Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ti did very well. Got about 3 inches here today and had no problems at all. Only lost traction once merging on to 95 but TC kept me straight and stopped my loose condition no problem.

Been 15 years since I didnt have a 4x4 and was impressed. Of course I dont think I will be able to trudge through 10 inch downfalls like my Xterra but I am just gonna stay home when that happens now. [cheers]

·
Registered
180 Posts
My '12 SE Sport has tires that are not real good in snow of 2" or more (got stuck twice last Winter but we did have a record amount of snow that season for SE MI). I will likely need new tires by next Summer/Fall (have 37,000 on the car now) so i will be shopping for better snow/ice traction (still want an all season tire though) on the next go around.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My '12 SE Sport has tires that are not real good in snow of 2" or more (got stuck twice last Winter but we did have a record amount of snow that season for SE MI). I will likely need new tires by next Summer/Fall (have 37,000 on the car now) so i will be shopping for better snow/ice traction (still want an all season tire though) on the next go around.
I highly recommend the Continental ContiExtremeContact DWS. I've had no trouble so far in either light or moderate accumulation, especially when comparing last year's performance on the stock Conti's.

They are a little pricey but a fantastic four-season tire. Would not recommend in the very deep stuff, though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I highly recommend the Continental ContiExtremeContact DWS. I've had no trouble so far in either light or moderate accumulation, especially when comparing last year's performance on the stock Conti's.

They are a little pricey but a fantastic four-season tire. Would not recommend in the very deep stuff, though.
I have these on my son's '99 Cougar and they are great tires. When I bought them I analyzed all the options available from TireRack and these won hands down in almost every performance category. Your recommendation is valid!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the stock Coopers on mine. They seemed pretty grippy but they only have 3700 miles on them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You can disable it using the menus controlled by the left steering wheel buttons, in fact it does better in snow with it disabled IMO, the stablility control stays on even though the tc is off.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You can disable it using the menus controlled by the left steering wheel buttons, in fact it does better in snow with it disabled IMO, the stablility control stays on even though the tc is off.
If you go in S mode, TC is supposed to be disabled.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
If you go in S mode, TC is supposed to be disabled.
No, the only way to turn the TCS off is via the IPC menu on the MK3 non ST. S just locks the car out of 6th gear in automatic mode

·
Registered
627 Posts

I know everyone recommends the DWS, but after how poor the OEM Continental on the SE where and reports that the DWS tires have soft side walls I could not bring myself to get them. That and running snow tires I didn't need to compromise dry and wet handling for winter grip.

When I bought them I analyzed all the options available from TireRack and these won hands down in almost every performance category. Your recommendation is valid!
If you think that the DWS have good ratings on Tire Rack check out the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires. They by far have the best ratings I have ever seen on a tire.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know everyone recommends the DWS, but after how poor the OEM Continental on the SE where and reports that the DWS tires have soft side walls I could not bring myself to get them. That and running snow tires I didn't need to compromise dry and wet handling for winter grip.

If you think that the DWS have good ratings on Tire Rack check out the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires. They by far have the best ratings I have ever seen on a tire.
Hey I just wanted to jump in here about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires. I had those on the 2007 Impala w/ police package I just got rid of. They were by far the best handling all season tires I've ever had as far as winter use goes.
Decent dry traction and very quiet on the highway as well.

But that being said, they were also supposed to be a 70k mile tire, and by 14k miles they only had 5/32 of tread left on all 4 tires.

·
Registered
289 Posts

I looked long and hard at the P7's and I almost got them. What finalized the decision for me was that they would have been a bit more expensive and I liked the look of the tread on the DWS.

Though, that is no way to buy a tire.

As far as the soft sidewalls, I haven't noticed anything too bad when taking hard corners...I never use summer tires though and grew up in a household where my dad would buy half-used, unmatched tires a la carte from a local dealer every time he needed the tires changed. So, for me, these are the highest performing tires i have ever owned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts