Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for options to get away from the focus front knuckles. I run a stage rally car, 03 zx3 with a 2.5 and in 14 rallies we have broken 3 struts and numerous top hats.

So I recently had a shock guy build me a pair of inverted Bilstein front struts with 50mm adapter for the bottom and a STI top shaft. I cut out the stock Focus struts and welded in over sized reinforcements that now house Group N sti top hats. This setup worked beautifully for Idaho Rally where we podium 3rd in open 2wd on the day 2 event.

Last weekend we entered Tour De Forest rally and on the second stage hit two massive holes right in a row, on the 3rd stage we front right started making a racket. So after the stage we limped back to service to discover my new 46mm bilstein had busted loose on the adapter plug that goes into the knuckle/upright.

Since we are no longer able to break the STI top hat the rest on force apparently has moved to the knuckle adapter. My thought is to source a standard 2 bolt knuckle, the closer to plug and play the better. The fiesta looks the closest, looking for other ideas or sources. I have pinged a couple of guys parting out Fiesta's locally, but waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok if you are following along, I picked up complete drivers side unit, including the the brakes. Plan is to pull the car off of the trailer and put it on the lift later today and tear into it. Quick glance looks like the lower ball joint is the same as the early focus.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fiesta ball joint is straight cut 17mm all the way through. I ordered a 18mm drill bit and 3/4 inch drill to step out the fiesta knuckle to accept the Mk1.5 ball joints

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are the Splines different on the fiesta knuckle from a standard mtx-75 focus axle? Interested in hearing if this worked

1 - 6 of 6 Posts