Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my '14 Focus SE brand new in 09/14 (according to VIN is was built in 03/14). After driving it about 15,000 miles the transmission shaking/hesitation/slipping issues began. It only begins shaking after I've been driving it for minimum of 45 minutes, but it's very noticeable after that when in stop and go traffic, or at low speeds (under 10 mph). I've schedule an appointment with the dealer to get it looked at this Friday, so we'll see how they handle it. The 15B22 update is applicable to my VIN, so they might apply that too.
It sounds like you're describing my '14 Focus EXACTLY. Behaves fine in the mornings but if I drive it for an extended amount of time the shuddering begins, mostly between first and second gears and horrible in stop and go traffic. Please post here how things go on Friday. I'm very interested to know as my car is due to be serviced soon

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just had my '14 Focus SE in last Thursday and got the newest updates. The car came out running like the it did the first 12K miles and I thought we had a winner. Nope. Was great for 4 days, but on day 5, temperature shot back up to 90 (was in the low 80s) and the shudder came back. Seems worse to me too because instead of just being quick at 5-7mph and again at 15-17mph, it now has times where it starts at 5 and continues until it passes 20. I'm calling Ford again today...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my '14 Focus SE updated last week Aug.28. I also had the same issue with the clock that won't work even if I tried to change the date. I was about to go back to the dealership the following day when I tried again to change the clock. At first the problem was still there but after I tried to changed the date (and the system accepted it) then the clock started to work. So I did not bother to go back to the dealership. But it got stock again on Aug.30. I changed again the date and so far everything is ok.

That's for the clock/date. Now for the transmission issue. I feel like the shuddering is more frequent this time specially in a stop and go traffic. In highway (the shifting until I reach 60+mph), I noticed there's an increase in rpm before each shift. The service adviser told me that it needs to "re learn" again the shifting patterns and it might take another 1000 miles or so.

I also noticed that the fan speed, most of the time, is in high operation.

So far I'm not happy with this update. But I'll give it some time and observe. I hope Ford is taking notes on our experiences here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just had the transmission malfunction warning pop up on the dash. The transmission pretty much didn't know what gear it should be in, revving like crazy. Also, I wasn't able to get it into reverse. Restarted the car and everything is back to normal.

Dropping it off at the dealer on Friday (9/4). I figured I should have it documented by the service department even if they find nothing wrong. They will probably update it with this program. Safe to do? or stay away for now?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
It sounds like you're describing my '14 Focus EXACTLY. Behaves fine in the mornings but if I drive it for an extended amount of time the shuddering begins, mostly between first and second gears and horrible in stop and go traffic. Please post here how things go on Friday. I'm very interested to know as my car is due to be serviced soon
...Now for the transmission issue. I feel like the shuddering is more frequent this time specially in a stop and go traffic. In highway (the shifting until I reach 60+mph), I noticed there's an increase in rpm before each shift. The service adviser told me that it needs to "re learn" again the shifting patterns and it might take another 1000 miles or so.

I also noticed that the fan speed, most of the time, is in high operation.

So far I'm not happy with this update. But I'll give it some time and observe. I hope Ford is taking notes on our experiences here.
Well had my car updated and still no shifting just redlines at 30
So I just had the transmission malfunction warning pop up on the dash. The transmission pretty much didn't know what gear it should be in, revving like crazy. Also, I wasn't able to get it into reverse. Restarted the car and everything is back to normal.

Dropping it off at the dealer on Friday (9/4). I figured I should have it documented by the service department even if they find nothing wrong. They will probably update it with this program. Safe to do? or stay away for now?
Hi guys,

I want to get some more eyes on this. Please private message me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name. and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks! I can send my info once I get home, but I'd be wary of applying any updates based on some of the responses to this thread :/ (At least until we get some positive results)
I'll keep an eye out for it!

Meagan

·
Registered
11 Posts
FSA 15B88 is good so far

I had FSA 15B22 done by my dealer back on Aug. 19th, so it has been a couple of weeks now. I had occasional shuddering at low speed acceleration, usually after the car had been running earlier (like after an hour sitting in the parking lot). It never lasted very long or caused me too much grief. I always have the dealer install any firmware updates that are available when I go in for my 6 month oil changes. So far so good. I have to say the transmission and shift points are the best since I bought the car new in Oct of 2013. I would say go for the update based on my experience with it and just in general that I expect Ford to only put out updates that improves things, not make them worse. (though I know stuff happens sometimes) [thumb]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took my car in for check engine light and redlining at 30 mph and not shifting theyve had it since yesterday and technichician doesnt know why its behaving like this just gets me more worried

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had FSA 15B22 done by my dealer back on Aug. 19th, so it has been a couple of weeks now. I had occasional shuddering at low speed acceleration, usually after the car had been running earlier (like after an hour sitting in the parking lot). It never lasted very long or caused me too much grief. I always have the dealer install any firmware updates that are available when I go in for my 6 month oil changes. So far so good. I have to say the transmission and shift points are the best since I bought the car new in Oct of 2013. I would say go for the update based on my experience with it and just in general that I expect Ford to only put out updates that improves things, not make them worse. (though I know stuff happens sometimes) [thumb]
utronford:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the update. How many miles have you put on the car since the update (if you don't mind saying)? Sounds like your Focus has adapted well to the new programming.

I'm pondering whether to have it done but our Focus does not have any shifting issues other than the low-speed, light throttle take-off shudder and some random murmuring noises at about 40 to 45 mph. Nothing really to sqawk about, really.

Thank you.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
utronford:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the update. How many miles have you put on the car since the update (if you don't mind saying)? Sounds like your Focus has adapted well to the new programming.

I'm pondering whether to have it done but our Focus does not have any shifting issues other than the low-speed, light throttle take-off shudder and some random murmuring noises at about 40 to 45 mph. Nothing really to sqawk about, really.

Thank you.

Chris
Only about 400 miles since the TCM update was done (I assume the firmware replaces the existing firmware so that would include possible new shift point algorithms along with whatever else it includes, so it is all related). But it was driven every day in city traffic with lots of stops and go's and plenty of hills - so it is a pretty good test so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
sailor and utronford,

Thanks, fellas. [cheers]

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been having this issue for over a year now. I took it into the dealer a year ago, and since they "could not recreate the problem", they were unwilling to do anything. Reading some of these stories is pretty scary, and a bit disappointing on Ford's part.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had mine in yesterday to have 15b22 done. I understood what it was so i wasnt expecting it to shift like a million bucks or be a whole different car. What i did expect was a light to be thrown when my car shuddered like it was rolling on the side of the highway on those riveted lane departure warning strips. I also expected it to throw something when i accelerated from a stop and it bogged to 600rpm then slowly climbed all while jerking and slipping. Unfortunately it has done none of that. So either the software update is useless, or my car is supposed to act like this and its time to trade it in lol. Only other thing i can think of is that the car update has a break in period before it throws the code, just in case its a one time anomaly, but with it happening at every complete stop all the way home from the dealer (which is 63 miles away mind you). I would of thought for sure something would of popped.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
From all info. posted on this update, the codes/warnings it adds are strictly related to the TCM and it's possible failure to function. (not shifting, not starting etc..)

Nothing to do with warnings on clutch shudder events.

CJ - if the Dealer applied this alone for a complaint about shuddering, someone there dropped the ball and didn't do the proper tests/reprogramming /recheck to see if operation improves or if yours needs the clutches/seals replaced. Make sure to tell them your issues in detail, just going in for that update won't help you or anyone else with existing problems of any sort.

·
Registered
195 Posts
From all info. posted on this update, the codes/warnings it adds are strictly related to the TCM and it's possible failure to function. (not shifting, not starting etc..)

Nothing to do with warnings on clutch shudder events.

CJ - if the Dealer applied this alone for a complaint about shuddering, someone there dropped the ball and didn't do the proper tests/reprogramming /recheck to see if operation improves or if yours needs the clutches/seals replaced. Make sure to tell them your issues in detail, just going in for that update won't help you or anyone else with existing problems of any sort.
The tech had also told me that it reduces the shudder tolerance so the tcm will throw a code easier.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Excuse my skepticism, but since this is the first time I've heard of a "code" for shudder - I'll wait to hear of someone actually getting that code before believing that tech..

If one was in the system, there would be no need for Dealers to link up their portable computer to test for shudder levels when determining if new clutches were needed.

Believe it when I see it, you kinda proved it isn't there yourself.

41 - 60 of 335 Posts