Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Few Different Questions

4755 Views 43 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Saabafoo
Hi All,

I have a few different things that I need clarification on, as the title would suggest. So first, some background. Car is an 07 ZX4 SE, has Steeda Sport springs (lol), KYB AGX's, 18mm front ASB, and the Steeda 21mm rear ASB kit. The tires I used for the majority of the season were the BFG Sport Comp II in 205/45/17. Swapped tires front to rear half way through the season.

So after the season ends I go to get my tires dismounted and remounted onto the other side of the car because the shoulders of my tires were pretty lunched. While the peoples are doing this they discover that the shoulders are so worn that there are clear indications that layer separation is imminent and inform me of the problem. So I'm forced to buy new tires only after 4K miles and 3\4 of a season of AX. Since it's getting into the cold season I purchase some all-seasons in 215/45/17.

My first question is: what do I need to do to the car (and probably my technique) to not have a repeat of massive tire shoulder destruction?

I noticed pretty early on that my suspension was pretty soft for AX duty, and after putting on the 215's, I'm getting a lot of tire rubbage in the front over bumps and during any semblance of sporty cornering. In order to combat the rubbage, I'm going to get a stiffer suspension setup, but need to know that whatever I get eliminates my tires rubbing my fenders in all but the most heinous bumps.

My second question is: what suspension setup do you all recommend? I have a couple in mind, but I'll wait to voice those after you all voice your advice and suggestions. I think that's everything. Apologies for the longish post.

Thank you for you much needed assistance.

Justin
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· VEKTOR PLATE
6,191 Posts
why so high in pressure? your killing your contact patch doing that. a stillf sidewall tire like the sport comps shouldnt need to be run that high. and any wheelspin you may get is pumping the pressure up higher. i tent to show up at teh event with my tires at 35 psi all the way around and i barely have to adjust them pressure wise. and i ahve plenty of grip from my old kdw2's.
my current setup is stock svt springs on agx dampers. no camber adjustment at all (heck no alignment to speak of right now, haha) and saleen swaybars, open diff.

the rub is most likely from too soft a spring up front. there is a tiny tab in the top of the wheel arch you can feel with your fingers. it may be making contact there when turned and stuffed in the wheel well. i just bent it up a bit with my hands on a hot day. problem solved...

· VEKTOR PLATE
6,191 Posts
i should point out all my bushings are old as sin and probably siezed. johns car is faster than mine anyhow.... it was my understanding if you roll onto those triangles and no further its at the right pressure. letting you use all of the tire....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.