Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im new to these forums and Im looking to buy a Focus svt. I have some questions first. I can not find one I live in Oregon and Have looked through autotrader and craigslist with no luck at all!! Which year did they make them??? What kind of gas milage will I expect from the focus??
Thank You

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
2002-2004.

I see about 18-20 MPG driving like a mad-man.

It might get harder and harder to find one now that they stopped making them. Ive considered selling mine and going back to my roots (Miata)...but I cant help but shrug of the idea due to the car being rare.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i avg 18-22

get 26ish averaging 80 on the highways.

all depends on how im driving

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I got over 350 miles out of my tank cruising in 6th gear from Myrtle Beach to Baltimore...like I said, I drive with my right foot pushing down at all times...

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I average 22-28 in my ZX3 2.3 which is supposed to get 25/33 respectively. However I have gone over 400 on one tank cruising from SD to Vegas...I think it just all depends on how you drive. The SVT says it averages 22/25 on paper..but I think you could get more out of it if you drive it nicely and don't put it into the zone.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My 2004 averaged around 26mpg last summer, in mostly highway driving. You can get more if you're attentive, and much less if you always hammer on it. Depending on how much research you've done, you may or may not know you need Premium fuel. Not in the fashion of, say most BMW's, which "need" premium, this really isnt very negotiable.

Make sure you find one to test drive, if economy and entertainment are equal concerns tho test a Mazda3 and a Civic as well. Maybe a Matrix XRS, depending on how you feel about Toyota.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
the best that i have gotten on the highway is 29mpg at 83 mph. umm i see horrible city mileage like 18 or 17 if i'm lucky. and the whole 93 octance thing try and drive you car on 87 and see what happens its horrible

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
How do you figure your MPG? Are you just taking the number of miles and deviding that by the number of gallons?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Is there some other way???

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Darth Focus said:
I got over 350 miles out of my tank cruising in 6th gear from Myrtle Beach to Baltimore...like I said, I drive with my right foot pushing down at all times...

same here, i went from windser, canada to cleveland, ohio in pretty much close to 3 hours and got well over 300 ( i think it was over 350) but i had never had that kind of gas milage since. i was traveling rather quickly though [;)]

but i usally get about 25 mixed. i usually put about 10 gallons in and i had put 225-270 miles on the tank. just depends how how far you push with your right foot[:D] i've always used speedway's 91 octane (premium).

·
Registered
723 Posts
pspringe said:
Is there some other way???
I know our cars can do other things with the odometer screen. (digital speedo or something) Didn't know if other SVT's could do more than mine since I pretty much have the base model, no sunroof, T/C, heated seats.

My GTO could tell all sorts of useless info like the average MPG, instant MPG, digital speedo, average speed, trip time, gallons used, stop watch. It was kind of rediculous.

Anyway taking the miles and deviding it by the gallons could lead to alot of error regarding the reserve and all. I've driven close to 20 miles after my fuel light came on. That could change it alot.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
The "reserve" isn't a separate part of the fuel tank.
It's a 13.2 gallon tank, and my "low fuel light" (reserve) comes on fairly consistently with 10.2 gallons consumed.
That leaves 3 gallons in "reserve" to get you to a gas station.

My method: (consistency at fillup is the key to accurate results)
1) Reset trip odometer to 0.0 after filling tank.
2) Drive till I need to fill up again. (I usually fill up immediately after low fuel light comes on)
3) Fill up tank at slowest speed on pump till it shuts off. (no topping off...that's it)
4) Put nozzle away, cap the tank.
5) Get in car and pull out notepad.
6) Write down number of gallons to fill tank, and number of miles driven (from the trip odometer).
7) Put notepad back in glove box, and reset trip odometer to 0.0.
Rinse, repeat, go...[:D]

·
Registered
723 Posts
I know the reserve isn't a seperate part of the gas tank and that it'a just a buffer put in by the factory. Had no idea that it was that big though. Thanks for the info anyway.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts