Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get killed with "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON" replies, let me explain.

I know a fair amount about the focus. I have a heavily modified one, and have helped several people with all motor bolt ons and a turbo build on the zetec.

Here is my point. SCT proracer, yeah, it is supposed to be this great end all be all programming solution for a FI focus. But I have heard nothing but problems with it. It is farily difficult to learn, has programming glitches, version troubles, and sync problems with widebands. I am very good with the fabrication aspect of a turbo build, and have pretty good confidence that I can design and build a kit, but I am stumped as far as the tuning goes. I want to start getting a kit together, but I am scared off of even starting it until there is a better solution for tuning. I have afriend that is babying his car along after a 6 month turbo build and 4k into the kit, he cant go above 4.5k because he cant get the SCT PRP tuned right.

TOM - are you in the progress of making a tuning solution involving the mafia? I heard rumors.

Opinions/comments/thoughts/ share em

·
FF Affiliate
30,871 Posts
If you can build a turbo kit you shouldnt have any issues learning the PRP, If anyone is having issues Im here to help

If your friend is having issues he needs to find a tuner that knows how to tune a Focus (not one that sais he can tune anything ) and go let him teach him what is needed to make his car safe , anyone that comes here for tuning with a PRP leaves with a some understanding of how to use it or at least change the important things , after it gets a basic tune there is only a few things that will need to be changed for safety like the fuel and timing and that can be done in 3 places

The MAFia can be used with any software out there its what makes it stand on its own and work so well

Tom

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
stupid browser. ignore this

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
this one two

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
the one bonacci is talking about is me, after completely re-doing my setup and switching to blow through, i have been working with my ORIGINAL base file trying to make it work. first i had an issue with my oil return line warping shut from the heat of the exhaust, which backed oil into all of my piping and fouled the crap outta my maf. after taking off the entire set of tubing and cleaning it out, replacing the maf, and taking off the intake manifold and cleaning that as well, i still had an issue, which turned out to be the plugs getting destroyed be previous mishap. new plugs and i was back into tunning, then my WG diaphram tore, and now the car boosts 16psi so i cant let it go above 4.5k rpms or im going to blow this thing up. im trying to get some cash together for a new WG, which i should be purchasing the end of this week finally, and then i can start getting back into tunning. a big problem for me has been the knock sensor, it pulls timing if i kick the floorboard, its too sensative and it is making it very hard to tune, as even the slightest suspension noise is setting it off and pulling like 7 degrees on me at random. the file is fine, im just having hardware issues, but it definately IS very discouraging. im the only turbo focus for 100miles, and everyone around me knows it, and tries to race me, and it pisses me off to have to baby the car and im starting to itch really bad to get on this pig.

·
FF Affiliate
30,871 Posts
Something does not sound right there I havent had any issues with the knock sensor on the ZX3 being to sensative you may truely have your timing to high

Does it pull 7 deg why at 2500RPM STD cruise down the HWY ? Or do you only see it being pulled at WOT

Tom

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
hurtinfocus said:
it definately IS very discouraging. im the only turbo focus for 100miles, and everyone around me knows it, and tries to race me, and it pisses me off to have to baby the car and im starting to itch really bad to get on this pig.
Try having a 340whp Focus setting in the driveway because something is wrong in the tune templet itself............ talk about being pissed.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
1turbofocus said:
Something does not sound right there I havent had any issues with the knock sensor on the ZX3 being to sensative you may truely have your timing to high

Does it pull 7 deg why at 2500RPM STD cruise down the HWY ? Or do you only see it being pulled at WOT

Tom
it just pulls timing at random, as in holding speed at highway, NOT WOT

·
FF Affiliate
30,871 Posts
You know you can turn off the KS or limit how much it takes out at a given RPM , it could be turned all the way off up to 3500 , 4250 is where this engine is most prone to deto and again at 6200

I would have to see your file to see where you timing is at to help any more

Tom

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
thanks for the tip tom, ill check that out. i got the a/f fixed up nice now, i just have to get playing with timing now. ive got alot pulled for saftey during tunning, but now that i have the a/r where i want i can start putting some back in. btw, do by chance make a 3" maf tube for the new cobra maf? i bought an 03 cobra maf, and the mount holes are off by like an 1/8"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts