Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five years later, my replacement parts and cylinder head were still sitting on a shelf. I got back to it over the weekend. I'm replacing pistons and rings on all cylinders with the rebuilt head...all valve seats replaced.

Question.

I wasn't thinking through all I planned to do and I failed to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt. I'm doing timing belt and water pump as well. Got the water pump out, then I realized I need the crankshaft pulley out of the way to remove timing belt. All pistons are out.

Any ideas on how to hold the crankshaft from moving to be able to put pressure on crankshaft pulley bolt to remove?

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Crankshaft bolt

Dmperfection,

I would assume the engine is out of the car. If so, you can use an impact to remove the bolt. Have someone hold the crank pulley with a strap wrench and hit the bolt with the impact, the crank should not turn that much. Good luck with the rebuild.

v/r,

2003FordFocusZX3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, block is still in and attached to trans. Hanging in there with an engine support bar. The engine bay has plenty of room to work with and dropping the oil pan gives me all the access I need.

I think I've figured out a plan. Picking up a chain wrench, wrapping pulley with a section of serpentine belt, and hold her tight while we undo the crank bolt. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
16,322 Posts
You can shear the rubber loose on the damper doing that, the outer ring is rubber mounted to the center.

Stick a short piece of 2X4 or what fits into the crank at a journal to lock on block and knock the bolt loose that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts