Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I purchased a '14 SE sedan in late January. The dealership said I don't need to do the very first oil change until 7,500 miles, which seems like an eternity for a new car, and contradicts everything I've ever heard about new engines (usually 1000-2000.)

I'm currently at 2,500 miles, but this is irking me more and more each day. Is the dealership right, or should I just ask them to change the oil anyway?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but my first oil change was at 3000 miles. I was told not until 5000 miles but I like to be cautious. Especially on the first oil change.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hey! I purchased a '14 SE sedan in late January. The dealership said I don't need to do the very first oil change until 7,500 miles, which seems like an eternity for a new car, and contradicts everything I've ever heard about new engines (usually 1000-2000.)

I'm currently at 2,500 miles, but this is irking me more and more each day. Is the dealership right, or should I just ask them to change the oil anyway?

What do you guys think?
Remember, your car has an oil monitoring system -- will advise when it's time to change. With that said, and the disagreement as to how advisable it is to change based solely on that, you'll have to decide for yourself.

I see no reason why you can't go 5k between changes.

Unless you are in extreme driving situations where a 3k change interval may be more advised.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remember, your car has an oil monitoring system -- will advise when it's time to change. With that said, and the disagreement as to how advisable it is to change based solely on that, you'll have to decide for yourself.

Unless you are in extreme driving situations where a 3k change interval may be more advised.
I'm not in extreme driving situations, but I've always heard to change the oil in a brand new engine early on, around 1k miles, because there'll be some small shards of metal from the parts getting worn in. Shows no warnings and runs great, just curious what others thought of going until 7500 miles for the first one.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just my opinion but yes, 2500 miles sounds good for the first oil change... Then 6000-7500 is fine for regular intervals if you take it to the dealership and get the Works deal where they use genuine Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil and filter... It's only $40 at the most and they check your brakes and everything, rotate your tires, all that, it's a pretty good deal... I've gone 7500 at the most and never have gotten even once a warning about oil life ending soon or anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll go next weekend (my car is buried under a foot of snow...) Thanks! Just needed a few more opinions, this is my first brand new car. Wanna do everything right and keep er going for years.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Welcome to new cars, the days of 3,000 miles or less oil changes are over. My first oil change on my Focus was 10,000 miles when my oil monitoring system told me it needed to be done.

You're always free to get it done sooner, but you're just wasting time and money.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Welcome to new cars, the days of 3,000 miles or less oil changes are over. My first oil change on my Focus was 10,000 miles when my oil monitoring system told me it needed to be done.

You're always free to get it done sooner, but you're just wasting time and money.
$40 is a small price to pay for his peace of mind when he wants to be cautious with his first new car... I wouldn't say that's a waste to get your first oil change around 3000 miles either. The oil filter will probably have some metal particles, not like in the old days of wider engine tolerances where you'd want to do your first at 1000 miles, but 3000 miles sounds perfectly reasonable to me when he's going to keep it a long time.

Let's watch the tone about judging his maintenance schedule when there are absolutely plenty of things to consider when being cautious... Especially when a car company would LOVE to sell you a new car in 10 years when you change your oil only every 10k miles.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Dude asked for everyones thoughts, I gave him my thoughts. Don't want my opinion? Don't go on a public forum asking for everyones thoughts.

And no dealer is going to give you advice that's going to make you blow your engine early. If you your engine blows up early, and you go to the same dealer, you're a moron.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts

BS. If you let the OLM tell you when to do your first oil change, you may well be at 10,000 miles before it alerts. The initial factory fill needs to be changed at an abbreviated period as it contains metal particles and assembly compounds.

I advise at 1000 miles and no later than 3000 for the initial oil change. Subsequent changes should follow Ford general guidelines:

http://support.ford.com/maintenance/when-to-change-oil

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I did my first one at 3,000 miles and have done everyone since every 3,000 miles. i just do the works oil change at the dealer. $40 bucks for syn blend motocraft oil, tire rotation, car wash and inspection. good deal to me.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
BS. If you let the OLM tell you when to do your first oil change, you may well be at 10,000 miles before it alerts. The initial factory fill needs to be changed at an abbreviated period as it contains metal particles and assembly compounds.

I advise at 1000 miles and no later than 3000 for the initial oil change. Subsequent changes should follow Ford general guidelines:

We have any documented cases where the OLM goes > 10k miles? And doesn't the filter remove wear metals -- except those too small to be removed by the filter of course.

I remember oil analysis on my 1999 F150 -- factory fill and the wear metals were no more on subsequent oil analysis after a few changes with analysis each time. Granted I did first change at about 3k+. Your 1k sounds like something from the 1960s.

Maybe these 2.0 GDIs just wear worse than old school push rod engines. Maybe he should change oil every 2k miles. Heck, change factory fill oil and filter at 500 miles. Can't be too safe.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
RE: BlueIce - I wasn't talking about any dealer, I was talking about Ford or any other car manufacturer loving to sell you a new car when your engine needs a complete rebuild at 200k miles. While that may or not be true, changing your oil only once every 10k miles could be seen as trusting their intentions a little too blindly. In fact, his dealer said every 7.5k, not the 10k you mention. Yes, this is a public forum, but I also look at this as a community and we should be trying to help each other with good information or be ready to be questioned a bit about blunt statements. No offense, I'd just love to hear more on why you think so clearly that it's a complete waste when he's trying to do what's best for his new car.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Exactly this, 5000-7500 in general. I just say with the tight tolerances of new engines, leaning closer to 3000 miles up from 1000, is probably pretty safe.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

Guess this link gives reason to never believe the IOLM:

2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first

-OR-

2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first

My IOLM system didn't go off at all. My build date was Oct 2013, purchased Dec 2013, got first oil change at 2999 miles in Nov 2014 -- well past 6 months from Oct 2013 or Dec 2013.

·
Registered
845 Posts
RE: BlueIce - I wasn't talking about any dealer, I was talking about Ford or any other car manufacturer loving to sell you a new car when your engine needs a complete rebuild at 200k miles. While that may or not be true, changing your oil only once every 10k miles could be seen as trusting their intentions a little too blindly. In fact, his dealer said every 7.5k, not the 10k you mention. Yes, this is a public forum, but I also look at this as a community and we should be trying to help each other with good information or be ready to be questioned a bit about blunt statements. No offense, I'd just love to hear more on why you think so clearly that it's a complete waste when he's trying to do what's best for his new car.
Car manufacturers build in the oil life monitor for a reason, and it's not just for fun. They don't want to sell you a car that's going to need an engine rebuild. They want to sell you a car that's going to last. They know if it dies prematurely, you're going to go to a different manufacturer.

Can you change your oil early at first? Sure. I wouldn't do it 1,000. 3-5k for the first one is probably a better bet. Even then, it's all subjective and everyone has a different opinion. Mine? Anything harmful to your engine is going to be caught by the oil filter. Metal that gets through the oil filter is microscopic and won't really harm your engine. Usually you can see it if you have about a 10x microscope.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Car manufacturers build in the oil life monitor for a reason, and it's not just for fun. They don't want to sell you a car that's going to need an engine rebuild. They want to sell you a car that's going to last. They know if it dies prematurely, you're going to go to a different manufacturer.

Can you change your oil early at first? Sure. I wouldn't do it 1,000. 3-5k for the first one is probably a better bet. Even then, it's all subjective and everyone has a different opinion. Mine? Anything harmful to your engine is going to be caught by the oil filter. Metal that gets through the oil filter is microscopic and won't really harm your engine. Usually you can see it if you have about a 10x microscope.
Good stuff everyone... that's why I love this forum so much. [twothumbs]

·
Registered
23 Posts

Guess this link gives reason to never believe the IOLM:

2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first

-OR-

2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first

My IOLM system didn't go off at all. My build date was Oct 2013, purchased Dec 2013, got first oil change at 2999 miles in Nov 2014 -- well past 6 months from Oct 2013 or Dec 2013.
Read the whole article. Especially the portion on the IOLM. "Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM."

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Read the whole article. Especially the portion on the IOLM. "Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM."
Yes, thanks. That part I understand. I should have explicitly asked "Does the IOLM take into account time?" In my case it did not -- at least not at the 6 month interval. Makes me wonder if it does at the 1 year interval -- regardless of internal "count" the IOLM maintains.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts