Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got a free day today so I jacked up the car and went on a mission to find the rattle that has been eluding me for the longest time.

Thought it was the heat shield over my cat, so I cut that off a month or so ago...still rattling. Thought it was some of the A/C components, had those looked at and everything was fine.

Today I sat under the car with it running for about 5 minutes grabbing different parts and touching everything I could reach with a screwdriver. Finally narrowed it down to the Catalytic Converter. The rattle would stop when I put pressure on the cat...which scared me cuz those things are freaking expensive.

Luckily it was just the bracket that holds the cat. It rusted though and broke on both ends at the bolts. Got it unbolted and the broken ends came off but the bracket itself it welded to the cat....so now im am looking for a way to secure the cat so it doesnt shake too much.

Well thats my story...not that anyone really cares. But I was so happy to get rid of that rattle I had to tell somebody. It made my car sound like pure crap. Now I just need to get a new exhaust so she will sound perfect.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
think i have this same problem.. sounds horrible only when i accelerate.. and its quiet at idle.. was this happening to you?
Yea man that sound like mine. It would rattle really bad at start up and when I accelerated. Once it hit 2500 rpm it would stop but at idle it would be quieter and then on acceleration it sounded like my car was about to explode. And the rattle would stop when I turned my A/C off too.

Get under there and check the bracket. Mine was rusted all the way through and broke off at the bolts and the 2 loose ends were making the rattle. Hope you figure it out.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Mine did that too..............I swapped in an ORP and haven't looked back.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Well, no...........You can get the Mil adapter which supposedly tricks the computer into thinking it has a cat, but it really doesn't work that well. Or you can buy Tom's tune, which does work. Or you can get a bung adapter, which will pull the O2 sensor out of the stream a little more, then hope it works...........
Basically, if you get an ORP, keep the cat around and before inspection time, swap it and you'll be fine. Hope I haven't confused you. It's sooooo worth it .

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Mine broke in the same place. I just took off the whole bracket and drove it like that. until i got a ORP, which is much better. scrap value on the original cat payed for most of the ORP.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used 2 spark plug non foulers on my O2. Threw the code one time and that was last year. No codes since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts