Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me or post a pic of where I can see mine in case it breaks or something. I haven't owned the car for long enough to know whether or not it is already broken, so I'm thinkin I should take a quick look. My car is a 2002, so it has that crappy plastic one.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Under throttle body, easier to see if you are under the car verses above it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is broken will I notice it from above the car when it is running?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
DrunkenMountie said:
If it is broken will I notice it from above the car when it is running?
If it's broken you will notice a change in the performance of the car, unless it's been broken since the day you bought the car. As in my case, you may also notice a strange, loud, and unpleasant sound - which is the end of the cable flailing around and smacking into something. A sign that it is under stress and about to break is a much quieter sound that you can hear if you lightly step on the gas while the car is running; with the windows up, radio off, etc., it makes a funny little "brrzzzztt" sound. Sorry that's the best way I can think of to describe the noise. [rolleyes]

BTW I'm not sure which end of my cable broke, the end shown in the pictures at the link posted above or the other end - I never did see it for myself before they fixed it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch for the help guys, I'm kinda hoping it is broken so I can get one of the new metal ones and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, DSI stands for dual stage intake, which Ford calls the complete assembly.

IMRC stands for intake runner manifold control, which is used to control the butterfly valves in the SVT Contour and 96-98 Cobra. I don't know why it would be called that, the IMRC is a small box on the front middles part of the engine (on the Contour, I know cause I have to replace my brother's for him), and has nothing to do with the Focus.

I'm a bit surprised at this, unless a similar part is used for our DSI and the Contour's cable in the IMRC, as the systems are really not too alike.

BTW does anyone know what the IMRC for a 98 SVTC costs or how I can find out? My brother loves his car but he is lazy as hell, and since my car is going in for service soon I figured I would have them order one for me and I could replace it for him, as long as it's not too expensive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yep. That's my sig link :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
My cable just broke lask week, I dropped it off at the dealer at 8am and they had it fixed by noon. And like SVT4ME, they had to replace the lower intake manifold on mine as well. However, I heard people talking about the replacement one being metal and Im not sure what piece they are talking about .... cause my new one looks like it is still plastic ...... but the bracket is much bigger and looks a lot more durable then the one that broke. When it broke it was making a terrible noise, I was like WTF is wrong with my car so I popped the hood and saw the cable flopping around :( But luckily I figured out that if you grabbed the cable and pulled it tight, it would stop making the noise, which came in handy because in order to get my free loaner (which I needed) I had to wait 2 days to take my car in ...... and I couldnt have listened to that noise for 2 days. [paranoid] [?|]

I attached a pic from my camera phone of my broken cable. [:(]

·
Registered
498 Posts
great info on the DSI cable....[thumb]

·
Registered
814 Posts
mine was broken and i was able to get in on the group buy of the metal replacement clip. Best money i ever spent, cuz i didn't even know my was broken! I have a feeling it was broken from the day i bought my car!

·
Registered
167 Posts
ok...so I got mine replace what.....5 months ago through Ford and I'm starting to think mine's about to break AGAIN!!! I've heard of an upgraded DCI cable.....anyone have a link for that?? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I thought the new part was at least partially metal (the updated intake manifold has a clip that is partially metal as well?).

·
Banned
171 Posts
Daeron said:
I thought the new part was at least partially metal (the updated intake manifold has a clip that is partially metal as well?).
Nope, It is identical to the original. For some odd reason the end of the stud has white paint on it.

You get a new lever and two retainers with the kit. I took this picture myself two minutes ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.