Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

This is an old car that I need to drive till the end of the summer if possible

I went to my mechanic today because I started hearing a "vrooooommmm" :) noise coming from the front left wheel. The noise disappears of fades away when I change the direction (even slightly) toward the left. It stays there and it manifests at higher speeds when going straight or turning right.

How bad is it and how long can I continue to drive the car in this condition?

After inspecting the car my mechanic is also telling me that the car needs a tie rod replacement and them an alignment .... how do I check if that is the case? He is telling me that if that tie rod fails I can hit someone or cause an accident .... what are the symptoms that this part needs to be replaced?

I am just trying to see if I can continue to use the car for a little while (am currently I doing 100km/day with it on highway) . I might chose to park the car and use it to move some renovation materials this summer and then I will be done with it...

any help will be much appreciated, thanks a lot
PF

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
bearings can go quickly its hard to tell. if you know the bearing is bad you should replace it. Tie rod I would have double checked to see if there is any play in it.

Alignments should be done on a yearly basis (minimum). Most major shops will so a check for free but will cost to correct or change you can take it to a shop to check it out and see if it needs an alignment but after a bearing replacement and a tie rod end you should have an alignment.

·
Registered
964 Posts
We're all entitled to our opinion but you definitely don't need analignment on the yearly basis. Any shop that checks them from free I would be worried about, because most of the work on a alignment is actually checking the alignment.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Depends on the roads you drive...

Les Shwab does it this way, think fire stone also does a check. They do it with the assumption that if it's bad you will getnit taken care of.

If you drive on dirt roads or have lots of pot holes it's recomended to get it even more.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
bearings can go quickly its hard to tell. if you know the bearing is bad you should replace it. Tie rod I would have double checked to see if there is any play in it.

Alignments should be done on a yearly basis (minimum). Most major shops will so a check for free but will cost to correct or change you can take it to a shop to check it out and see if it needs an alignment but after a bearing replacement and a tie rod end you should have an alignment.
So what happens when the bearings are gone?

I drive on the highway mostly ...one way has some rough patches not sure what the city is waiting for to fix those potholes...

Where/How do I check the play for tie rods? Manually?

Guys please remember that I need to drive this for another three monts
The shop I went to asked 800 for changing the bearing, the tie rods and break pads
CanadianTire in Toronto was asking for even more.... and they refuse to change just the pads. I am not sure I need to change them...

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you have complete wheel bearing failure your tire can actually separate from the vehicle. You obviously have a bad wheel bearing by the sound you're describing. The way you normally check for wheel bearing play is grab the tire at 12 and 6, and 9 and 3. You would try to move the tire assembly in those directions the vehicle off the ground of course. If you have movement in both those directions you definitely have a bad wheel bearing. Now sometimes wheel bearings fail and don't have movement in them, but what can eventually happen is the wheel bearing will lock up. The way most people check for tie rod play is grabbing the tire at 9 and 3, and trying to rock the assembly for movement. Plenty of videos on YouTube that demonstrate this so you can get a visual.
That price doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
note that some wiggle when rotating at 3 and 9 on the tire/wheel will have some movement in the steering rack it self by moving the steering wheel from the internal locks at the steering column.

I drove 1400 miles home from Focus Fest on a band wheel bearing. some have driven a few miles with issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, i looks like my care is done
I am sorry to see it going, it has been a good ride ..to bad the engine had only 244K mileage... lots of rust though ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts