Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,
Oh Wise Focus Fans: I am an aspiring Focus owner hoping for advice. My teen needs a first car to get to work, and for vacations from college.

Choice 1: 2006 ZX5 SE - which may or may not have ABS and Side Air Bags. I've tried to get the original window sticker but it doesnt come up and the VIN analysis is not clear. 150,000 miles! and $5000 all in (dealer)
snaptube.cam/ syncnet.onl/telegram-web/ 9apps
Choice 2: 2007 ZX3 S - Got original sticker from website and it seems to have ABS and Side airbags. 80,000 miles. $6900 all in (private) Interior a bit more trashed out. Alternator just replaced.

1. How long will a Focus last? The 150000 miles seems a bit high.
2. Two kids in college so dont want to spend money I dont have to but if more money upfront is worth it then ....

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Both of those cars are overpriced I would not buy either they are a rip-off.
To give you a example my brother bought a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SES with 120,000 miles on it that was back in 2012 the price $3,500.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
963 Posts
The 2007 would be my choice. They are very reliable. Hopefully it has a new and not rebuilt alternator. I wouldn't pay more then 4k for it though. Dealership probably has less than 2k in it. You can go to a salvage yard and get cleaner interior parts or just get some seat covers. You can get a carfax and make sure the mileage is correct.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Another example of price My 2010 with 123,000 miles you could find on a dealer lot around me for $5,000.
Also my brother's example I gave you had brand new tires on it, and is at 270,000 miles today.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have recently purchased a 2011 Focus SES for my 14 year old daughter as her first vehicle. This gives me a few years to mod and trouble shoot before the hand off. I paid right at $5,000 for a fully loaded SES with heated leather seat, 90,000 miles, and in absolutely pristine condition. Very reliable first car... just stay away from the 2012+ automatics at all cost.

·
Registered
892 Posts
"Choice 2: 2007 ZX3 S - Got original sticker from website and it seems to have ABS and Side airbags. 80,000 miles. $6900 all in (private) Interior a bit more trashed out. Alternator just replaced.

1. How long will a Focus last? The 150000 miles seems a bit high"

That price is nuts for private party. It would have to look showroom to get anywhere near that.

150K isn't too high on these. Other than the MK3 with DCT, these are reliable cars. You can see a number of members here with high miles. Mine still runs like new with nearly 130K.

·
Registered
227 Posts
These prices seem high. I'm biased but I think 08-11 SES or SEL is the way to go. Has semi-contemporary safety features (ABS, stability control, side airbags, etc. etc.) and with Sync it at least offers bluetooth phone integration and hands-free. Duratec is the reliable engine. Between $3k-$4.5 k all day in great condition. Lots of senior-owned examples out there, and these sold well during the last recession, so there are lots of them out there on the market. Be patient and wait for a well-maintained one with reasonable mileage and all the SES/SEL goodies. They're out there.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
963 Posts
08-11 have a few flaws besides being butt ugly. One was a/c evaporator core failures, a $1300 repair.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My 2010 SE is still going strong. I believe someone on here actually has one with well over 300,000 miles on it. I don't have a SES but I wish I did, because those look good in my opinion with the factory tinted taillights and headlights.
To each their own.

·
Registered
91 Posts
2007 ZX5 with 212k miles here - well maintained. It went ~190k miles with virtually no problems - other than the back power windows and cruise control not working. Needed repairs started popping up around the 190-200k mark (eg. oil pan leak, cv axle leaks, wheel bearing, front endlink, etc....).

I live in Illinois and my son goes to college in Utah. The more involved repairs don't bother me but it wasn't something I wanted to send him out to school with. That said, other than the clacking IMRC issue, my engine still runs like a sewing machine and I don't sense any issues with the transmission.

·
So mote be it
8,889 Posts
What county are you shopping in? The site says you are based in Germany, they would have a completely different model than what we had here in the US. We only got a revised version of the mk1 focus where you guys got a brand new mk2.

Using the S and SE naming, sounds like US models. Be sure the 07 has abs, it was on option on the base models like the S. My '07 didnt have it and i never had any issues (look up threshold braking!) As far as an 06 vs 07 goes, pick the one with less miles and a lower price tag. It's the same model run and there wouldnt be any substantial changes. They are pretty easy to work on, assuming you dont run into much rust/seized bolts :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
What county are you shopping in? The site says you are based in Germany, they would have a completely different model than what we had here in the US. We only got a revised version of the mk1 focus where you guys got a brand new mk2.

Using the S and SE naming, sounds like US models. Be sure the 07 has abs, it was on option on the base models like the S. My '07 didnt have it and i never had any issues (look up threshold braking!) As far as an 06 vs 07 goes, pick the one with less miles and a lower price tag. It's the same model run and there wouldnt be any substantial changes. They are pretty easy to work on, assuming you dont run into much rust/seized bolts :)
He quoted "miles" and "$" and used the word "vacation" instead of "holiday" so I considered that evidence that he must be on this side of the Atlantic.

·
Registered
821 Posts
A 2007 ZX3 for $6,900? Is that a typo? If it’s a nice car then offer the guy half of that.... $3450

I had an ‘03 ZX3 & a ‘05 ZX5. Both good cars & no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts