Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
So my car is finally approaching the 4500KM mark and need an oil change soon. I was told it's good to bring your car into the dealership for your first couple oil changes since they use a special kind of oil the on the first couple of changes? Is this true?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
hell with the stealer!!!! i only go there if i realy need to. just do a search and you'll be set. i use amsoil. best stuff out there, if i was you i wouild really think about going full synthetic from the start.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not necessary to go to the dealer. However, they may be cheaper than what you can do it yourself. If you do choose to do the oil change yourself, keep the receipt for oil and filter as PROOF in case you have a warranty issue down the line (the dealer can claim that the car wasn't maintained properly). A receipt shows the job was done (with date. You can add the mileage).

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
So my car is finally approaching the 4500KM mark and need an oil change soon. I was told it's good to bring your car into the Stealership for your first couple oil changes since they use a special kind of oil the on the first couple of changes? Is this true?

Thanks.

On any new engine, regular petroleum oil is used up until the break in period expires. Anything after, you should be able to use what you choose. The dealer doesn't use any type of "special" oil, they just want to be able to inspect the car to make sure the engine is settling in correctly without problems.

And I concurr with bdnld on the synthetic fluid idea. Guess I'm just biased lol

look at my sig [poke]

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, so I can go to the dealership and tell them to put my choice of synthetic oil along with my choice of filter also?

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Thanks for the info, so I can go to the dealership and tell them to put my choice of synthetic oil along with my choice of filter also?
^^^^ i wouldnt do that if i was you. 1st the dealer will have a pissing contest with you saying that isnt what ford recamends.2nd how are you going to know if the dude working actully puts the synthetic in your car and not just puts stadared oil and pockets the oil you brought in and just try to return it to get cash back. 8 dollers at Q for amsoil x 5, you do the math . changing oil is simple you should try it. keep in mind that the dealer wants you to come back to see them , if you have oil that will last longer then theres how are they going to make any money. just a thought.[wrenchin]

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Agreeing with Bdnld, doing this could possibly void your warranty, so don't even attempt to ask...lol

I have products that when used in conjuction with each other, you won't have to service the oil until 25,000 miles later.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure I can change the oil myself, it's just that I don't have a garage or working space. I currently live in an appartment building and I have no place to work, Then I would have to buy some equipment and such. Working outside isn't ideal at the moment lol

So I'll have to figure something out I guess.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Agreeing with Bdnld, doing this could possibly void your warranty, so don't even attempt to ask...lol

I have products that when used in conjuction with each other, you won't have to service the oil until 25,000 miles later.
i wouldnt say it would void your warrenty but i do think ford dealers and its differant at every dealer, would look at it at differant ways. one dealer might say no problem and another would say to go f-ck yourself. your best bet is to eather change it yourself, even if you had to buy some things like a oil pan , you dont really need to jack it up if its at stock hight. or you can go to a local oil changing place where you can watch them very closly and ask them to do it .

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I changed my oil at 1100 miles and then I just changed it last week at 5600 miles. Pretty easy to change it my self since i work at a shop. I also use synthetic and even then I still change it ever 3000 to 4000 miles

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm sure I can change the oil myself, it's just that I don't have a garage or working space. I currently live in an apartment building and I have no place to work, Then I would have to buy some equipment and such. Working outside isn't ideal at the moment lol

So I'll have to figure something out I guess.

Maybe I'm just an ass today but, what is the point of this thread if you are not able to change it yourself at home?
You obviously have to pay for someone to change your oil, right?
Why not let the dealer do it for you and use the correct weight oil and recommended filter?

The special oil thing has been covered so I won't comment on that part.

O/T
If you notice I removed the word "stealership" from your posts. I always find it funny how you guys bitch and complain, but end up having to go to them anyways because of things just like this, no place and no tools. [screwy]

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used that term because it seems to be a very popular term to describe them. The point of the thread is to try and inform myself, learn and gather knowledge from people with experience on the matter. We all have to start somewhere. And no, I don't necessarily need someone to change it. I was going to inquire with some friends for space and tools (hence the I'll figure it out part) and attempt it myself because it's the only way to learn.

And about getting the dealer to recommending the oil and filter, what if I don't want to go with their recommendations? Seems like a lot of people have not been happy with their recommendations, even though I'm sure an issue as minuscule as an oil change probably doesn't matter because of the price of it. From what has been heard it seems the dealership doesn't like to go synthetic, which is a direction I'd like to go after informing myself on it.

I'm not trying to give you lip, I'm just trying to explain my motives behind the post. :)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm an easy going guy, don't worry about that lol.

I'm just saying that if you search around for recommended filters you'll find that the Motorcraft filter is in the top 5 (Penzoil and Fram being at the bottom with the cheapy Walmart ones above it, LMAO).
Motorcraft oil is semi-synthetic and about the best bang for your buck. Don't necessarily have to buy it from the dealer, shop around.

Not trying to plug Ford parts or anything, just saying that they do have decent products out there dollar per dollar.

Personally my car was a Mobil 1 baby since 48 miles. I've started using random oils now because I just don't care anymore; 140,xxx+ miles and running good. But I have noticed my mileage does drop when I use conventional oils, only a mpg or two.

Just stay away from Penzoil at all costs.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I'll see what the dealership has to say about it, then make my decision. I am leaning more towards going to a friend's place for now, but we'll see what happens. Either way, thanks for the info, much appreciated!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts