Focus Fanatics Forum banner

181 - 200 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had pics and video. The dealership says they won't use that because they need to experience it firsthand and be able to duplicate the problem.
Though, you would think the scratches on my back bumper and dented in license plate from hitting a pedestrian in a parking garage would warrant something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a new owner of a 2014 Focus SE which had a very noticeable shudder. I am happy to report that the application of the reprogramming made a huge difference immediately - from the moment I drove out of the parking lot it has been very smooth.

A possible side effect - I can't change the hour on the clock. Maybe unrelated.

I will update if anything changes, but so far, what a difference!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I must admit, the first two weeks, mine still shuddered after this update, but then, all of a sudden, it diminished almost entirely. It was like night and day. Of course, now that I mention the positive, I'm sure it'll start shuddering again today.
And just like that, the shudder returns. Ugh. And that's under cooler, morning temps in the 40's and 50's!

It can't be the clutch.... must be flaky electronics causing the solenoids to act up, leading to the perception of clutch hop.

I honestly believe that if they replaced the TCM and all of the actuators, it would fix the problem for good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I took my girlfriends 2015 focus in because it was a little shuddery to have the newest software put on hers that im assuming came with the 15b22 recall on the earlier models. Unfortunately i ended up needing a clutch replacement. So if youre wondering if the 2015 models are all sorted out, the answers no. It has 5500 miles on it and its going to get its first clutch. On a plus side i did get to have a sausage egg mcmuffin at noon because the trip put me near a mcdonalds and its all day breakfast....so theres that. So that would be 4 clutches on my 12 and now 1 on the 15....i hope it ends soon lol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
wouldn't this update still be worth it to get, so we at least have the symptoms to get ford to get this fixed? does replacing the clutch packs solve this issue at all, or is it all software based?

I've had shudder for ages (I have a 2012 with fairly low mileage), I've brought it up to ford before but they couldn't duplicate it. with this, im assuming at least i'll throw errors and create evidence that way?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
This update is for TCM fault codes, though some have mentioned other reprogramming done at the same time that helped.

Not starting/shifting type issues for that TCM problems, "shudder" isn't really related.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Focus No Start Post Shudder

My 2012 Ford Focus was experiencing the infamous shudder. I got a letter from Ford regarding the recall. While I was out of town a family member brought the car in and the dealer took care of it. The work included a new clutch on the automatic transmission, but fortunately I didn't have to pay for anything. I had the car about two weeks and the shudder seems to have gone away.

However, in the pile of mail I acquired while I was out of town, I noticed another recall letter from Ford dated August 2015. I wasn't sure if this was the same problem or another issue. Yesterday, I put the key in the ignition, the radio and lights came on, but the car wouldn't start. I tried a few things, but always had the same result. After researching it on the web, it seems it's related to the second recall (TCM issue/SUP 15B22/CSP 14M02). I called the service department at the dealer where they did the previous work. I explained the situation to the guy in the service department. He looked up my car in his system and told me they had not done the additional "TCM" work and he suggested I take it to a Ford dealer. He said the issue should be covered by the recall. Tomorrow I'm towing it to another dealer, much closer to where the car is, to get the additional work done.

I hope this is the last of these issues. I'm starting to lose confidence in the car which is a shame considering it only has 24k miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This update is for TCM fault codes, though some have mentioned other reprogramming done at the same time that helped.

Not starting/shifting type issues for that TCM problems, "shudder" isn't really related.
Sailor is absolutely correct in that the shudder and the TCM are two separate issues. Based on personal experience, I advise everyone to get these issues fixed at a dealer as soon as possible.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Chicago - didn't have to prove me right so dramatically!

Bad timing on the TCM failure after the clutch work, the 14MO2 covers it but it's def. an additional PITA.

Don't know if the 15B22 updates would have given warning before it died, I'd bet they're better for the intermittents as proof/warning of the issue than when it up & quits suddenly. Hopefully most will have an intermittent before failure to catch it before it strands folks, that's the idea at least. (intermitents not noticed without the warnings for an early catch)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Alright, so after being bounced from dealership to dealership, I finally got 15b22 done today. Part of the work order says "Completed performing 15B22 recall per Ford PCM and TCM reprogramming. Completed reprogramming PCM to latest calibration PCM [number] and TCM [number]. Performed TCM adaptive clutch test..."

So it looks like I got the TCM update and whatever else reprogramming that needed to occur for the DCT? First service adviser said that the break in period is about 5-10 miles, so he clearly didn't understand my question, or he wasn't sure that the break in/relearning period is 500-1000 miles.

500-1000 miles is about 2-4 weeks driving, so I shouldn't have to wait too long.

I did drive it again in the late evening after the car had cooled down and noticed that responsiveness on gear shifting was a lot more rapid--almost like a staccato feel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 4 days into having the "15b22" fix/recall taken care of. Just hit 30,000 miles. Not thrilled with the results, but I'll be patient because I really have no choice. I'll give it 1,000 miles and see what happens. One thing: I do feel like I'm noticing a reduction in fuel efficiency. Could be the change of the season and air temps changing, but I haven't reset my mpg calculator in a LONG time and it's definitely dropping. Anyone else experience that? Hope it's not something else....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm 4 days into having the "15b22" fix/recall taken care of. Just hit 30,000 miles. Not thrilled with the results, but I'll be patient because I really have no choice. I'll give it 1,000 miles and see what happens. One thing: I do feel like I'm noticing a reduction in fuel efficiency. Could be the change of the season and air temps changing, but I haven't reset my mpg calculator in a LONG time and it's definitely dropping. Anyone else experience that? Hope it's not something else....
The MPGs on my vehicle dramatically dropped after a previous update. Ford's words to me was that they do not guarantee or warranty miles per gallon. Technically, they can promise you that your vehicle gets 36mpg, but do nothing when you only get 19mpg. They said if I wanted to pay out of pocket I could have them update it - at only 19,000 miles.
Really makes me wonder if this TCM "emissions" update is related to the Volkswagen debacle, since this update was done under the extended emissions warranty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dropped my car off yesterday at the dealer I purchased it at. They evaluated it, and reprogrammed the TCM, and the Powertrain Control Module. They also said that I need a new clutch installed, and they were ordering it to replace the original. Why did I ever waste my money on this big pile of crap? All I want is out of it so I can get a reliable car.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Dropped my car off yesterday at the dealer I purchased it at. They evaluated it, and reprogrammed the TCM, and the Powertrain Control Module. They also said that I need a new clutch installed, and they were ordering it to replace the original. Why did I ever waste my money on this big pile of crap? All I want is out of it so I can get a reliable car.
How much you want for it? How many miles? What's your VIN?

181 - 200 of 335 Posts