Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 335 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Excuse the "French", but the useless bleepin' "Service Adviser" should know better than to use the "Recall" word on anything where it doesn't apply!

·
Registered
59 Posts
It sounds like you're describing my '14 Focus EXACTLY. Behaves fine in the mornings but if I drive it for an extended amount of time the shuddering begins, mostly between first and second gears and horrible in stop and go traffic. Please post here how things go on Friday. I'm very interested to know as my car is due to be serviced soon
I went through this almost a half a year ago(Jan-March), on the cool mornings when the temps were -20 it would shift like a dream, however after driving 45 minutes or so it would "studder" between the first and second shift. They ended up replacing the clutch and seal and that ended that one.

This process can be annoying but just keep at it with the dealer, face it the front line service staff do not want you to not enjoy your vehicle.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Im currently at my the dealership for my free state inspection and the service advisor is like so your here for the recall...WHAT RECALL!! tell me it's the transmission and I'm gonna scream where where you 6 month ago when I was complaining...umm yah his came out 3 weeks ago. So the car is going back Oct 6 since they are understaffed as always and I got a family function later in the day so I can't leave it car....Will update this thread after the update
Hi Sliderturk99,

15B22 is actually a Customer Satisfaction Program, not a recall. A Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) is an available upgrade to a specific component or an extension of an existing warranty. CSPs are VIN specific and time and mileage limitations do apply.

When it gets closer to your appointment, please follow-up with me, including your mileage, and I'll check out some additional assistance.

Meagan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got this TSB applied yesterday, it took about 1 hour. Paperwork states that in addition to the TSB they performed clutch adaptive learning procedure - this suggest that clutch/transmission firmware has been updated as well, so it is not just extra diagnostics firmware update. It makes sense - with so many previous versions available it is a good idea to have a common firmware across all Focus lineup.

Car behaves differently now - it feels that it still has been learning clutch engagement behavior, and it still shudders occasionally, but no grinding noise so far (it was quite common before).

Unless it is a placebo effect, it feels like there is more power available to accelerate, probably because it has slightly different upshift/downshif points in "D" setting. I will wait for another several hundred of miles to update on the transmission smoothness.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree, it makes sense that the firmware update would contain more than just new diag codes, as it is my understanding that firmware updates are not the same as software updates - firmware gets completely overwritten with new code. (and all the anecdotal reports of shudder/transmission performance good or bad give credence to this). I have had the similar experience now for over a month since mine was done - no more intermittent shudder, smoothest gear changing since I bought the car two years ago. So far so good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This FSA showed up in my account, and now I am on the fence of whether I want to have this update applied or not. On one hand, my car shudders badly during low speed, especially when you apply brake then accelerate and the gear changes are horrible during an uphill acceleration, it would go up to 4000rpm and then suddenly go to the next gear and the car would jerk forward and accelerate. On the other hand, I am used to all this and I really don't want it to be worse.

Forgive my ignorance, do my car's symptom require a clutch/seal change or a TCM change (or are they referring to the same thing) if the software updates don't work?

really appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You obviously will make your own decision on this, but I would have it done without hesitation. I have a very good relationship with my dealership and they have always done professional work for me. The firmware update is the first step toward resolution and could be the last step if it resolves it. You deserve a Focus that performs properly so I say go in and get the update done and proceed from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone can recommend me a Ford Service center or rep around the Seattle/Tacoma area that I should go get the FSA done and also have them check out the shuddering problems. My current service center at Renton does a very minimal job and they did not even tell me that I had the recall when I went in for tire rotation last week.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Anyone can recommend me a Ford Service center or rep around the Seattle/Tacoma area that I should go get the FSA done and also have them check out the shuddering problems. My current service center at Renton does a very minimal job and they did not even tell me that I had the recall when I went in for tire rotation last week.
I'm on whidbey and I've had all my work done in Burlington. Billy is awesome guy. They talk to u like a human being. U can tell they empathize a bit with the crap that happens to these dct's. All of em are good guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try private messaging Meagan, the FordService rep who has a post listed on this page, and ask her for advice on where to go or who she recommends to contact?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
So I started to pay more attention to the RPM "flaring" that you guys were talking about during the shuddering: my car definitely has RPM spikes of 2500-3000 (that I've noticed), usually at low speeds.

I guess I might take my car in to have it looked at/fixed.

What's the best method (if any) to get a loaner? I can't get to work without a car.

Is there a method to verify which version of the seals we have in our cars without having to go into the dealership?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Try private messaging Meagan, the FordService rep who has a post listed on this page, and ask her for advice on where to go or who she recommends to contact?
Thanks for the shout out! The best way to choose a dealership is through asking other customers and checking out the dealers themselves. I don't work directly with them, so I wouldn't be able to point to any specific one. Dealers are searchable by ZIP code here.

Meagan

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My local dealer is booked till the end of October. Sheesh!
this is a recurring story as you read all the posts here. At one time, we all discussed here that this might be limited to a small percent of production but the back-orders and delays everywhere make me think its more widespread.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
this is a recurring story as you read all the posts here. At one time, we all discussed here that this might be limited to a small percent of production but the back-orders and delays everywhere make me think its more widespread.
I don't believe there's a back order or delay for 15B22(the op's topic). I called today and have an appointment for Monday.

·
Registered
364 Posts
15B22 is software - nothing to be "back ordered" about it.

Had it done on my last oil change, now 500 miles into it and found nothing bad about the update.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
15B22 is software - nothing to be "back ordered" about it.

Had it done on my last oil change, now 500 miles into it and found nothing bad about the update.
Exactly, it's an update To the tcm software. Which doesn't effect the performance of the transmission. Though some may get the latest trans update at the same time or a battery disconnect may cause the trans learner process to restart.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
15B22 is software - nothing to be "back ordered" about it. ...
Correct, but the dealer still has to have a tech available to install it. The problem is getting an appointment for that when they're doing so many of them.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Who said that? Maybe they have enough cars coming through to have lots of techs busy full time. I don't know.

101 - 120 of 335 Posts