Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok one idea i had today considering i'm about to drop a little under $2k into my audio setup would be to have an alarm installed.. so.. picked out the setup.. pager alarm system w/remote start.

ok anyways here's my "please advise" part:

i see the pillar gauge pods and although i'd like to have them i want something a little different..

i know i can do a voltemeter... but what about a temp gauge for the amp(s) and possible some sort of power output (more or less DB but in a electrical reading) i'm not going for speed at all with my car (at least not now.. haha.. that setup will come later) i'm going for looks and sound. yes.. it's nothing to lok at now but it's in progress.. working progress....

so.. anyone know of any such gauges.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
why would you put gauges in this car?

dude...get a nice cd player, good speakers, amp, sub, amp, alarm

and be done with it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Some of the alpine amps that have a digital display have a built in temp gauge. It can tell you all kinds of little happenings of the amp (temp internal/external, volts on batt, input voltage, etc.). I have never heard of an external or remote gauge for this though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Amplifier temperature would be a kind of useless gauge to have. If you want a voltage meter, look into Stinger; they make a few different ones. They have an in-dash one with lights that indicate if any fuses have blown, they also have a small rectangular one that can be mounted just about anywhere.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7252

Another option would be to get a topper from a capacitor that has a digital voltage meter and disassemble it, and fabricate around the display part.

If you want a decibel meter, there aren't any I can think of that will mount into a pod, but you could look into an audiocontrol EPIC-160- it's an epicenter + a decibel meter

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1260

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can use a pyrometer for the temp, and the gauges i'e picked out will look nice in the car.. it has digital readout. and why would i want to know the temp.. simple this will be a false floor setup, and i'd like to keep an eye on temps as i will still be using my trunk day to day (that way if something happens to cover it up so it has ventelation or whatever i can shut it off. and as far as DB meter goes.. there are alot of DB meters on the market, but nothing in a gauge style.. just handhelds with datalogging. i'm talking with autometer right now about one though.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
i can use a pyrometer for the temp, and the gauges i'e picked out will look nice in the car.. it has digital readout. and why would i want to know the temp.. simple this will be a false floor setup, and i'd like to keep an eye on temps as i will still be using my trunk day to day (that way if something happens to cover it up so it has ventelation or whatever i can shut it off. and as far as DB meter goes.. there are alot of DB meters on the market, but nothing in a gauge style.. just handhelds with datalogging. i'm talking with autometer right now about one though.
i don't think a pyrometer is gonna be functional for what you are trying to do. there range of data acquisition isn't really around where you are looking.

building a false floor causes problems. you should probably figure out how to vent out the bottom of the trunk. also...you are going to take quite a bit of space away when you build a false floor...and if you have to fit anything of size back there you will have problems. as far as ventilation goes i would use computer fans blowing hot air away from the amps or something like that. it is the best way to do it imo. you need to dynamat as well, vibration will kill your amps. just keep in mind you are adding a shit ton of weight to the rear and it will throw off the handling of the car. are the subs gonna be in a false floor as well?

a DB meter is cool...but not really needed. why spend money there? are you trying to enter shows with the sound system or is it just for personal amusement? i don't understand the point.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Do you understand the incriments that a pyrometer reads? It's not gonna do what you want it to do.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the pyrometer i looked at is digital and reads from 0-1800 degrees, yes i know (at leas HOPE) I never see anythign close to it's max but anyways it's an idea. and as far as the false floor and all that realtedness.. a local shop i've become very familiar with is doing the work, venting it, building it, dynomatting it, and i've already had a system in there at one point.. i understand the wieght.. audio is something i know.. all parts of it (maybe not to an ace but i understand about vibrations, reverb, amp mouting, wiring, subs, boxes) and plus the subs are a mere 2.5 inch in mounting depth so the floor will not raise very much at all. i've been told the way they are doing it the most the raise will be is 2 inches
i'm losing the spare, which is of my own choice so don't lecture me on that, i drive for a living I know all about safety gear and dangers of the road and i still choose to lose it.

and as far as the point.. it's purely for my amusment and to have something unlike the rest. is it needed.. no, is it gonna make the car look totally baddass and show car.. now (not as the car sits now anyways) but there is alot planned for this car.. i'm going in workable incriments
body kit, suspension (which will come once i get my insurance check) lights/grill, security system w/remote start, brakes, a motor swap later on, a a full car repaint. this is only one small thing of many

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
pyrometers thats made for your exhaust temp its probably only accurate to the nearst 10 degrees
serioulsy not worth it
knowing the temp will maybe only tell you what temp your amp hits right before it blows

1 - 11 of 11 Posts