Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hit 50K on my Focus and the K&N I installed in the first 1K miles was ready to be cleaned per K&N's recommendations (check at 25K and clean/re-oil at 50K). It wasn't too dirty. Cleaning is easy, just spray the "Power Kleen" all over, let it sit 10 minutes, and take a hose and from the inside run water (low pressure) through all portions of the filter until the water ran clear. Let it sit a few hours to dry. Finally, spray (I got the aerosl oil kit b/c I figured it was easier) and coat it until it is all reddish color. Let it dry overnight and re-install. Done!

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics of what?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Pics of what?
Pics of the process and how it looks when you're done. I was more just giving you a hard time. lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would add cleaning the MAF sensor to the job if you run an oiled filter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I cleaned my K&N drop in once when I had it and was as simple as you say; the part I was super careful with was to not over oil it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah definitely don't over oil and let it dry completely. But your pretty spot on at a 50k cleaning. That's when I normally do mine and like you said I never noticed it being really dirty. Also I clean my MAF sensor a week after just incase any excess oil was to get on it afterwards, just make sure you get the electronic cleaner and don't use carb cleaner as some people might recommend. I tried that on my old ranger because my buddy told me it works great..long story short it made the truck run rough and I ended up getting a used one from the junkyard. Live and learn!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely didn't over-oil that I can tell. The MAF issues - that seems to be a bit of an urban legend (that oil comes off the filter and coats it) based on my research. Will see how she runs today after it dried overnight. The "Power Kleen" smelled/looked like standard purple degreaser (Purple Power etc.).

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I have the oil applicator (drip) version because you have more oil for the same price...

This thing is PITA.... should have taken the spray version!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't imagine not paying a few extra bucks for the spray oil.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I use a K&N and did on my Contour SVT. Then on the Focus SE.
There is a discussion with K&N where they 'prove' the oil worry is unfounded. Showing even at full throttle max RPM on some big engine, the airflow at the surface of the filter is only 12 mph. Pretty hard to 'suck the oil off' at an airspeed of 12mph.
I am certain if someone put so much oil on the filter it was dripping off then you could get some oiling down the intake. LOL

And yes cleaning and reoiling a K&N is a breeze.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In the diesel community, K&N is a big no-no. Plenty of reports of people dusting turbochargers from poor filter efficiency. THIS is also why you must clean your MAF sensor. You are not cleaning oil off of it (unless you over-oil, then it might be a possibility) you are actually cleaning fine dust and other particles that escape past the filter media.

For a good read, here is a great comparison on different filters with plenty of charts. This is pulled from dieselplace forums. Enjoy!
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-...rmarket-air-intakes-filters-do-they-work.html

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This wasn't intended to be a pro/con K&N thread...just that I was happy I was able to do the recharge easily/quickly. Believe what you want. If K&N air filters were destroying cars, nobody would buy them. The data is sparse on this IMHO i.e. population of X starting out with K&N and population Y doing normal filters from day 1 of onwership (all the same make, model, options, etc.). Track these populations for Z number of years (while doing the exact same maint. oil change etc. and having the same type of use) and see if there is any difference in the longevity of the engines...I bet there is no statistically meaningful difference beteween those that use K&Ns and those that use OEM-type filters.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
In the diesel community, K&N is a big no-no. Plenty of reports of people dusting turbochargers from poor filter efficiency. THIS is also why you must clean your MAF sensor. You are not cleaning oil off of it (unless you over-oil, then it might be a possibility) you are actually cleaning fine dust and other particles that escape past the filter media.

For a good read, here is a great comparison on different filters with plenty of charts. This is pulled from dieselplace forums. Enjoy!
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/3-...rmarket-air-intakes-filters-do-they-work.html
And the flame war begin!

[popcorn]

·
Registered
130 Posts
No, I'm not going to argue about it. I don't care about your car that much. I just presented a some tested data and a friendly warning. Much of this was brought to my attention by my turbo builder when I received my 64mm turbo. Marketing is a catchy thing. A bottle of oil that will fix your poor compression? A formula that stops radiator leaks? How about spark plugs that add 10hp?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Understood; I have done quite a bit of reading on this and am comfortable that my engine will not be damaged by using a K&N drop-in.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
K&N or cotton filter call it what your want, maybe not the best particle filter vs paper but has been known to provide enough filtering to not cause damage to the engine... a lot of cars for years has been running k&n type filters...

Oiled filters are the best for CAI ... AFAIK you cannot run a CAI with a paper medium because of the water splash or drops...

·
Registered
130 Posts
My next question is (because I really am curious) why the aftermarket filter? Most of my performance experience is related to forced induction or motorcycle, but in both cases modern intake systems are almost unanimously designed to meet or exceed the CFM requirements of the engine all while drawing air from a remote location outside of the engine bay.

In all honesty, the Focus engines (like every other economy drivetrain) was built for cheap mass production. With this said, there are no parts on this engine that would be sensitive enough (such as extremely tight tolerances, high performance engines pushed to their limits thus needing every bit of power, or compressor wheels on turbos) for 180 micron particles (K&N's website ISO test @ 2.0%) to damage to the point where the average person would notice.

This is all just food for thought. You didn't start this thread as a filter debate and I should respect that. Enjoy your car and happy modding!

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
My next question is (because I really am curious) why the aftermarket filter? Most of my performance experience is related to forced induction or motorcycle, but in both cases modern intake systems are almost unanimously designed to meet or exceed the CFM requirements of the engine all while drawing air from a remote location outside of the engine bay.
For me...

1. Sound
2. Cleaner engine bay
3. Easy maintenance
[...]
1000. Performance Gain (mostly nothing so I don't count on a CAI to gain something)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Lifetime filter. That's the big one as I buy the filter for $35 and the cleaning/oiling kit for $15 and that its for the lift of the car. Sound is better especially with the snorkel delete and there appears to be dyne data to support this mod (K&N + removal of snorkel) as creating a bit more HP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts