Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
how did you get the bars out!? I tried but felt like I was going to break something.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Are you using black paint on the reflectors?

The grill pieces are a pain to get out, but worth it IMO to apply vinyl or paint properly. I removed the whole grill housing they are in then unclipped the hooks w/ a screwdriver. I also felt like I was going to break something the entire time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just removed the top grill that has FORD on it. The pressed out the chrome.

Yes I am painting the the red reflectors. Everything. Lol

·
Registered
444 Posts
can you post pics or instructions on how you got the grill off? id like to paint the chrome inserts over just having vinyl on them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes I am painting the the red reflectors. Everything. Lol
I understand that, but are you literally using paint on reflectors? Or are you going to use a vinyl to smoke them? I've just never heard of someone actually spray painting them. I am wondering the legality of doing this.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand that, but are you literally using paint on reflectors? Or are you going to use a vinyl to smoke them? I've just never heard of someone actually spray painting them. I am wondering the legality of doing this.
Yes, paint.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Agreed (Safety Issue)
The reflectors are there for visibility in case your tail lights fail.
Painting them will disable that feature and could cause a safety issue, legal issue and even an insurance issue. (School Fees)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed (Safety Issue)
The reflectors are there for visibility in case your tail lights fail.
Painting them will disable that feature and could cause a safety issue, legal issue and even an insurance issue. (School Fees)
Since theres no law about reflectors, it's all good. Idk about outside the US?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Reflectors work the same as taillights in the regard that smoked out reflectors must still appear visibly red when light is shown upon them or in the case of taillights when they are illuminated. Smoking reflectors is not new, and in fact several companies sell smoked out reflector sets for cars, like Street Unit for Mazda.

Using Nightshade or Niteshade however it's spelled won't be illegal unless you paint them enough to actually cover them, obviously.

have fun! Pics are a must!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand the concept of the reflector. Most cars on the road do not have rear reflectors. Some manufactures do add two on the bottom of the rear bumper for added safety, but isn't mandatory or a law. Me painting them black as night will not get me pulled over or a ticket.

Pictures sure to come.

Btw if there is such a law, someone Please advise me and I will not black them out.

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who's in Texas?
Focus taillights have reflectors built in. It's the law...Shine a flashlight at them, at night of course. Report back

·
Registered
588 Posts
It really won't matter if there is a law about it or not, when your parked car gets hit by someone who didn't see it because you 'smoked out' the reflectors.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It really won't matter if there is a law about it or not, when your parked car gets hit by someone who didn't see it because you 'smoked out' the reflectors.
Has anyone looked at the taillights we have ? I mean really. It's one big reflector. Side and rear.......please don't flame my post!!! That's not why it's here. If u disagree, that's your choice. This post isn't about a reflectors. Thank you.

Anyways I've decided to try a few different things. I will keep you posted:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Has anyone looked at the taillights we have ? I mean really. It's one big reflector. Side and rear.......please don't flame my post!!! That's not why it's here. If u disagree, that's your choice. This post isn't about a reflectors. Thank you.

We do it purposely, just to irritate you and others like you, to try to convince you that it's wrong to hack a brand new car. A lot of people that encourage modding on this Forum have their cars Stock Standard, you can see by the photos they post. You paid a lot of money for Your Focus, Protect your investment. And by the way, you are irritated, the objective has been met.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Just had a close look at them. They have built-in reflectors on the sides, but not back. Of course it's generally the law to have side and rear facing rear red reflectors, and front side-facing orange. In truth, you're unlikely to ever get bothered about it, unless you're taking your car in for some kind of safety inspection.

Now, on topic, have you considered tinting them for aesthetic reasons? It may look funny painted black in the black plastic that surrounds it. Tinting would make them blend much more, but still keep them from looking odd.

Photoshop might be our friend here..!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We do it purposely, just to irritate you and others like you, to try to convince you that it's wrong to hack a brand new car. A lot of people that encourage modding on this Forum have their cars Stock Standard, you can see by the photos they post. You paid a lot of money for Your Focus, Protect your investment. And by the way, you are irritated, the objective has been met.
Dont worry about what anyone does with their car. Defininty not hacking my car up. But if I did, its my choice. Peace fellas...

·
Registered
444 Posts
can someone post how to get the center grill with the form emblem out? id like to paint the chrome pieces instead of just having the vinyl cover them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts