Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
This doesn't make me feel better. The shuddering was worse than usual on my drive home from getting the update. I assumed it needed to learn again. I noticed that while shuddering (this only happens in 6th gear) the RPMs will flair about 250. I was barely going up a grade at 55 MPH. I normally drive on that road at that speed and don't have any issues.
Yeah, when I drove my car home from the dealer the shuddering was really bad. If I drive to the store or someplace close to me it isn't as bad. But after about 15 minutes (or on my commute to work) it just get's ridiculous.

I also have been keeping tabs on the weather conditions, nothing really seems to change - cool mornings or super hot in the afternoon - same shuddering.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yeah, when I drove my car home from the dealer the shuddering was really bad. If I drive to the store or someplace close to me it isn't as bad. But after about 15 minutes (or on my commute to work) it just get's ridiculous.

I also have been keeping tabs on the weather conditions, nothing really seems to change - cool mornings or super hot in the afternoon - same shuddering.
I've noticed that it's worse for me the hotter it is.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I've noticed that it's worse for me the hotter it is.
My problems all but disappeared during the cold new England winter and came back with the summer.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My problems all but disappeared during the cold new England winter and came back with the summer.
Well, good thing fall/winter is coming up. Unfortunately, that also means that it'd be much more difficult to replicate for the dealer for them to take a look at or replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my '14 Focus SE updated last week Aug.28. I also had the same issue with the clock that won't work even if I tried to change the date. I was about to go back to the dealership the following day when I tried again to change the clock. At first the problem was still there but after I tried to changed the date (and the system accepted it) then the clock started to work. So I did not bother to go back to the dealership. But it got stock again on Aug.30. I changed again the date and so far everything is ok.

That's for the clock/date. Now for the transmission issue. I feel like the shuddering is more frequent this time specially in a stop and go traffic. In highway (the shifting until I reach 60+mph), I noticed there's an increase in rpm before each shift. The service adviser told me that it needs to "re learn" again the shifting patterns and it might take another 1000 miles or so.

I also noticed that the fan speed, most of the time, is in high operation.

So far I'm not happy with this update. But I'll give it some time and observe. I hope Ford is taking notes on our experiences here.
I just want to share a follow up feedback after I had this TSB. Last 2 weeks ago I was so happy and car was operating smoothly. No jerking or shuddering. I replied to Meagan and shared the same info to her.

But just a day after that the car started to manifest the same jerking/shuddering condition as if it's starting on the "learning" phase again. Yesterday, it was really bad. Usually on a stop light/go and the car starts this jerking (noise like the clutch/gears not aligning properly), I normally slowly/lightly remove my foot on the pedal as I'm afraid it'll broke down if I force it more. But yesterday I really wanted to yank it hard but was just afraid.

I'm really confused, Ford always say that it needs to "learn". The car was already running smooth and I assumed that it has "learned" already. But why suddenly it goes back to this learning phase?

I'm gonna observe/monitor it more this week. If it's not going to improve then I'm going back to my dealership.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I just want to share a follow up feedback after I had this TSB. Last 2 weeks ago I was so happy and car was operating smoothly. No jerking or shuddering. I replied to Meagan and shared the same info to her.

But just a day after that the car started to manifest the same jerking/shuddering condition as if it's starting on the "learning" phase again. Yesterday, it was really bad. Usually on a stop light/go and the car starts this jerking (noise like the clutch/gears not aligning properly), I normally slowly/lightly remove my foot on the pedal as I'm afraid it'll broke down if I force it more. But yesterday I really wanted to yank it hard but was just afraid.

I'm really confused, Ford always say that it needs to "learn". The car was already running smooth and I assumed that it has "learned" already. But why suddenly it goes back to this learning phase?

I'm gonna observe/monitor it more this week. If it's not going to improve then I'm going back to my dealership.
I beleive it has to go thru the learning process any time it is reflashed and/or battery power disconnected during service. I have been reading VW forums and same thing (learning) for the VW DSG.
Sadly, how many thousand miles depends on the advisor you speak to

·
Registered
3 Posts
But since the last TSB update and I've put almost 1000miles since then, there's no maintenance (reflashing/battery service/or any other service) done on my car. So it shouldn't go to the learning phase again.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
But since the last TSB update and I've put almost 1000miles since then, there's no maintenance (reflashing/battery service/or any other service) done on my car. So it shouldn't go to the learning phase again.
in that case I'd say the advisor is just parroting the standard response without realizing it doesn't apply in your situation.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just had the 15B22 done yesterday, so far the car appears to be fine. Time will tell, but I really didn't have any issues to start with - was just in for oil change and tire rotation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So my 800 mile update since having 15b22 done. It shifts amazing :(. Why the sad face u ask? Well its because I've had so many good shift moments after all my clutch packs and updates that I can no longer be an optimist when it shifts well. I will say that by far this is the best its ever shifted and the longest it's went with no hiccups. I'm wondering if a shifting software update went in along with the 15b22? Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had this FSA done Tuesday, and the very next day, it began shuddering again in first gear. I'm convinced its a bad TCM, or a bad actuator. The dealer service mgr continues to insist that it's the clutch slipping / hopping, but not enough to meet specs for replacement. When it does its shuddering, it will do it with even the lightest throttle input, yet, if I floor it, there is no hop or shudder whatsoever. That is NOT clutch slip, that is bad software or electronics, period! But, they refuse to do anything, as they tell me it's within spec. Shuddering enough to bob your head back and forth is NOT NORMAL, despite what they say. This is ridiculous. I have bought 4 new Ford vehicles over the years, and owned a total of 5. Never again... they lost me as a repeat customer. He actually had the audacity to reassure me that the warranty covered the transmission for an extended time period, to which I responded, what good does having a warranty do me if I can't use it to get my car fixed?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Yup, AFAIK from the info. avail. here this update does NOTHING regarding shudder issues. Strictly added coding for TCM issue warnings & DTC codes.

Symptoms you mention seem to resemble clutch engagement "shudder" (chatter) for manual transmissions. Worst under low load, disappearing under higher load.

Many factors come into play regarding clutch chatter - speed of engagement, friction coefficients, torque load and resonant frequencies of free play/dampening in the system.

In my experience with manual transmissions, once chatter starts it gets progressively worse as long as the same conditions apply. "Smoothing out" or "burning the clutch smooth" (two different levels of action) with slower engagement to encourage smoother slipping and possibly added power to keep the slipping smoother are both ways to defeat the progression and return the clutch to normal operation.

This matches some DCT advice given here to accelerate hard regularly for maint. and take it out for a few hard acceleration runs to "clean it up" if it gets worse.

I'll add the guess that varied use is prob. best as it changes the engagement speed & torque levels, avoiding the "consistent" engagements of the automated system that may contribute to the problem MORE than the inconsistent clutch use normal for "human" clutch operation.

Extended low speed stop & go emphasizes repeated low torque engagement/disengagement without enough "slip" to keep it smooth - I assume with the intent to reduce the heat gain from slip that seems to make it worse.

Speedy shifting without time for rev. matching just means the clutches slip on every shift, unlike typical manual use where slip is only used taking off in first when done well. This adds to the chatter creation possibilities IMHO.

Just how to "solve" the issue completely and keep users happy with consistent/smooth operation is a tougher question, and I'll leave that open for suggestions rather than ramble on.

P.S. - I like your guess at possible actuator involvement, not engaging smoothly at a proper rate could easily be a causative factor.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yup, AFAIK from the info. avail. here this update does NOTHING regarding shudder issues. Strictly added coding for TCM issue warnings & DTC codes.

Symptoms you mention seem to resemble clutch engagement "shudder" (chatter) for manual transmissions. Worst under low load, disappearing under higher load.

Many factors come into play regarding clutch chatter - speed of engagement, friction coefficients, torque load and resonant frequencies of free play/dampening in the system.

In my experience with manual transmissions, once chatter starts it gets progressively worse as long as the same conditions apply. "Smoothing out" or "burning the clutch smooth" (two different levels of action) with slower engagement to encourage smoother slipping and possibly added power to keep the slipping smoother are both ways to defeat the progression and return the clutch to normal operation.

This matches some DCT advice given here to accelerate hard regularly for maint. and take it out for a few hard acceleration runs to "clean it up" if it gets worse.

I'll add the guess that varied use is prob. best as it changes the engagement speed & torque levels, avoiding the "consistent" engagements of the automated system that may contribute to the problem MORE than the inconsistent clutch use normal for "human" clutch operation.

Extended low speed stop & go emphasizes repeated low torque engagement/disengagement without enough "slip" to keep it smooth - I assume with the intent to reduce the heat gain from slip that seems to make it worse.

Speedy shifting without time for rev. matching just means the clutches slip on every shift, unlike typical manual use where slip is only used taking off in first when done well. This adds to the chatter creation possibilities IMHO.

Just how to "solve" the issue completely and keep users happy with consistent/smooth operation is a tougher question, and I'll leave that open for suggestions rather than ramble on.

P.S. - I like your guess at possible actuator involvement, not engaging smoothly at a proper rate could easily be a causative factor.
That makes sense, as I have not had much of an issue after driving like a high schooler for a while. I don't typically have issues with shudder unless I'm in sport-6. Does anyone else experience this? I've only had the jerking issue in 1-2 for a few months a while ago. I can see the RPMs flair up to 250 RPMs on the dial when the car starts vibrating (again, only in sport-6), and putting the car in D will stop the vibrations, but not the RPM flairs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My car has been running like shit after this update. The shuddering is horrible and the car has had more than enough time to "learn."

I'm going to try to call my dealer today and see what they say- which will probably be to the tune of "give it another 500 miles it's still learning" nonsense.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That makes sense, as I have not had much of an issue after driving like a high schooler for a while. I don't typically have issues with shudder unless I'm in sport-6. Does anyone else experience this? I've only had the jerking issue in 1-2 for a few months a while ago. I can see the RPMs flair up to 250 RPMs on the dial when the car starts vibrating (again, only in sport-6), and putting the car in D will stop the vibrations, but not the RPM flairs.
What is Sport-6 ? I only have a D and S mode with select shift. I commonly use Sport mode unless I'm on the highway. It holds first gear rpms a little higher, and uses engine braking more to conserve brake pad wear.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My car has been running like shit after this update. The shuddering is horrible and the car has had more than enough time to "learn."

I'm going to try to call my dealer today and see what they say- which will probably be to the tune of "give it another 500 miles it's still learning" nonsense.
Or like me, they tell me it's within spec, and considered "normal".

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
After 200+ miles the car still runs like crap. Shudders worse than it did before.
Hi joefromchicago,

I want to look into some options. I see you mentioned heading back to your dealer, do you have an appointment set up? Please PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

This doesn't make me feel better. The shuddering was worse than usual on my drive home from getting the update. I assumed it needed to learn again. I noticed that while shuddering (this only happens in 6th gear) the RPMs will flair about 250. I was barely going up a grade at 55 MPH. I normally drive on that road at that speed and don't have any issues.
Hi zehkaiser,

I recommend setting up another appointment, if you haven't already. Please PM me the info requested above, and I'll check it out.

Meagan

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well after the first 1k miles since this was done and man the car shifts like a dream and is quick as all get out. Still have the occasional hard shift or shudder but I've gotten use to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im currently at my the dealership for my free state inspection and the service advisor is like so your here for the recall...WHAT RECALL!! tell me it's the transmission and I'm gonna scream where where you 6 month ago when I was complaining...umm yah his came out 3 weeks ago. So the car is going back Oct 6 since they are understaffed as always and I got a family function later in the day so I can't leave it car....Will update this thread after the update

81 - 100 of 335 Posts