Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 2004 2.3L ZX3
- K&N Typhoon CAI
- F2 Header
- High-flow Cat
- Tune
- 280tw street tires

Right lane. 15.160 @ 90.60 mph with a 2.228 60-foot.

Video of one of my passes:

More wheelspin than I'd like. Probably due to street tires and a lot of negative camber (for autocross.) Also, the MTX75 in my car is not liking quick shifts. Definitely time for some better motor mounts.

w/ my magic bag
Hey thats awesome. Use a little less rpm on the start & leave the throttle to the wood, when shifting. Do a bsd plug.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thats awesome. Use a little less rpm on the start & leave the throttle to the wood, when shifting.
As in "flat-foot" shifting? I don't think there's any chance I could pull that off right now. Maybe with some fresh motor mounts and a well adjusted shifter. The 2-3 shift is the worst. I get the typical 3rd gear grind if I try to shift too fast.

Do a bsd plug.
The car is primarily used for SCCA autocross competition. So per the class rules, I can't do the bsd. Just curious, is there something specific to drag racing that the bsd helps?

Seems like the car should probably be running high 14's. Hopefully I can make some improvements and get there soon.

w/ my magic bag
FYI, A bsd= balance shaft delete. Pull the balance shafts out & install a plug in the oil feed hole for the bs. Don't see why you couldn't do that in autox, I'm sure the spec v's do it. Removes about 19lbs of static weight + rotational weight & adds a qtr of oil too. Do you have a sts? I'd add poly mounts too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
FYI, A bsd= balance shaft delete. Pull the balance shafts out & install a plug in the oil feed hole for the bs. Don't see why you couldn't do that in autox, I'm sure the spec v's do it. Removes about 19lbs of static weight + rotational weight & adds a qtr of oil too. Do you have a sts? I'd add poly mounts too.
Yep. I know what a BSD is. I just can't legally do it. In SCCA autocross rules, if it doesn't say you can do something, you can't. I compete in a Street Touring class at the national level where thousandth's of a second matter. It wouldn't be worth getting protested over. I was just curious if there was something more specific to drag-racing (other than the commonly known advantages of a bsd,) that would make a big difference. If I were to switch to a more highly modified class, I could do the bsd.

No short throw shifter. (I could legally install one though.) Poly mounts are on the to-do list.

Registered
Autox rules are pretty strict and if you take it seriously you don't bend the rules.

I ran my Type R in D stock and did alright and ran my Eclipse in the modded category but wasn't real competitive with other cars that were really set up for autox while my Eclipse was a drag racer.

w/ my magic bag
How 'bout changing the gear ratio & adding a torsen? If you did move up to the next class, would you be at the bottom? Or not? & does that open the door for more suspension mods?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
How 'bout changing the gear ratio & adding a torsen? If you did move up to the next class, would you be at the bottom? Or not? & does that open the door for more suspension mods?
That would be F Street-Prepared. If you know who Lorin Mueller (Omnifocus) is, that's where his car runs. Street Prepared also allows you to run Hoosiers, which is fine if you don't mind the price tag. My favorite thing about Street Prepared is the ability to update/backdate, meaning you can interchange parts from almost any year or model of your car, as long as it's on the same line in the rule book.

w/ my magic bag
That would be F Street-Prepared. If you know who Lorin Mueller (Omnifocus) is, that's where his car runs. Street Prepared also allows you to run Hoosiers, which is fine if you don't mind the price tag. My favorite thing about Street Prepared is the ability to update/backdate, meaning you can interchange parts from almost any year or model of your car, as long as it's on the same line in the rule book.
Sounds great. Just to ask, You can update the motor to a a '13+ ST?

Registered
Not all cars get to do that in Street Prepared. Lotus Europas cannot.

Registered
Dont flat shift. Love ur clutch. Granted 2-step+stutter box would be legal bc u dont use it out on the cones. Just get some drag tires to play with to go faster. R

Registered
I have to agree with Super7, that is a great time for an N/A Focus. Took me a while to get that quick in my ZX2 which is about 400 lbs lighter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Found a little time at the MAPerformance Proving Grounds last weekend at Brainerd Raceway:

15.073 at 91.19 w/a 2.246 60ft.

That was on some worn 195-width street tires, -3 degrees front camber, 3.42 final drive (open diff.) Not ideal for drag racing. I imagine drag radials could get me in the mid 14's.

Someone posted a video of me running against my buddy's BRZ:

I think he forgot the traction control on during this pass. He was running 14.6's later.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Having recently moved down to Georgia, and having an itch to go racing... I headed over to Atlanta Dragway for their Fast Friday street-legal night.

I'm not exactly sure what might have caused the differences in numbers, but my car weighed about 60 pounds more than my previous best pass. (heavier wheels and full-size battery.) Also, I was running taller tires.

Here's what happened: My 60' slowed by a tenth, my E.T. slowed by a tenth, but my trap speed was faster by almost a full mph.

Maybe it's just a difference in tracks? I'm happy about a 92mph trap, but that means I should be in the high 14's... not a 15.1

Gotta work on those launches.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts