Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Excuse my skepticism, but since this is the first time I've heard of a "code" for shudder - I'll wait to hear of someone actually getting that code before believing that tech..

If one was in the system, there would be no need for Dealers to link up their portable computer to test for shudder levels when determining if new clutches were needed.

Believe it when I see it, you kinda proved it isn't there yourself.
Agreed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah i would wait it out. My 2014 has 11k miles on it and this "update" just made it worse. the dealer gave me the typical "wait 1k miles" nonsense. But it was a rough ride in rush hour traffic, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
just got the 15B22 done. can confirm, car runs like crap.
Again, the dealer almost surely applied the latest software update along with 15b22. The latest software has revised shift strategy and has to "learn" specific about your car, driving habits and clutch touch points. It will take a couple hundred miles to go through this process.

Mine is certainly still learning after 60 miles or so but is improving. Some of the behaviors are pretty odd, such as grabbing a much lower gear when accelerating gently during a 90 degrees turn and rough clutch engagements. But it is getting better at its job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm keeping a log in my phone of how the car runs, what conditions, distance, traffic, etc. I really hope this refresh cures a little bit of the headache. I've had the car for 11k miles and it's been such a disaster. Some days I want to light the match and walk away and others I absolutely love the damn car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It has been another week since I had the 15B22 done and my 2014 Focus is shifting as smooth as butter - a really noticeable improvement since the TCM was flashed. It is the best it has ever shifted since I bought it new about 2 years ago. The occasional shudder is gone since the update last month. Will check in again as some more miles and time passes.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Dealer highly recommended me to let him do the job. I must say, shudder is gone and car is shifting number 1 now. Original cluth on a car build September 19, 2012 (it's a 2013 Ti).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi guys,

I'll be happy to look at some options from my end. Just PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan
Did you ever look into options for me, or contact my dealer, as I had requested a while back?

If so, I have no follow up from anyone....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Whoa, finally! Two positive reports!

I think I'm going to wait out a little bit (more reports back + more experience for my dealer doing the update and not be confused if/when I bring in my FF).

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Yeah i would wait it out. My 2014 has 11k miles on it and this "update" just made it worse. the dealer gave me the typical "wait 1k miles" nonsense. But it was a rough ride in rush hour traffic, that's for sure.
Welcome, joefromchicago.

Updates like this do have a relearn period, but if things don't improve I recommend reaching back out to your dealer, and letting me know as well so I can look into some assistance.

Did you ever look into options for me, or contact my dealer, as I had requested a while back?

If so, I have no follow up from anyone....
Thanks for reaching out. I see the case I opened was closed at the end of July; your CSM had advised you to bring your vehicle back to your dealer to have it checked out.

Meagan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Follow-up from August 21- Back from dealer today

I have a 2012 Focus SEL with 28K miles. Always had intermittent shuttering, hesitation and noise issues. Yesterday, suddenly lost power and as with Steve above, would move at low rpm with hesitation, but to try to get up to speed, it would rev high, briefly accelerate, then cut out again, couldn't really get over 30mph. I noted the 15B22 on my online Ford account. Tow truck just took it away to the dealer, waiting for the likely inevitable back and forth to try and get it sorted. Given all the problems with this transmission, I'm hoping they just fix it. Will post resolution when I know something.
Car was nearly 3 weeks in the shop due to backlog of repairs- I was warned in advance that it might take 2 weeks or more and accepted it that to get the proper fix. They ended up pulling the trans, and at the direction of higher-ups in Ford service, tore down to look for mechanical failure. No failures. Reassembled and replaced TCM. I just drove it home and all seems fine. Despite delays, my service rep kept me fully informed along the way. Seems with the number of such repairs, things get stacked up awaiting specialty tools to do the work. I didn't need a loaner so no heartache and as I said, the service advisor has always been top-notch. I think these guys get stuck in the middle sometimes between customers and corporate and do the best they can. If I have follow-on transmission performance issues I'll re-post again, but for now, fingers crossed that this is the fix.[thumb]

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
czmike - despite the wait that sounds like a very good check over/repair for your issues.

With that list of symptoms, taking the time to tear down & check for other problems/damage seems a LOT better than just replacing the TCM and hoping it would be OK.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Car was nearly 3 weeks in the shop due to backlog of repairs- I was warned in advance that it might take 2 weeks or more and accepted it that to get the proper fix. They ended up pulling the trans, and at the direction of higher-ups in Ford service, tore down to look for mechanical failure. No failures. Reassembled and replaced TCM. I just drove it home and all seems fine. Despite delays, my service rep kept me fully informed along the way. Seems with the number of such repairs, things get stacked up awaiting specialty tools to do the work. I didn't need a loaner so no heartache and as I said, the service advisor has always been top-notch. I think these guys get stuck in the middle sometimes between customers and corporate and do the best they can. If I have follow-on transmission performance issues I'll re-post again, but for now, fingers crossed that this is the fix.[thumb]
I imagine it was more than just a teardown/reassemble - they probably cleaned the clutches, too. Hopefully, everything continues to operate well for you!

·
Registered
315 Posts
After 200+ miles the car still runs like crap. Shudders worse than it did before.
This doesn't make me feel better. The shuddering was worse than usual on my drive home from getting the update. I assumed it needed to learn again. I noticed that while shuddering (this only happens in 6th gear) the RPMs will flair about 250. I was barely going up a grade at 55 MPH. I normally drive on that road at that speed and don't have any issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like I said in a previous post - I was being pessimistic but was trying to turn that into some optimism - but sadly, the shuddering is worse. I gave one of my coworkers a ride this morning and he asked if my car was okay (in which I just laughed... because no, no it is not okay haha.) I think it really is a case by case fix - might work for some and might not for others...

61 - 80 of 335 Posts