Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another tire size question.

Will 225/45 tires fit ok on a 17x7 rim? Also if I lowered my car, probably on H&R race springs, would it rub? Lastly, my car is a daily driver, so would that setup be worth it considering I dont really autocross or anything too much, or would the H&R springs ride too rough for everyday driving? Would I be better off with the Eibach Sportlines considering the spring rate is lower, for a more comfortable ride? I basically just want my car lowered a good amount, and I've always been interested in a little bit wider tire.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes , hell my stock size 215's touch once and a while with the same strings you have. 225/40's may work better .Personally i would stay with the stock size tires and get some quality rubber.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I have some money, and decided not to put it towards any forced induction considering my engine has 83,000 miles on it and I'd rather not deal with any of the F/I related problems. So I decided to go in the direction of handling.

Now to start off, I dont autocross much (though I plan on getting more into it more this year) so I need something that's a good compromise in street/race. At first I was thinking H&R race springs, but those are some serious springs and I think it may be a bit overkill for me. I really just want something that is a good compromise between handling, looks and comfort...in that order.
I was thinking the Eibach Sportline kit with Eibach dampers, H&R 24mm rear sway bar and the related camber correction kits. And that will be with 17x7 Kazera KZ-V's with 215/45ZR17 Kumho ECSTA MX's.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
12 Posts
That should be a quite sound suspension.

I used the H&R rear bar, and I loved it. I personally think that it made a big difference on my sedan.

Can wait to see the finished product.

-Cody

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Stay away from the Sportlines for AutoCrossing.
The Eibach "Pro" springs would be a much better choice.
(the sportlines are too soft initially with their progressive rate)

In addition with the added drop of the sportlines, and 45mm offset wheels (Kazera KZ-V) you will have rubbing issues,
unless you drop down to a 205mm wide tire.

===============================
EDIT:
Your two threads have been merged into one, since you're basically asking the same questions.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would a 40mm offset wheel be better? Also with the prokit springs would it matter if I just used my stock struts, since it's not much more of a drop, or should I still get the aftermarket struts? And lastly, I asked about the prokit before (on Focaljet for some stupid reason) and was told that those springs make it feel like your car handles better, but it actually handles worse. Is that not true? Cause if it isnt, that sucks, cause I had the prokit but never installed it, then sold it.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The 40mm offset wheels would increase the chances of rubbing. The Eibach pros are an excellent compromise suspension system. Firm but not overly so and will significantly improve handling over a stock focus suspension. New springs should always be matched with correct shocks. Shorter springs require shorter struts to maintain some assemblance of suspension travel. Banging down on the bump stops ruins handing very quickly and can cause unsafe conditions. Do it right the first time and enjoy the benefits of a well designed suspension rather than piece mealing it.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well so far it's sounding like I'm gonna go with the ProKit and Eibach Struts. What about Voglant springs? Are those any good? There doesnt seem to be alot of info on them, and I saw 2 different sets on the F2 website, Voglant Sport and Voglant Evotion. It was the same drop (1.6") but a difference of $25 in price.
Or maybe the Tein S-Tech's? Any good?

Gonna stick with the Kazera KZ-V's too.
Would it be wise to stick with 215's for tires? Or do you think I could fit 225's on them without any issues? I dont know what it is, but I've always wanted a little wider tire.
And lastly, out of the 3, what would be everyones opinion on tires...Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, some BFG's (what are some good summer tires from BFG?) or maybe some Azenis? I'm not the most expierienced with tires, as I've only had 2 sets (my P-Zero Nero's and some Eagle R1's).

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be happy with whatever I end up getting.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I'm 99.99% certain you won't fit 225's on a dropped car without rubbing.
^^^Let alone, using a lower offset wheel, which makes the situation worse.
Our stockers are 49mm.
See this thread:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112459

As far as the spring questions, you have read through this sticky, haven't you?
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61959
Personally, I like the FRPP Multimatic springs for a daily driver/weekend racer set up.
The price is also pretty decent.
Search for "multimatic" and you should find some good reading.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, screw the 225's then.
And yeah, I've read through the suspension sticky a whole hell of alot of times, but I still like to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to bring back my old thread but I wanted to update on my decision. I'm gonna go with H&R coilovers, since I have the money and they seem like a good idea to me. Also the H&R 24mm rear sway bar, and the related camber correction kits. Also gonna get a Torsen LSD, it seems like the thing to do. A couple other things I'm planning to buy too, but that's another post for another day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts