Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife borrowed my car and backed into someone the other night. I need a new bumper. I took it to the collision place we've used in the past and the estimate is around $1200. Should I try to look for parts online? Are they overcharging me?

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Go onto your local Craigslist & click ‘parts/auto parts’ for sale. Search ‘Ford focus’ & there might be a few salvage 2012-2014 Focus cars being parted out. Other than that, idk if that’s a good price or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes they are in my opinion. When my rear bumper was damaged not my fault. I had two quotes one to repair bumper $500, other replace bumper $800.
I had a tree fall on my car that required repair of the roof, hood, trunk and front window it was $2,500. Now I didn't pay any of this out of pocket insurance took care of it.
I'm assuming you don't have full coverage or have a high deductible?
Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's on the high side of normal I would say...

If I were you, I'd look online to get the parts used and install them yourself. It may cost you 300$ if bought locally maybe... 500$ if out of town.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've always believed that the value of bodywork is in the quality of the results. If you've used this shop before, and you like the results that you got, it may be well worth it.

What I'm seeing there is that there's more than just the bumper cover, that bracket is problematic as well.

Maybe you don't need the "Titanium" nameplate, and maybe you can find a bumper cover and trunk lid that are already the same colour used, which will save the paint labour, assuming of course that you're comfortable doing it yourself. Not everyone is.

I dunno, $450 for the parts actually seems reasonable. You might be able to get the parts cheaper online, but you might end up with a colour mismatch. On a 7 year old car, even another one that left the factory with the same paint could show a mismatch (Maybe you don't care.)

To me, that looks like a pretty solid weekend worth of work with used parts which may not match perfectly, may not include all of the clips and fasteners.

The body shop has it at 4.2 hours for body labour. That's with experienced technicians, all the tools, and a hoist. I don't know what's in your garage. I have a lot of the tools in my garage, because I work on my car as a hobby, but in general you will probably take 3 to 4 times the number of hours if you have some experience with the job. You get zero tolerance for scratching parts installing them, too, since you (probably) aren't painting the repair parts yourself.

That makes it a solid weekend of work.

Can you do it cheaper? Sure. I don't know that it's wiser.

Maybe another shop could knock a couple hundred bucks off. Sometimes, too, if you tell the shop that you're paying for it yourself, and not the insurance company, they might drop the price a little.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The rear bumper is easy to remove if you can find either a used replacement in the right color. Another option is to buy a new one online and take it to a paint shop for painting. I did this when my wife's van got hit from the back and was able to pocket over a grand because it was the other guy's fault. I had the paint done at a Maaco near my work and they did a great job. The paint looked factory when I got it back and still looks great - it happened several years ago. The damage was localized to her rear door so it was just the one part and not any of the surrounding body panels. This was quite a bit more work than a bumper because there were quite a few parts to transfer.

·
Registered
871 Posts
That's pretty much what I'd expect. I've received quotes on two other cars for an easy rear bumper replacement/paint, and they were $600-$800. I ended up doing most of the work myself at a much cheaper rate.

You apparently also have a ding in your trunk, so the labor and paint are driving up the cost. Their rates seem reasonable, so I doubt another shop will be much lower.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Maybe change the bumper but keep the trunk as-is? It doesn't look to bad if it still open, close and seal properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts