Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my car (2011 SE)about 2-3 years now. I’ve put a stereo and subs in it, I’ve plasti dipped the grille, rims, and emblems but now I’m wanting more. I have a motorcycle I’m hoping to get 1000 or more out of but more realistically 800. I would love to do a turbo but I’m a broke college kid. So I’m settling for the usual CAI, Exhaust, and tune, and probably lowering springs afterward, all from fswerks. My main goal is to have more fun with my car and renew my excitement for driving. So will I notice anything from these mods for just daily driving? And where is the cheapest places to buy these parts. I’ve seen the exhaust is cheaper at cfm.com (abbreviated link) and was wondering if there’s any other lesser known sites to buy from. As well as if any sites have sales for Black Friday, cyber Monday etc. Are these mods gonna get me the most bang for my buck performance and fun wise? I also will have to choose between race and stealth exhaust. The rational side of me says stealth but passion in me says go race and forget all else lol. I really don’t want to spend more than 1000 at upfront costs. Anything higher I can put off for now. I just need some help and advice here. I don’t want to be a ricer but I want to enjoy my car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would do my Custom Tune and the results will be better

I would also do the Autolite AR103 plugs and a 180 deg thermostat

Tom

I was definitely planning on getting a tune from you. What is the current price on a tune and flash? And do you sell any of the older ones to maybe make it a little cheaper?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Personally I would get a set of SES tail and head lights to complete the blacked out look. Also would suggest window tint either way if you don't go that route. Nice looking car so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally I would get a set of SES tail and head lights to complete the blacked out look. Also would suggest window tint either way if you don't go that route. Nice looking car so far.

I’d prefer the ses lights front and back but the prices are ridiculous for them as far I can see. I planned on doing tint here soon. Possibly 20-25% on front windows and 5% on the rears. Thank you though, I’ve also looked into tinting a tail lights slightly but am not sold on it yet. For safety reasons and because they still won’t look as good as the SESs

·
Registered
227 Posts
Going to be honest, intake and exhaust is mostly for the fun noises it will add not much power for your $ until you get a header and tune with it. Not trying to talk you out of it just giving advice gained from personal experience.

If you're dead set on that route; go for it, FSWERKS makes an awesome intake kit that bolts in and there is also a third exhaust they make (street) that is a nice balance between stealth/race. I would go on youtube and do a lot of research on what different exhausts are around and what they sound like before changing anything.

Does your car have a rear sway bar? If not adding one is one of the best bang for your buck mods you can do. Is your car a manual? A short throw shifter can help the car feel "sportier" on the cheap. You can make the car handle a ton better for the $ than throwing it at performance and not gaining very much at all.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going to be honest, intake and exhaust is mostly for the fun noises it will add not much power for your $ until you get a header and tune with it. Not trying to talk you out of it just giving advice gained from personal experience.

If you're dead set on that route; go for it, FSWERKS makes an awesome intake kit that bolts in and there is also a third exhaust they make (street) that is a nice balance between stealth/race. I would go on youtube and do a lot of research on what different exhausts are around and what they sound like before changing anything.

Does your car have a rear sway bar? If not adding one is one of the best bang for your buck mods you can do. Is your car a manual? A short throw shifter can help the car feel "sportier" on the cheap. You can make the car handle a ton better for the $ than throwing it at performance and not gaining very much at all.

Yeah fun noises do a lot for the soul lol. So after some consideration, I think I will consider doing only one mod for now. If you had to suggest one, would you choose exhaust, a tune, or a rear sway bar? Obviously they are different prices and do different things. But which will bring the biggest change to my car? My car is an auto so no fun stuff for me in that category.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Okay if you had to pick one I'd go for the exhaust. You will make more noise, maybe a little power and it looks better than the 1 inch pipe sticking out from the back.

The rear sway bar is nice to have but if you already have one it won't be as major an improvement. Mine didn't come with one from the factory so the improvement was drastic. You can look underneath the rear to see if there is one bolted on already.

A tune you typically want to get after intake/exhaust so wait on that for awhile IMO

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay if you had to pick one I'd go for the exhaust. You will make more noise, maybe a little power and it looks better than the 1 inch pipe sticking out from the back.

The rear sway bar is nice to have but if you already have one it won't be as major an improvement. Mine didn't come with one from the factory so the improvement was drastic. You can look underneath the rear to see if there is one bolted on already.

A tune you typically want to get after intake/exhaust so wait on that for awhile IMO

That’s what I had figured, mine is an SE model so I’m assuming it didn’t come with it from the factory. Do you own any of the fswerks exhausts?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think only SES had them from the factory, unless someone added one before you had the car. You can go look under the rear of your car for something like the blue bar in this thread: https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/wheels-tires/180220-zx4-se-steeda-rear-sway-install-w-pics.html (Might not be blue necessarily)

You will need to get the car or at least the rear off of the ground to install it so keep that in mind if you do get a sway bar. Having someone there to help made a big difference for me.

And no I don't have an FSWERKS exhaust but I've done a lot of homework and it will be the one I do get in the future. Welcome to TruBendz - Mandrel bends, Exhaust systems, Downpipes and Mufflers They sell a cat back for a little less, heard good things about them as well.

·
FF Affiliate
30,679 Posts
I was definitely planning on getting a tune from you. What is the current price on a tune and flash? And do you sell any of the older ones to maybe make it a little cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I only have new , I sell the SCT X4 , Full Custom Tune , free lifetime unlimited Tune updates as you add more NA mods , Datalogging , US shipped for 462.00

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts