Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I have a Ford focus 2006 sedan and the last 3 months I have noticed the check engine light would come on and the car goes into limp mode and from first until you get up to about 50 mph then your fine.

I took it to a mechanic who checked it then cleared the codes.
He said the two codes were for a Knock Sensor and Cam sensor but they said see how it goes.

Hour later it was still doing it.
Should I see what code comes up now or get the sensors replaced.

Amy suggestions on what it could be?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Don't kill the messenger. The sensors are perhaps trying to indicate a larger engine problem, partcicularly if you're going into limp mode. (And btw speeding up to "cure" a problem probably isn't the best idea.)
What exact DTC codes are coming up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not quite sure.
They never mentioned it to me...
The strange thing is its intermittent. Some says it doesn't come on but then when it's warm sometimes it comes on.

What do you think is the best way to go from here

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Limp mode is usually initiated when the car starts to over heat. This would be consistent with your symptoms - driving faster (on a level road?) would force more air through the radiator aiding cooling - and warmer weather would make any marginal engine cooling situation worse. Engine may experience knock/ping as it overheats.

First step would be to give the cooling system the once over from top to bottom, imo.
Check fan operation, coolant level, fan resistor integrity (if AC equipped and if like North American models), coolant system pressure i.e. reservoir cap seals properly, cooling system fuses and relays, cooling wiring harness integrity, thermostat operation, etc.

btw, going into "failsafe cooling mode" (limp mode) should also set a DTC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called a mechanic and he said sounds like a cam sensor and that most of the type it's just the sensor.

The car doesn't over heat and it can happen when I start it up when cold. Just sometimes it comes on after using the car earlier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a P2110 error code. Replaced throttle body now getting DTC E196 code. Hi all. Used this great forum for answers before but first time posting. I've had the P2110 code on my 2006 Ford Focus LS so I replaced the throttle body. Now I'm getting a E196 DTC code on the dash self diagnostics test that wasn't there previously. Cars still a tad rough and The engine light is still on also. Tried battery resetting it , accelerator pedal push in slowly and releasing ect. Left car idling for ten minutes hoping CPU would learn new part. All to no prevail. Can someone please help me. Is there something I'm missing or a way to clear check engine light. I've been messing around with this issues for two weeks now. I'm gunna blow a gasket. ???
Thanks guys ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts