Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided to do the oil change at 1K miles. I was undecided, but went for it anyway.
So I get the car up, get under, no problem. Ramps perfect.
The front aero was interesting, glad it does not have to be fully removed to get past it.
Took out the oil, then on to filter. Jeez.. No way to get in there at all with the clamp and lever I bought the last new Focus.. To many parts too close to the filter..
The sort of oil filter removal tool which is a cap that fits the bottom of the oil filter could be ideal, it seems to fit tight, but it still slips.
That tool would work and is easy to use if only it did not slip.

So I temporarly gave up and filled with oil leaving the original filter in place.
That happened last new car too.

Anyway, My plan is to add some self tapping bolt into the sides of the cap type filter removal tool. Then screw three (or four) of them through the filter removal tool INTO the fliter in place so it cannot slip.
That is the plan anyway. If they rip the filter apart??? that would be bad. But I cannot see any other way to get it off. Unless some guy with a grip of absolute iron wanted to come over and unscrew it barehanded..

Anyway that will wait until the next oil change..

Anyone else with brainy ideas on how to remove the filter. (I have pretty weak hand strength, so a screwdriver through it is not a good idea. Plus there just is no space in there for a screwdriver to turn anyway.)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
When cap type is the best access for a wrench but it slips, there are three jaw self adjusting wrenches that work with a ratchet & extensions as needed.

They clamp tighter as more force is applied & will take off most "stuck" filters without slipping.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When cap type is the best access for a wrench but it slips, there are three jaw self adjusting wrenches that work with a ratchet & extensions as needed.

They clamp tighter as more force is applied & will take off most "stuck" filters without slipping.
OK, Yes, I forgot about those.. thanks.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I destroyed the filter on my 2011 removing it for the first oil change.

Couldn't get it off by hand, so moved to a filter wrench. That wouldn't remove it, just slipped. Moved on to a pair of channellocks. That just bent and scraped the paint off. Tried the screwdriver trick ... the screwdriver cut the filter in half all the way around. Ended up with a chisel and hammer and had to drive it off like that.

Have NEVER seen a filter that tight before!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I've never had a problem removing an oil filter with a good strap wrench.

Slipping? No problem, use a rag or cloth towel between the strap and the filter.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never had a problem removing an oil filter with a good strap wrench.

Slipping? No problem, use a rag or cloth towel between the strap and the filter.
I may also buy a handleless strap wrench.. So I have several alternatives when the time comes..LOL

The least destructive first (which would be the strap wrench)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I destroyed the filter on my 2011 removing it for the first oil change.

Couldn't get it off by hand, so moved to a filter wrench. That wouldn't remove it, just slipped. Moved on to a pair of channellocks. That just bent and scraped the paint off. Tried the screwdriver trick ... the screwdriver cut the filter in half all the way around. Ended up with a chisel and hammer and had to drive it off like that.

Have NEVER seen a filter that tight before!
WOW, I remember my first oil change on my new motorcycle, I couldn't budge it by hand, bought the little filter removal tool (the adjustable kind) and it didn't work just bent the crap out of it. I finally got it off by driving a screwdriver into it and it too started ripping it in half, but luckily it finally came off. I told my wife that the incredible hulk put that oil filter on. It seems he must put all the oil filters on for new cars.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Never had luck with the screwdriver trick on a tight one. Once the body is damaged by attempting to twist from the end some manner of twisting it at the base is needed.

Flex handle metal strap type is my favorite for many locations, only a few don't have room for one of those.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
K&N oil filters have a nut on them that prevents this.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have not had a chance to look under my Focus. In the past when I had a slipping wrench I would fold a piece of sandpaper over it so it would grab the filter. It might be worth a try. easy and cheap. good luck

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not had a chance to look under my Focus. In the past when I had a slipping wrench I would fold a piece of sandpaper over it so it would grab the filter. It might be worth a try. easy and cheap. good luck
The real problem is no access. The turbo pipe runs nearby, and the compressor for the AC is also right there(I think that is what it is.. It might be the alternator, but I do not think so) engine behind, radiator in front
So all FOUR sides are boxed in. You can get your hand in there... Why I want 'Mr Clean' to show up.. (He should be able to do it barehanded...) LOL
Only access is straight UP to the filter. So no tool with any sort of sticking out handle can be used.
Whatever has some leverage it would have to be from below.
The only sort is something with a 3/8 drive so I could use an extension to a rachet.
The 3 finger gripper type can do, also the strap with a 3/8 drive (rather than a handle) or the cup like formed type (which I have but slips like crazy) Those all have a 3/8 drive and can be used with an extension and a rachet

·
Registered
30 Posts
What has helped me in the past is a good pair of very grippy gloves. Just grab it and turn it like your wife, girlfriend or Mom asked you to open up a stuck jar of strawberry jam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stab a hole in it wih a screwdriver then force a small 90 degree allen wrench into the hole. Then you'll have something to grab.
That'll work just as good as grippy gloves. Thanks cheap sleeper, now I have a "if all else fails" method. I never thought of that. Very creative and effective. Or just get a very long phillips screwdriver and forget the allen key.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same issue on my finances jetta. Strap wrench helped, had to hammer it lightly with a rubber side of my gerber. The filters harder to get to than on a focus.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts