Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have heard the stories from a friend who knew a guy that said never use Bosch Platinums. This is the reason why...

This happened to me. My son drives his mothers 1999 Cavalier. He starts complaining of a miss and a loss of power. I decide to change the plugs when I pull the first and see its a Bosch (never liked them before). When I had the 4 new plugs and was changing them, I find the number 4 cylinder plug to be COMPLETELY MISSING ITS CERAMIC/PLATINUM CORE. Yes, it broke off and fell into the cylinder. When I tell you this, I dont mean that something caused it to break. The side electrode was undamaged, only the center electrode broke off (and it broke loose deep inside the plug). It scored the cylinder wall fairly well before being crushed to powder.

Doesnt matter what vehicle it was in. Doesnt matter how the vehicle was driven or how many miles or whatever. That is a poor design that cost my Ex and other people lotsa money. There is no excuse for the electrode falling out of a spark plug like that. Dont use Bosch. I wont. I have seen what it can do first hand.

·
Registered
461 Posts
wow, sorry to hear about the damage. we already know not to use bosch platinums on foci ... but thanks for the warning again anyway : )

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Yea man that sucks but i have benn saying for years for people to never use them.

I have not had them fall apart on me like that, but i did a comparison with those brand new bosch Platinum 4's against my stock motorcraft with 50,000 miles on them. The motorcraft had MORE spark then the POS bosch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i didnt read about bosch before i put them into my kid sisters mustang, Boy am i sorry... There wasn't any internal damage but... 2 melted wires (YES the wires were on corectly and away from the exhaust) 2 broken plugs and one of the tips that the wires conects to was stuck in the wire... crapy plugs all the way around.

the stang now is running on NGK and they are fed by some MSD 8.5 wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts