Focus Fanatics Forum banner

301 - 320 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So to get back to specifics of 15B22...... this update doesn't fix anything, but rather just causes a check engine light/alert to pop up. So then what? Does that help the dealer troubleshoot the problem? Let's get down to brass tacks, how does this update help me? Because I'm reading a metric boatload of people are having huge battles with transmission problems and fighting the dealer for fixes, and yet others said they had no problems, the dealer applied the 15B22 update while they were in for other work, and now they have problems (example of this within the first couple pages)?!

C

·
0 Posts
So to get back to specifics of 15B22...... this update doesn't fix anything, but rather just causes a check engine light/alert to pop up. So then what? Does that help the dealer troubleshoot the problem? Let's get down to brass tacks, how does this update help me? Because I'm reading a metric boatload of people are having huge battles with transmission problems and fighting the dealer for fixes, and yet others said they had no problems, the dealer applied the 15B22 update while they were in for other work, and now they have problems (example of this within the first couple pages)?!
guess i'm not alone then, 4 times the dash has lite up, buzzers gone off, trans overheating stop, trans overheating stop safely, trans over heating stop wait 6 mins, each time NO hard code has set to help the techs figure out what's going on, this trans has no temp sensor save inside the programing

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
guess i'm not alone then, 4 times the dash has lite up, buzzers gone off, trans overheating stop, trans overheating stop safely, trans over heating stop wait 6 mins, each time NO hard code has set to help the techs figure out what's going on, this trans has no temp sensor save inside the programing
Do you have 15B22 installed?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So to get back to specifics of 15B22...... this update doesn't fix anything, but rather just causes a check engine light/alert to pop up. So then what? Does that help the dealer troubleshoot the problem?
It's warning you of impending TCM failure. Basically telling you "take me to the dealer" ASAP before you get stranded.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Dang that's odd, the whole point to the update (separate from OTHER updates that seem to usually be done at the same time) is to provide more trans "codes" and avoid the "CEL but no code" situations.

It's those other updates that change operation, sometimes not for the better.

C

·
0 Posts
here is what went down today , no mil lite up. stored code p0219 engine over rev, freeze frame data logger showed in drive, vss 0 mph, rpm 2571, loed 18%, ectt 822, rpmdsd 822, run time 8 hours 47 mins. cleared faults, reset readiness, road test then the most loved NO PROBLEM FOUND,
each time this has happened I was starting from a dead stop to make a turn or having to hammer down to make a climb up the mountain I live on " 25% grade for 2 miles" one time heavy footing up it the pedal seemed to stay open briefly wide open making for a very scary ride for those few seconds

doing a site search in here for p0219 I find links to the ford tech and others warning of the tcm starting to fail, something the dealer thinks is not happening . looking more at home I found the wire harness very tight against the intake no shielding,

any thoughts?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I took my car in recently for the 15B22 update.
The service tech asked me what kind of issues I was having with the car, if any. They ran through the TCM update and did the clutch tests again, which were done 30K miles ago and found nothing significant.

This time around they seem perfectly fine with contacting Ford for recommendations and a possible clutch pack replacement after giving me the run-around 1 1/2 years ago.

What is odd is that the car doesn't drive any worse than it did 1 1/2 years ago, not to say that it has been very good. Shuddering in stop and go traffic, clutch chattering and RPM surges between gear shifts have been common for me from time to time.

My dealer contacted Ford engineering in the past and almost had a guy come down from Michigan to take a look at it, but were then told not to service it due to my after-market air filter. (GREEN drop-in, which is sold by Ford Performance in a different color) All I got were shrugs, "do you know how a manual transmission works?" and "sorry, can't do anything for you" during my past visits in 2014.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The service tech asked me what kind of issues I was having with the car, if any. They ran through the TCM update and did the clutch tests again, which were done 30K miles ago and found nothing significant.

This time around they seem perfectly fine with contacting Ford for recommendations and a possible clutch pack replacement after giving me the run-around 1 1/2 years ago.

What is odd is that the car doesn't drive any worse than it did 1 1/2 years ago, not to say that it has been very good. Shuddering in stop and go traffic, clutch chattering and RPM surges between gear shifts have been common for me from time to time.

My dealer contacted Ford engineering in the past and almost had a guy come down from Michigan to take a look at it, but were then told not to service it due to my after-market air filter. (GREEN drop-in, which is sold by Ford Performance in a different color) All I got were shrugs, "do you know how a manual transmission works?" and "sorry, can't do anything for you" during my past visits in 2014.
I'd love to have the time and resources to put each of those smug service advisors & the customer they are fooling, into my vw gti with a wet dual clutch..

Some will say you can't compare the wet to dry clutch but I'd say if the dry runs this bad, and the wet so smoothly, maybe Ford shouldn't be selling the dry one.

If you haven't driven both kinds, you don't know how well one CAN drive.

·
Registered
185 Posts

I almost lost it when I read that. What does an air filter have to do with the transmission? Looks like they were looking for excuses while giving you false hope. I'm done with mine. As soon as I close on my home, we are getting rid of it and getting a Pre-Owned Volt or another Hybrid...and keeping the Sonic 1.4T. It's just not worth it anymore....not so much the transmission, but living in constant fear that I'm going to have another door latch issue and won't be as lucky the next time with the dealer eating the cost. Who knows how long that NHTSA investigation will go on before there is a recall.

C

·
0 Posts
I'd love to have the time and resources to put each of those smug service advisors & the customer they are fooling, into my vw gti with a wet dual clutch..

Some will say you can't compare the wet to dry clutch but I'd say if the dry runs this bad, and the wet so smoothly, maybe Ford shouldn't be selling the dry one.

If you haven't driven both kinds, you don't know how well one CAN drive.
I sure hear you on the VW wet dct unit. I worked on them from 2003 till I retired, way better unit and much better designed. fords down grade was from 2 items cost per and epa MPG rating.
as to mine! good by and hello mazda 3

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I sure hear you on the VW wet dct unit. I worked on them from 2003 till I retired, way better unit and much better designed. fords down grade was from 2 items cost per and epa MPG rating.
as to mine! good by and hello mazda 3
I had a 2013 mazda-3 for 2 years and just passed it down to the kids. 35 mpg overall, handles beautiful, solid car, holds 80mph all day on highway and good in snow.

Smooth shifting tranny, not quite as ferocious quick as the focus BUT thats an easy trade to arguing with ford dealers, getting escalations, trying snorkel deletes and WOT as well as any other hoop you should NOT have to jump thru.

One issue with mazda tranny, 55,000 miles, stuck in 2nd would not up or down shift even in manual mode. Dealer looked genuinely surprised, reset the tranny computer and NO charge even though past warranty.

compare THAT to the focus experience

C

·
0 Posts
2013 focus se w 30k on the clock trade in 8.5k to a 24k mazda 3 i'll bet the mazda holds double that in 3 years

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I had a 2013 mazda-3 for 2 years and just passed it down to the kids. 35 mpg overall, handles beautiful, solid car, holds 80mph all day on highway and good in snow.

Smooth shifting tranny, not quite as ferocious quick as the focus BUT thats an easy trade to arguing with ford dealers, getting escalations, trying snorkel deletes and WOT as well as any other hoop you should NOT have to jump thru.

One issue with mazda tranny, 55,000 miles, stuck in 2nd would not up or down shift even in manual mode. Dealer looked genuinely surprised, reset the tranny computer and NO charge even though past warranty.

compare THAT to the focus experience
I really don't want to defend a Ford dealer, but each one is different. Same with every brand. I owned a Mazda RX8 for ~5 years and had shit service from my dealer. The smug condescending attitude I got from the service writer was appalling. This guy was so effing jealous I was young and driving an RX8. In his exact words, it's "an exotic sports car". ROFL! Look bud. I may look young, but I'm in my 30s and paid for the car without daddy money. But none of that is any of your business anyway, fix my damn air conditioner!

But as for Ford vs Mazda, Mazda saw major problems with the RX8 rotary engine. And what did they do? Extended the powertrain warranty for all RX8s to 10 years 100k miles. Now THAT is something to brag about. They stepped up to the plate, while Ford snakes off into the darkness and hides.

2013 focus se w 30k on the clock trade in 8.5k to a 24k mazda 3 i'll bet the mazda holds double that in 3 years
The Mazda3 has always had outstanding trade value. It has been jockeying #1 and 2 with the Honda Civic/Accord for years.

C

·
0 Posts
firebirdude
I tried driving a focus rx but couldn't handle the 45k price tag for one. looked at and drove a fusion awd with the same 2.0 eboost as my escape, again what sticker shock just to add the 2.0 added 3k to the price,
the mazda 3 5 door fits my now old age needs, with 3 good dealers very near by to handle any problem

sorry to hear you had dealer issues with the rx. normally they hold up if they don't mazda has always been fast to back up the product, even 35 years back the rotary would have leaking seals, they backed them up with out any problems, but now a days our fix is to pull the rotary and drop in a chevy LS with a 6 speed
GRANNYSSPEEDSHOP.COM http://www.ls1rx8.com/

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
sorry to hear you had dealer issues with the rx. normally they hold up if they don't mazda has always been fast to back up the product, even 35 years back the rotary would have leaking seals, they backed them up with out any problems, but now a days our fix is to pull the rotary and drop in a chevy LS with a 6 speed
GRANNYSSPEEDSHOP.COM Rx8 Swap Kits - V8 Rx8 Conversions
I didn't really have problems with the RX8. A small air conditioning problem that never resurfaced once fixed. Just pointing out that any manufacturer can have a shitty dealer.

As for mechanical issues.....or really issues of any kind, the RX8 was great to me. Had 8000 miles on it when I bought it and I sold it with 60k. Never really any problems. Fun car. But it got terrible gas milage and had zero utility. Yeah it has 4 seats, but it's a struggle to carry much in it. As I got older, I ended up selling it for a truck. lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys I was posting here a while ago and just wanted to give an update. My 2014 had the shudder really bad. Got a new clutch pack as well as the flash. Car was good to go for about two months until the shudder came back again. I wasn't about to have them install another clutch pack when the car only has 15k miles on it. It was time for me to consider trading it in and letting someone else deal with the shudder. Sadly I won't be buying another Focus until this issue is fully resolved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's extremely disappointing to hear, Joe. My car is also a 2014. The new clutch pack was installed two weeks ago. So far so good....but quite frankly I'm just kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop. Right now, though, it drives really, REALLY well. I can't believe what a difference the new clutch pack made.

·
Registered
426 Posts
wish you all the best on the clutch rebuild, i have decided not to tear mine apart, it just keeps getting worse. i want it bad, if i have to demonstrate it someday. as i have taken legal action on this issue. good luck all steve

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hey guys I was posting here a while ago and just wanted to give an update. My 2014 had the shudder really bad. Got a new clutch pack as well as the flash. Car was good to go for about two months until the shudder came back again. I wasn't about to have them install another clutch pack when the car only has 15k miles on it. It was time for me to consider trading it in and letting someone else deal with the shudder. Sadly I won't be buying another Focus until this issue is fully resolved.
Thank you for coming back and updating us after the repairs did NOT hold up.
I gave up and traded mine a couple years ago for the same reason.
The ford reps here are great and will escalate owners cases but if you wait and watch, everyone comes back because the repair does not hold.

301 - 320 of 335 Posts