Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'll start by saying this is the first 4 cylinder car I've ever owned. I own a 97 mustang (was a gt) now has a supercharged 5.4 and 6-speed, and an 05 king ranch super duty. Got the focus for gas mileage, but since rolling over 100k it has dropped. I went from 32-33mpg and that is a mix of city and highway driving, down to 28 ish. Changed the oil a few times, tried different oils from full synthetic to conventional and nothing. Upon inspecting the airbox I found out its sealed or something I don't see where the filter goes! I would like to hunt down a cold air intake, what would be a good one? Any other thoughts on crappy mileage?

Second problem: Terrible shake sometimes when I let out the clutch in 1st gear. So bad the whole car jerks and bangs and sounds like the entire drive line is gonna fall right out of the car. Never owned a front wheel drive before so any thoughts on where to start?

The car is an 06 ZX3 base model. Manual windows and all. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Okay, so I'll start by saying this is the first 4 cylinder car I've ever owned. I own a 97 mustang (was a gt) now has a supercharged 5.4 and 6-speed, and an 05 king ranch super duty. Got the focus for gas mileage, but since rolling over 100k it has dropped. I went from 32-33mpg and that is a mix of city and highway driving, down to 28 ish. Changed the oil a few times, tried different oils from full synthetic to conventional and nothing. Upon inspecting the airbox I found out its sealed or something I don't see where the filter goes! I would like to hunt down a cold air intake, what would be a good one? Any other thoughts on crappy mileage?

Second problem: Terrible shake sometimes when I let out the clutch in 1st gear. So bad the whole car jerks and bangs and sounds like the entire drive line is gonna fall right out of the car. Never owned a front wheel drive before so any thoughts on where to start?

The car is an 06 ZX3 base model. Manual windows and all. Thanks in advance.
Replace spark plugs and spark plug wires. Old plugs/wires will decrease fuel economy. Next time you get gas, use Marvel Mystery Oil. Its great stuff and will clean your engine.

The shake may be due to a broken transmission mount or bad motor mounts. To check motor mounts, put the hood up and let the clutch out quickly while paying close attention to the motor. If the front or rear jacks up in the air when you do this, the motor mounts are shot. To check trans mount, use a camera or camcorder to record the location of the trans while you repeat the above process.

btw, you are in the wrong forum section. ur Focus has a Duratec engine, not a Zetec...they were discontinued at the end of 2004.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Btw if your mounts are bad no worries as they are easy to change provided you are even slightly mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would definately check that air filter. On my 2000 zetec wagon you have to remove four screws to get the air box cover off. I don't know how that compares to an '06 but there has to be some system using screws or maybe clips that hold the box together. Look untill you find it becauser any blockage will definately kill your mileage. I've seen where mice or other critters will build a nest in that box and clog it up so badly the car will barely run.
On my car one of the rear brake cylinders got stuck so the brake would not fully release. Thatr dropped my mileage into the 20's. A sticky parking brake cable could do it too so I wouldn't hurt to jack up the car and spin the wheels to make sure they turn easily. A little drag from the front disc brakes is normal but if you have to really work at it you've found a problem. Hope this helps.
A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts