Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my first mod arrived. With the filter installed and running 93 octane I am way up in my mpg's and throttle response is amazing. Two weeks ago I was ready to trade this thing off due to tranny problems but that was resolved (through an outside source not Ford by the way since they didn't know what to do apparently). Any way falling in love with this car again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice! May I ask how much that set you back?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow I was expecting it to be over 200. Good deal.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
How about adding a tune as well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok here's what the trans was doing.

1st symptom. Going down the interstate it would quit pulling, as in RPM went way up but car quit pulling.
2nd symptom. Typical shuddering
3rd symptom. Car literally jumped up and down taking off from a stop but no forward momentum.
4th symptom. Would stick in first gear and not upshift.
After 4 trips to the dealer and being told it was normal operating procedure (which is laughable) here's what we did.
Had everything reset and I mean everything completely wiped and reflashed. Update installed to change the pressures of the tranny which is a bulletin from Ford right now on these apparently. Checked the ground on the TCM, cleaned with sandpaper and reinstalled.

After all this it was better but not great by any means. But it did get rid of all the symtoms and troubles it was having, it just seemed sluggish. After installing air filter and switching to 93 octane, all I can say is it is a totally different car, daylight and dark different.

When my wife says "what did you do to my car because it is way different" then you know it is different.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually almost traded this car off a cpl weeks ago. I am so glad I didn't. With the exception of my 13 150 I absolutely love this car again. Trying to get it ready for FocusFest as we speak. It won't be done but we will be there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bumping for info on trans fix...

and awesome MPG BTW!
Ya I am loving the mpg now. I actually got 43.1 going into town today and 38.4 while in town. Then it went into sport mode and got it down to 34. But hey man you gotta have fun, even 34 isn't bad when your smiling.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I can assume your reflash & cleaning of the grounds did a lot of good, and many have been VERY happy with the air filter change (particularly with snorkle delete) and higher octane fuel.

Did want to mention that there aren't any "pressures" in the trans to adjust since there is no fluid drive at all in these DCT's. Same transmission fluid as the 5-spds. in the gearbox & the dual dry clutches. TCM does the shifting of the manual trans & controls the actuators moving the clutches to engage them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
8000 miles? I traded at 32,000.... After Ford messed with the tranny multiple times, clutch packs, reprogramming and replaced the case. DCT = total POS. I don't understand how VW/Audi can get it right and Ford cannot. Your mpg is killer. Mpg is all I miss.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can assume your reflash & cleaning of the grounds did a lot of good, and many have been VERY happy with the air filter change (particularly with snorkle delete) and higher octane fuel.

Did want to mention that there aren't any "pressures" in the trans to adjust since there is no fluid drive at all in these DCT's. Same transmission fluid as the 5-spds. in the gearbox & the dual dry clutches. TCM does the shifting of the manual trans & controls the actuators moving the clutches to engage them.
Pressures is the word he used. I spoke with him earlier, he said my problem was the launch control settings and a ground wire that was not torqued tight enough on the chassis for his liking. I am going to go out on a limb here and say this has cured my problem. I really hope I am not jinxing my fix. I am more and more impressed everytime I drive it. I just hope it keeps this up. It's nice being able to get in it and feel like I do when I drive my truck.[headbang]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
8000 miles? I traded at 32,000.... After Ford messed with the tranny multiple times, clutch packs, reprogramming and replaced the case. DCT = total POS. I don't understand how VW/Audi can get it right and Ford cannot. Your mpg is killer. Mpg is all I miss.
Man this started at 500 miles and has drug out to about 7200 miles. All seems well now. On the 2014 there is an update for them from FORD. Hate you had bad luck. I was about to trade mine off as well. If it starts again I will. I refuse to go through this again and I will trade it off if it starts again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Man this started at 500 miles and has drug out to about 7200 miles. All seems well now. On the 2014 there is an update for them from FORD. Hate you had bad luck. I was about to trade mine off as well. If it starts again I will. I refuse to go through this again and I will trade it off if it starts again.

Well I did end up in a ST so I am pretty happy. I really liked my 12 SEL but I couldn't take it vibrating at 55mph on a smooth road. Not to mention Ford arguing with me that this is the way the car feels, idiots. So bad my non car person wife was asking "what's wrong with your car?... Should have bought a Honda like me" LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I did end up in a ST so I am pretty happy. I really liked my 12 SEL but I couldn't take it vibrating at 55mph on a smooth road. Not to mention Ford arguing with me that this is the way the car feels, idiots. So bad my non car person wife was asking "what's wrong with your car?... Should have bought a Honda like me" LOL
I hear ya on the whole Ford thing. I was told "this is normal operating procedure", I responded "Ford designed a car that the normal operating procedure for a car to jump up and down when you take off but won't move forward and sounds like a sledgehammer hitting things under the hood?" he reply was a simple "yes", idiots to say the least.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts