Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It should be no surprise that bolt-on fenders, which aren’t anything new, are very popular right now. Companies are producing them for a variety of vehicles but even though fellow owners of Mk3 Ford Foci have expressed interest in fitting such flares to their own cars, unfortunately our choices are quite limited to say the least.

With this in mind, I am excited to announce that THREETWENTY (officialthreetwenty.com) is working with ML24 Design (ML24.net) with the goal of bringing a new set of bolt-on flares to the aftermarket, for the Mk3 Focus platform. Specifically we are looking to meet the demand from ‘13/14 Focus ST owners but hopefully the flares will be able to work on regular ’12-14 hatchbacks, and ’12-14 sedans as well.

A unique aspect of these flares is that they will be 100% Canadian products, from design through to manufacture. THREETWENTY is an automotive blog based in Calgary Alberta, and ML24 Design is an automotive design and prototyping company located in Toronto Ontario.

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:

We are currently looking for feedback from owners interested in such a product. What would you like to see in terms of size and style? As we work on the design we are looking to hear from interested owners to best meet what they have in mind when they imagine fitting flares to their cars.

WHAT WE NEED:

ML24 will need a ‘13/14 Focus ST to scan for rendering and production, and a ’12-14 sedan as well if possible. If there are owners in or around the Toronto area who are able and willing to lend their cars to ML24 to be scanned, please contact me and I will pass your information along!

IMPORTANT POINTS TO CONSIDER:

To be effective in housing wider wheels and tires, cutting of your factory fenders, quarter panels, and possibly bumpers will be needed. Professional installation is recommended as these are fairly serious modifications that need to be made.

The flares will be hand made from fiberglass.

If this is a product which interests you, please let us know! Reply here and your comments will be shared with ML24 as we work on filling this hole in the market.

-Bill

www.officialthreetwenty.com
www.ML24.net

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
And the three previous companies that made them and discontinued them makes you think you'll succeed where they failed why?

Bolt on complete fender is the only option I'd go with if I were buying. I don't want to deal with this BS of cutting up my fender and them trying to figure out if/how to make a fender liner work.
A properly designed bolt on complete fender that uses the existing inner fender would be a good part IMO. Anything else is just cheap crap.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the three previous companies that made them and discontinued them makes you think you'll succeed where they failed why?

Bolt on complete fender is the only option I'd go with if I were buying. I don't want to deal with this BS of cutting up my fender and them trying to figure out if/how to make a fender liner work.
A properly designed bolt on complete fender that uses the existing inner fender would be a good part IMO. Anything else is just cheap crap.
I have seen promises of flares that never happened, flares people wanted that were never sold, and flares sold that owners didn't like the styling of. Not to mention that now the cars are getting older (read: less expensive) so naturally owners will get more bold with modifications. We want to see exactly what owners picture when they think of flares and make it happen.

I'll admit that I too would like to see full replacement fenders for our cars, but what about those who want more room for wider rear wheels as well? Bolt-on flares would be required unless a lot of custom work were to be done to the rear doors, quarter panels, and bumper.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes yes yes!!!!! All the stance!!!!!!!

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I like the idea, but HATE fibreglass, not durable enough... I would not buy them made out of fibreglass.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I like the idea, but HATE fibreglass, not durable enough... I would not buy them made out of fibreglass.
Fiberglass..... not durable enough? WTH did I just read? Considering boats are made from fiberglass, I'd trust fiberglass more than a plastic

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fiberglass..... not durable enough? WTH did I just read? Considering boats are made from fiberglass, I'd trust fiberglass more than a plastic
it all depends on how the fiberglass is laid and judging by @twentys work im not worried on damn bit ....

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I would definitely like to see full fender replacement as well. This isn't necessarily something I'd ever have the money for but I would love to see nothing but the best available for the aftermarket.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
it all depends on how the fiberglass is laid and judging by @twentys work im not worried on damn bit ....
This^^^^
I would definitely like to see full fender replacement as well. This isn't necessarily something I'd ever have the money for but I would love to see nothing but the best available for the aftermarket.
And this too^^^

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Bump, anything ever happen with this?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^^You do know that there are a bunch of fender flares available now for MK3, at least 3 to 5+ to choose from... Maxton designs is one, ill let you find the others

·
Registered
138 Posts
^^^^You do know that there are a bunch of fender flares available now for MK3, at least 3 to 5+ to choose from... Maxton designs is one, ill let you find the others

Oh I know, they're just expensive and I'm curious what this company could do. They have nice designs for the subraru and Toyota. Trust me I'm aware of the other brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts