Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.
I'll stary with putting some context with what Tom had been working with.

I live in the Philippines and I drive a 2014 Focus S with the 2.0 n/a duratec engine and the infamous DCT.

Right off the bat when I got this car I knew it had a troublesome transmission. See, traffic here in my country is terrible. A 5km / 3mi drive would take around 45 minutes. This hasn't been well received by my transmission and has been shuddering like a bunny overdosed on caffeine. I searched online for remedies and basic fixes without having to replace my TCM or the clutch packs. The other problem the car had was the inconsistent performance. On a full tank the car drove like crap, literally slow snail and would show minor improvements when fuel was less than half the tank. Pretty weird if you ask me.

So I figured, based on what I've read online, a quick chat to Tom would help.

I got the flasher and after fixing some minor version issues I had with my flasher (no fault of Tom btw; it was SCTs problem), Tom sent my base tune.

I flashed the base tune and jeezus. I had no idea this car had so much power to work with. Almost instantaneously the car's driveability improved. The shuddering was close to erradicated, only happened about 5% of the time. Performance on a full tank of gas was better but still not the same as a half tank or less.

Datalogged the 5 min idle, 5 min cruise, and WOT from 3rd and a few days passed, Tom sent the next version of the tune. Freaking sweet after that. The car was completely different. The shifting was insanely smooth and it felt significantly more powerful, specifically from mid to high range.

At that point I decided to do a full exhaust upgrade and install performance headers. With the revised tune I datalogged again and sent the log with a specific request of improving power / torque at the low end, specifically from 2.5k rpm up.

About a week had passed and he sent the revised tune to optimize the exhaust upgrades and improve low end performance. Flashed the tune and godangit Tom did an amazing job. The car now drives better than anything I had hoped for. The shudder is almost completely gone, the shifting is flawless, and to top it off, there was a very slight improvement to fuel efficiency (which I did not expect ).

Overall I got more than what I had bargained for. He is as responsive as he can possibly be, even considering that we live in different time zones and the amount of customers he needs to assist. You can even ask for his advice on wht mods to do and he will always give you his honest feedback.

Tom's a great tuner and he did an excellent job improving my Focus.
5 stars for customer service.
5 stars for the price of his services.
5 stars for the tune.

P.S. initially, my wife wasnt happy about spending on a tune but when she drove the car after Tom had tuned it she was ecstatic.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the review I purchased a flasher and tune from Tom last week. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Glad to hear the wife approves :)

Could you let me know where you purchased the exhaust headers and system. I am in Thailand and I am wondering what is available in the area ... not much in Thailand that's for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the review I purchased a flasher and tune from Tom last week. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Glad to hear the wife approves 🙂

Could you let me know where you purchased the exhaust headers and system. I am in Thailand and I am wondering what is available in the area ... not much in Thailand that's for sure.
I'm not sure where in Thailand. Ebay's got some OBX headers which I think can be shipped to your location. I opted to look for a local shop that customizes exhausts. Went for a 4-1 catless header. Needed to keep my resonator and muffler since taking out the cat makes it so much louder. So short answer, id look for a reputable exhaust shop in Thailand and just get it customized. Tom's a great tuner bud. Have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts