Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I think after searching and reading i have narrowed my first mod to one of these:

1 - Magnaflow catback exhaust system w/TruBendz flex pipe
2 - Eibach Springs or H&R ?
3 - new FC TB (dang more acronyms to learn now)
4 - CAI (Iceman or MAC Short Ram?)
5 - 2 PC UDP kit

OK now please be kind as I am new to car modding...but here are my questions...

1 - do i need any other parts to get max. benefit from the exhaust?
2 - any recommened springs? I am keeping my stock 16s for now as winter is coming
3 - i live in Winnipeg, MB Canada and its very hot in summer and very cold and snowy in winter with a good dose of rain - i read that some CAI's like the Volant may get water seepage - in this case do i go shortie? is there a noticeable performance diff. between going short or long?
4 - is my order fubarred?

thx in advance this forum rocks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you're going to do headers (a good idea [thumb] ) , you will want to do a high flow cat if you don't go with a race header. High flows are pricey, but a shorty header will kill your stock cat eventually. I have heard of many good things about the eibach pro kit suspension, and plan on getting it for myself in the near future. Also, the likelihood of water ingestion with the volant is somwhere between slim and negative two, due to the fact that it uses a box and is in the same location as stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awebb said:
If you're going to do headers (a good idea [thumb] ) , you will want to do a high flow cat if you don't go with a race header. High flows are pricey, but a shorty header will kill your stock cat eventually. I have heard of many good things about the eibach pro kit suspension, and plan on getting it for myself in the near future. Also, the likelihood of water ingestion with the volant is somwhere between slim and negative two, due to the fact that it uses a box and is in the same location as stock.

Thx for the welcome folks!

OK sounds reasonable enough - can i get opinions on this combination? (I'm a n00b to engines etc) and need all the advice i can get...PS -> i wont be doing the work but will supervise...[thumb]
OR do I not need the MAC Short RAM Air Intake if I get the High Flow Cat? *UNSURE HERE*

FC - High flow Cat Pipe
MagnaFlow Cat Back
FC Shorty Header
MAC Short RAM Air Intake ( I may do this myself as it seems easy enough)
TruBendz Flex Pipe

is this a reasonable start for about $1000 USD (im in canada)[???:)]

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I had the Iceman on my old car and am gonna put it on the new one. It is a great CAI especially if you don't want to have the motor screaming in your ear the hole time you are in the car. I tried the MAC Short Ram too and thought it was too loud. Besides that, the other suggestions and the list you have now is pretty nice.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
i would get a little more and buy a volant intake...
is worth it !

just for a little more you will have the best intake on the market for the focus....

why not a race header ?

Joel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
el_pio said:
i would get a little more and buy a volant intake...
is worth it !

just for a little more you will have the best intake on the market for the focus....

why not a race header ?

Joel
*edited bit* --> Volant's are also only 50 bucks more through newedgeperformance - --- see a little help spends money LOL

will my car still be street legal w/race header? if so, then an 80 buck diff. isnt much IMHO

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
do you have emission test in canada?
i dont know the emissions laws in canada

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jisturm said:
Canada is pretty strict with emissions aren't they

this is what i found for Manitoba, Canada

Many provinces have legislation making it illegal to tamper with vehicle pollution control devices. Manitoba does not have such requirements, as yet. However, the Province will be participating with other provinces and the federal government soon to ensure that Manitoban's approach to vehicle emission standards will be consistent with other jurisdictions.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/airquality/aq-management/index.html

I will post findings for Canada if/when i find something...a lot of legalese...

·
Registered
816 Posts
enroh said:

do I not need the MAC Short RAM Air Intake if I get the High Flow Cat? *UNSURE HERE*
I didn't see if anyone answered your question, so I'll give it a shot. You will still want to do an intake if you do a high flow cat. THe cat is an exhaust component and the intake is an intake component. One of your main goals with tuning is to get more air into the engine and more exhaust out. The intake helps with the in and the high flow cat helps with the out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awebb said:
I didn't see if anyone answered your question, so I'll give it a shot. You will still want to do an intake if you do a high flow cat. THe cat is an exhaust component and the intake is an intake component. One of your main goals with tuning is to get more air into the engine and more exhaust out. The intake helps with the in and the high flow cat helps with the out.
- gotcha and i think my plan of attack is ready to execute.

- as for emissions, i would think that (since i found nothing concrete on the 'net) i could replace the stock header if/when i sell the car so it would pass a safety test thats done to all vehicles here (yeah i know its 2 hours work or so i read anyways)

- the only other question i think i have right now is noise level (as i read more) usually the tunes are cranked so outside noise is minimal but is it loud? I have heard the catback noise on the focus already and i like that its not ricey in any way - but what about the header and CAI?

again thx all - pics coming soon...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dont forget cam timing, underdrive pullies, plugs and wires.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If it helps anY:
I have the volant cai with the magnaflow cat back in florida, and temperature here has been changing a lot lately.Dont know much about the others cai but on hot days it DID make a difference to have the volant rather than a short ram intake, and it does look awesome when you open the hood.The thing sounds menacing when you drop the hammer into the higher revs!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts