Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, the story starts with I, purchasing a set of SVT Mach hid's that needed some TLC. I paid $80 after shipping for them. Well one of the lenses are cracked and the back plastic is all cracked up and busted. But you don't see that part. A plus is that it had all the bulbs and balasts were good. Everything is there. So in my pitty of how I'm going to get a lens. I thought...maybe I can fiberglass them into the european hella rallye style headlights. Refrence pic: Thank you MattZX3. I hope you don't mind me using a picture of your headlight.

Of course it would take some work, but I think it would be sweet to have some one of a kind Svt hid projector headlights w/ the 4 bulbs.
My only concern would be sealing up the lenses to make sure no water gets in. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
I wouldn't risk those projector open to the elements. They are ALOT of money.

Good luck but fiber glassing them ion is gonna be alot of work and your going to run into aiming issues as well trying to secure the projector, making sure they are water proof, and that they do not chip due to road driving. A lens would have to be taken from a hella ight as well seeing as the MACH's high beam is not enclosed.

Good luck and if you do this let me know if you get rid of the guts to the MACHs i am looking for some.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
just buy a set of non-HID headlights(should be pretty cheap...you might even be able to buy some off of someone local and not have to ship), stick them in the oven, pull the lenses off, then stick the MACHs in the oven and pull what's left of those lenses off, and put the non-HID lenses on the MACHs. It has been done many times...I know pappy has done it and stolle on FJ did it. I'll go look for a pic....

here's Stolle's car:

notice the vertical lines in the flat setion next to the grille? that's not there in the MACH lenses but it doesn't affect the light throw. You could probably even sand them down to get rid of them if you wanted and had enough time

and here's Pappy's car...notice the same lines next to the grille

I personally am not a fan of the hella headlights you want to fiberglass your MACHs into and vote to just buy new lenses, but if you do end up doing the fiberglassing keep us updated and PLEASE protect the projector like Snack said to

hope they don't mind me using pics of their cars haha

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I actually have an extra set of stock lenses, I was debating doing that also. I was just tossing up the idea of wether to try and make some one of a kind headlights. But seeing that there are other people that put the stock lenses on the hids, I might just do that. I may even try the sanding down of the lines. As I'd be doing the sanding of the outside lenses anyway.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
as others have said, replace the lens with a normal focus lens, and then make the housing repairs as needed to keep the mach set-up. You'll have a lot better quality headlight in the end.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allright. I'll just replace the lenses. I guess I'll show you some pictures of what I'm working with. Good thing I have a lot of epoxy.
The wiring plug is busted. I'll have to fab something up.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
wow, i looked the picture over for a few minutes. . . and i dont know of a good way of going about it to fix the headlight. Obviously you can fix the front lens no problem, but that back bucket is in non-repairable shape. I think your best bet at this time would be:

a) junk the entire headlight, and keep the hid components and trim bezel
b) purchase another mach headlight that has a damaged lens with a good bucket and piece the light together using parts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Good canidate for painting perhaps, but wow, that does look busted and good!

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Wow, those look a lot worse than I'd imagined. I'm afraid to ask what the other looks like lol. Good luck with the project though, it'll be totally worth it in the end if you can pull it off...I want me some MACHs

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys don't have any faith. Sure there not going to be the sweetest headlights when they are out of the car, but once they're in, the part you'll see will look just the same, if not better, cause I'll be painting them black. I epoxied the two pieces back together just now, and I'll have to find a piece of plastic to cover the hole that's still there. I do have the ballasts and the other headlight is in great shape. Little bit of fogging, but not bad for it. I'll post up some pictures as they come together.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
I never said I had no faith in you, I just don't think it'll be easy. And hell, even if they don't look perfect, they'll be black which will help hide imperfections and they cost you what, 80 bucks? Can't beat that for MACHs!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does anyone know why the mach lenses get so screwed up compared to the regular focus headlights? I am also in search for some new lenses because mine are completely foggy.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
just sand them down, polish them, and re-apply the UV protectant....I'm pretty sure you can buy a kit at Discount Auto or someplace like that. I have an extra set of chrome housing headlights that are all hazed over that I'm hopefully going to restore, paint black, and retro-fit some HIDs into

1 - 18 of 18 Posts