Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after extreme delays, and other planning- I'm starting to work on my Focus. I finally broke down and decided to order an MBRP exhaust system instead of building my own with TruBendz piping, and I also ordered some wheels from Centerline (made in the USA) that I'm really curious about weighing. I read on one site that the wheels weighed 11.8 lbs, but the girl on the phone said 14.8 for a 17x7. We'll see what happens when I get the boxes. Finances permitting, I'll get some SVT brakes for when the stock brakes finally wear out- which won't be long now since I have 20k miles.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
you have to do a full svt brake swap or the rear svt brakes will over power the front brakes. so if you are doing it for looks and just planning on putting the rear disk's in... don't do it until you can affaord to buy every thing. and while you are at it you should swap the svt knuckles over

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Algorhythm said:
How long do brakes last usually?
That depends on how much you use them. Technically brakes should last about 25k miles, but depending on use, the consistency of the pads, the metal in the rotors, etc. Sometimes brakes don't last as long as they should, and sometimes they last longer.

I thought the knuckles were part of the brake swap? I'll have to go look at the parts list on BAT's website unless anyone else knows of a supplier who has this kit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
if i remember correct when i looked at bats site there kit was not much less than from ford. i could be mistaken but thats what i thought i saw. if it was me i would get hooked up with focus salvage, and then just paint the exposed metal parts as you are installing it. it would probably be about half the price and look just as good/better.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
25k? Crap, I'm at 22k. I should order those EBC pads soon. Can I replace the front pads with better quality pads and just replace the rear shoes with OEM shoes and not have a problem?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
good luck

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Algorhythm said:
25k? Crap, I'm at 22k. I should order those EBC pads soon. Can I replace the front pads with better quality pads and just replace the rear shoes with OEM shoes and not have a problem?
Shoes last longer than pads do, and I doubt you'll see any problems with the stock shoes until you're over 50k miles. Your front brakes do most of the stopping, so regardless of rear brake configuration- the rears should last close to twice as long as the fronts. If you're experiencing any noise from the rear drums, then you might want to investigate to see if the factory supplied grease on the contact points where the shoe rubs against the drum backing plate. The drums aren't easy to get into, but on Focus-hacks there's a trick to getting the drums apart:Here's the link.

BAT's front brake replacement kit is $759 with Mintex pads, but only covers the front brakes. The rear kits which installs a 12" rotor in the rear also is about $750. The Ford Racing kit, which BAT sells also, contains the parts for both front and rear installation of SVT brakes complete with pads for $895 + shipping. Junkyards are great, recently Focus Salvage had a post in the parts forum for SVT brakes priced at $750 shipped. I considered that, but for now this mod is just a thought for the future. I've ordered the wheels for it, but no tires yet.

Thanks for the encouragement [thumb]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts