Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when to do the first oil change? Manual says 10,000 miles.
When are you guys planning on doing your first oil change, and what oil, filter are you planning to use.
Any info would be appreciated, Thx[8D]

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did my first one early. Took it to the dealer, and the sticker they put on my car says castrol oil! So I'm wondering if they put in castrol or ford oil. Weird I wouldn't expect the dealer to put anything besides oem. Anyone see something similar?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
724 Posts
My son was the service manager at a Dodge dealer and oil, filters, spark plugs, brakes, exhaust and other general maintenance items were purchased from whomever they got a deal from. Especially oil it was always purchased in bulk in 55 gal. drums from a local distributor.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You answered your own question. The manual says 10000 miles so what is the controversy. If the manual says 10000 then I would say that means 10000 miles I don't mean to be a jerk but, I get tired of reading posts about maintenance requirements that are in the owner manual. You read it then you say I'm not going to do that I'm going to be different and ask someone on this web site about it. You will be one of the first ones to post "MY CAR IS BROKEN IT WON'T TURN ON!"

·
Banned
363 Posts
Mileage is a poor indicator of when to change your oil. However I'm not going to spend the cost for a blackstone analysis on five quarts of oil I will likely just change it when I do the trucks. Which will end up being about every four to six months.

Me.. I'll stick with Motorcraft Filters and Oil. Cheap at wal-mart and leaves no argument regarding filter quality. If it was good enough for the factory, it's good enough for me. I don't see a problem with any major brand as long as it meets the spec required for the engine. I haven't looked it up but I am sure it's not as stringent as the diesel specs are.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did my first one early. Took it to the dealer, and the sticker they put on my car says castrol oil! So I'm wondering if they put in castrol or ford oil. Weird I wouldn't expect the dealer to put anything besides oem. Anyone see something similar?
Posted via FF Mobile
Just got mine done at the dealer (first change free) last Sat with 4K miles on it, receipt said 'bulk oil' [:(] I'll probably drive it a bit more then put my own Mobil 1 in (like I use in all my vehicles, except diesel truck) when I get a chance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll either do the first one at 5k or wait for the oil monitor. I plan on using Motorcraft semi-synth oil and filter and will be changing it myself.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My salesman said first oil change was due at 5,000 miles. Turns out he's wrong and the car will tell you when to change the oil.

I had it changed at 5,000 anyways. The first service was on the house. I had them rotate the tires, too. The tire rotation wasn't free, but they did it for half-price (10 bucks instead of 20).

Sadly, they did not wash the car, and I suspect the porter farted in there when he brought it around. [xx(]

·
Registered
537 Posts
I did my first one at 3,000 and I'll do the next one at 6,000. I have the maintenance plan on my car so I might as well make the most of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do we have a database here of oil test results from Blackstone or similar? I replaced an Infiniti G35 and the G35Driver.com forums had a lot of information floating around about what oil worked best for a specific engine. I know the 2012 is a new design, but there should be some collateral data that we can bring forward, shouldn't there? I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself because I'm very picky about what goes into my cars. I'm going to be even more so after shelling out this much cash on a new car that I want to keep as new as possible as long as possible. :)

·
Banned
363 Posts
Do we have a database here of oil test results from Blackstone or similar? I replaced an Infiniti G35 and the G35Driver.com forums had a lot of information floating around about what oil worked best for a specific engine. I know the 2012 is a new design, but there should be some collateral data that we can bring forward, shouldn't there? I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself because I'm very picky about what goes into my cars. I'm going to be even more so after shelling out this much cash on a new car that I want to keep as new as possible as long as possible. :)
I would venture to guess that the blackstone data for this car is going to be light for a while. The user base is just not there yet.

I can justify running labs on my trucks and big generator engines where the cost to change the oil is huge and the data gathered is worthwhile.

I'm going to have a hard time spending 25$ to test a 30$ oil change just for the sake of looking at engine wear data on a commuter car. It just does not make economical sense. I'm money ahead to just change the oil at that point.

If you do decide to run the analysis, please share the data. As will I.

For the uninitiated... here is a link

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll probably do one on the initial change just to see what's going on with the new engine and the factory oil. In the meantime, I'll start looking around for data on similar design/duty engines. It only costs $25 for an analysis and that's pocket changed compared to what I just paid for this new, fully-loaded Titanium hatch.

·
Banned
363 Posts
I'll probably do one on the initial change just to see what's going on with the new engine and the factory oil. In the meantime, I'll start looking around for data on similar design/duty engines. It only costs $25 for an analysis and that's pocket changed compared to what I just paid for this new, fully-loaded Titanium hatch.
I'll probably do something similar.

I've got 2k on the engine now, will probably dump it in another 500 or so and install a fumoto valve at the same time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I did my first one at 800 and switched to Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and a Purolator PureOne filter. Oil analisis comes one the next change. I'm very interested to see how the Ford DI engine compares to our GMC Terrain with DI. My first analysis on our GM showed 4% fuel in the oil! On the Terrain forums oil in the gas is a common problem and people arent listening to their oil life monitor and doing them early because of the fuel dilution.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The oil is like your blood.
If it is messed up your engine is gonna be sick.
I like fresh oil.
They used to go with really often oil changes, Now the tide has turned to really long change intervals. I would guess the oil shortages matter there too.
Anyway, i am going to full synthetic Mobil One as soon as reasonable.
The stock Motorcraft filters are decent.
So I have 600+ miles on my two week plus old car.. and i am DYING to change the oil. (but i will wait for at least 1,000mi.. maybe 1,200mi if i can stand to wait.
I already bought the oil, filter and a filter plastic wrench to remove the first one...
After that, i screw the filter on with just my hand and a rubber cup, hand tight is all it needs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Was planning on doing toe first oil change under 1000 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic and a WIX brand filter.

Bill

1 - 20 of 73 Posts