Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay what mileage has everyone been at when the oil change warning comes on? I am approaching 5K Miles and tonight went into the check my Sync My Ride account on the Ford page and my maintenance schedule tells me that I should change my oil in another 13K miles. That seems excessive.

So in short who's changed oil and at what milage?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
WOW your car climbs walls... (my car can't do that...[confused] )

As for oil change:
i did #1 at 1,000mi and could not get filter off.
So...
A
I did #2 at 2,000 miles and also changed the filter.

Now i have Mobile One 0W20 in my baby.
Motorcraft filter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You will get so many different openions on this subject so here is my 2 cents....I just do the every 5000 and rotate tires at the same time, just easy to keep up with.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Okay what mileage has everyone been at when the oil change warning comes on? I am approaching 5K Miles and tonight went into the check my Sync My Ride account on the Ford page and my maintenance schedule tells me that I should change my oil in another 13K miles. That seems excessive.

I'm believe the service interval on syncmyride is for the 20k service, not the oil change. Mine's always indicating my first service is at 20k, and it's been consistent on each report.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Take a look in the manual and it will have a schedule of all the maintenance requirements. Follow it and you will be fine. 7500 miles is the 1st scheduled oil change under normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got my first oil change at 3,000 miles. I swear the car's driven better ever since. so smooth.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The online sync maintenance schedule seems like it's not calculating correctly.

And also be careful if you are waiting for the oil change monitor to alert you. There are several threads where we are asking for anyone that has had the message. So far no one has had the message, even those over 10K miles.

From the 2012 Focus owner's manual:

Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™
Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ that
determines when the engine oil should be changed based on how your
vehicles is used. By using several important factors in its calculations,
the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduce
environmental waste at the same time. This means you won’t have to
remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule; the vehicle lets
you know when an oil change is due by displaying ENGINE OIL
CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the message center. The
following table is intended to provide examples of vehicle use and its
impact on engine oil change intervals; it is provided as a guideline only.
Actual engine oil change intervals will depend on several factors and will
generally decrease with severity of use.
When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message

Miles (km) Vehicle use and examples:

7500-10000
(12000-16000)
Normal
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load/towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling

5000-7499
(8000-11999)
Severe
– Moderate to heavy load/towing
– Mountainous or off-road conditions
– Extended idling
– Extended hot or cold operation

3000-4999
(4000-7999)
Extreme
– Maximum load/towing
– Extreme hot or cold operation

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just remembered, a similar oil life system in my Saturn never went off either at 10K, but I would change it at 10K anyways. Later on, around 170k, noticed the light would come just before 10K. As the mileage increased on the SUV, it would come on slightly earlier, about 9700km last time. Wondering if, as the engine ages the oil gets dirtier quicker??? Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i try to change my oil every 3000 miles with a filter everytime
Why? The manufacturer isn't telling you to do this, all the experts say it's unneeded, etc. Only the quick change oil company continue to perpetuate this myth of the need for a 3K oil change.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The quick change oil companies are the ones that started it. When they arrived on the seen the manufacturers were already recommending 6-7.5k mile oil changes for normal use.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Based on the ford owner site its says 10,000 miles which make since and the after that every 5000 miles.
That seems backwards? Why would first one be longer than remaining? Just asking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dude, change your oil when you want. Some folks will only do theirs at 10k miles. Others stick to 3k miles. I stick to the latter myself.

Why? The manufacturer isn't telling you to do this, all the experts say it's unneeded, etc. Only the quick change oil company continue to perpetuate this myth of the need for a 3K oil change.

Probably because neither the manufacturer(beyond the warranty)or the experts are responsible for paying for the maintenance or replacement of the vehicle or its components and this person does it on their own...instead of using a dealer or oil change place.

It's funny. The "car people" I hang around with or have worked(on vehicles) with stick to 3-5k intervals regardless of the expert recommendations while the folks who only know where the gas goes tend to do the 7500-10k interval. We also routinely get north of 200k miles out of our vehicles. This is real life though. I dunno how well that translates to the Internet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
based on MY owner site it says 10,000 miles for the first oil change and based on your driving condition the focus will notify you when the next one is due so it depends on how rough people are on their cars. So I was incorrect on the 5000 miles.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I agree with this guy:

You will get so many different openions on this subject so here is my 2 cents....I just do the every 5000 and rotate tires at the same time, just easy to keep up with.
If you are going to rotate your tires every 5k (which you should do) why not have them do oil at same time? Oil is cheap. I also have it done at Ford dealer using owner advantage. Every 4th change is free plus other reward dollars.

·
Registered
289 Posts
^This. I go every 5K, plus it gives me a routine check of other fluids and inspection of car as a whole. Easy to keep track of and the "extra" cost (vs. 10K) is not that significant to me.

I will add that the 3K interval is perpetuated by some of the dealerships I work with as well, even though the manufacturer's own recommendations differ. I think it is simply a revenue issue to them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Probably because neither the manufacturer(beyond the warranty)or the experts are responsible for paying for the maintenance or replacement of the vehicle or its components and this person does it on their own...instead of using a dealer or oil change place.

It's funny. The "car people" I hang around with or have worked(on vehicles) with stick to 3-5k intervals regardless of the expert recommendations while the folks who only know where the gas goes tend to do the 7500-10k interval. We also routinely get north of 200k miles out of our vehicles. This is real life though. I dunno how well that translates to the Internet.
I am a car person and have been since i was a teenager 40 years ago. I do my own work, build engines and trannies for my hotrods and have never changed oil on a 3k interval and have done every oil change myself in the past 40 years on all my cars. My daily drivers all go mid 200k's before replacing them and none of them have had an engine in need of a rebuild when i retired them.

So there is an example of real world following the manufacturers recommendations.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Forgot....maybe someone should start a poll on this. [:D]

·
Registered
663 Posts
I did my first oil change around 1k miles, the second at 3k miles, planing my next around 6k miles. After that it will be 4k to 5k intervals. When you check the oil, if it is clean, not dark, let it go. If it is dark/dirty, change it. Simple. The 7,500+ interval recommended by manufactures is to reduce their cost of ownership numbers. The 3 month, 3k miles is to keep Jiffy Lube types in business. The truth lies somewhere in between.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts