. Hopefully it will by 10k, otherwise I'll assume it's not functioning correctly.

I know its supposed to come on between 3k and 10k depending on your driving habbits. I just can't fatham that my habbits would warrent a 10k :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oil change indicator goes by engine revolutions... also by changing your own oil you can see if there are any internal issues with the engine. I did the third oil change in my H3 and found the oil to have a metallic look to it. Finally after a year of the dealer telling me nothing was wrong and 3 more oil changes (done by the dealer) the found heavy pre-mature wear on the cam, lifters and cylinder walls. I had to fight them tooth and nail to fix it but that's GM and another reason I will never buy another vehicle from them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts