Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i couldn't pass up the amazing deal of 350 Tom's got going on...got it yesterday and 15 minutes after i got home it was in...and WOW....what a difference....if you don't have one yet, go around the house and start ebaying stuff to get the money. You won't regret it! Immediately you notice the increased driveability of the car. Even with the a/c on the car feels like it pulls stronger and smoother over all. It makes it much easier to drive and shift. Instead of the strong switch over in power at 5k...it pulls very smoothly all the way from idle. But i think my favorite part is the exhaust sounds...in idle when you rev in nuetral you get a bunch of lil backfires and pops...sounds soo cool (makes me think rally exhaust [:D] ) So far i'm 150% satisfied with the tune extremely happy i got it.

THANKS TOM FOR PUTTING OUT SUCH A GREAT PRODUCT!!!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
The popping that you are talking about, with Tom's tune are you getting more backfire than before with YRF 0. Because to be honest with you I can't stand the backfiring of this car at times. I'm thinking about getting Tom's tune but I am looking for anything that maybe bad that I can expect from the tune. So does the popping happen under idle when you first start kind of like before with the stock tune, and/or when your driving and shifting gears does it pop??

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't really hear it when i 'm driving...only time i notice driving is when i'm cruising down the ramps in my parking garage slowing and just coasting under engine braking....other than that i only hear it when i rev it up in nuetral. And yes i'm getting more backfire than before. The backfiring isn't loud or anything....y can't you stand it?

·
Registered
524 Posts
mboren said:
The popping that you are talking about, with Tom's tune are you getting more backfire than before with YRF 0. Because to be honest with you I can't stand the backfiring of this car at times. I'm thinking about getting Tom's tune but I am looking for anything that maybe bad that I can expect from the tune. So does the popping happen under idle when you first start kind of like before with the stock tune, and/or when your driving and shifting gears does it pop??
It's no big deal - it won't bother you.

Remember, he gives a 30-day money-back. I guarantee you won't be sending it back, though.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
Does the TC shut off completly with Tom's tune?

·
Registered
524 Posts
witchcitySVT said:
Does the TC shut off completly with Tom's tune?
For your car ('03), yes. For '04s, maybe/probably, depending on when built. Late ones cannot, but that's the minority of '04s.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
^^^^^^
Thanks.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Does the Predator allow you to interface directly into a computer? I have a mini-pc setup in my car and it would be awesome to be able to switch between the tunes and log data right then and there in the car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I really just can't stand when my car backfires or pops like that. I know that's just how it is with a 4 banger but I just like it when it's smooth and it's not popping. A lot of people are like why in the hell is your car backfiring. I just say it's the way the exhaust is set up. But oh well If it's nothing that is bad then I'm still down for getting the tune. What does he change up in the tune anyways, does the car run leaner or richer? Oh yea and most importantly does it get rid of the bog? Because I can't stand that bogged out sound and slow reaction take off on my car and I don't even have TC.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know exactly what he does with the tune...probably timing/fuel mixture....but whatever he does...it's awesome...well worth the money and the small backfires....you'll love how it drives.....Also..i need ot check if my t/c turns off now!

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
If you have a stock exhaust, i would think the backfiring is being caused by an exhaust leak somewhere (probably the header gasket).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Backfiring is normal and is on all SVT's just sounds deeper with a good tune. The backfiring is because we have a really free flowing exhaust and header system....NORMAL (plus it sounds sweet like all the other sports cars with free flowing exhausts)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
KahunaB14 said:
Backfiring is normal and is on all SVT's just sounds deeper with a good tune. The backfiring is because we have a really free flowing exhaust and header system....NORMAL (plus it sounds sweet like all the other sports cars with free flowing exhausts)
Backfiring is not normal on any properly tuned car, it's the result of a/f being far too low and wasting a lot of perfectly good combustible gas out of the tail pipe. If your car is backfiring after getting it tuned, I would suggest datalogging and checking out the possible problems with it mechanically. Then worst case scenario send in the results and get a new tune. My SVTF stopped immediately after the tune and never came back, so has every other SVTF with a tune I've come across.

This isn't a shot at Tom by any means, his tune, hypill, focussport, etc I've never seen any of them backfire during high revs.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
2004SVTAutoXer said:
Backfiring is not normal on any properly tuned car, it's the result of a/f being far too low and wasting a lot of perfectly good combustible gas out of the tail pipe. If your car is backfiring after getting it tuned, I would suggest datalogging and checking out the possible problems with it mechanically. Then worst case scenario send in the results and get a new tune. My SVTF stopped immediately after the tune and never came back, so has every other SVTF with a tune I've come across.

This isn't a shot at Tom by any means, his tune, hypill, focussport, etc I've never seen any of them backfire during high revs.
I'm not sure if it's a backfire.. it's not during high revs either.. I get it too with the tune from wayne.. and it does sound sweet!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Any of these cars that is tuned for power, will "pop" back through the exhaust when you let off the throttle. It is completely normal. One example is check out just about any race car, especially at night, when they let off, and you see that flames coming out of the exhaust, thats the same thing happening. A stock SVT with an aftermarket exhaust will do it without a tune if you let off at a higher rpm. They pop, for the most part, because of the excess fuel thats left in the engine and exhaust.

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
mboren said:
I Oh yea and most importantly does it get rid of the bog? Because I can't stand that bogged out sound and slow reaction take off on my car and I don't even have TC.
Yes this is the part i worked on the most and where you will see the biggest Diff

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
2004SVTAutoXer said:
Well my tunes do and all the good tuned should most people like it, it isnt cause from to rich condition and there is no reason to get it checked or the tune changed

If your tune isnt doing it that would worry me more because i understand how and why its doing it you may want to get yours checked

Tom

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well here is the good news my car was and is still faster that chris (focusedintentions) he has a new intake an toms tune and he still cant beat me and im stock except an k&n drop in. His traction control still kicks in i walked him on a dig but once we got movin i didnt pull to much. And on a 2nd gear roll i yanked decently on him. <--- we both agree i have a factory freak.

·
Registered
450 Posts
hey chris, im thinking seriously about getting toms tune but i was reading various posts in the focus-power thread about some difficulties uploading the tune to the pcm. was it pretty much plug n' play or dud it take awhile to figure it out? also are you running the street tune or a custom tune?

thanks

1 - 20 of 47 Posts