Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so today I figured I'd install my used FC 65mm TB. I got all the necessary things out of the way, unplugged my negative battery cable, and I took off the four 5-star bolts holding the stock TB on. Undid the cables, and the TPS. I put on the FC 65mm TB, and put everything back on the same way I took it off. I also repositioned the the TPS screws the the CORRECT holes. I have a 2002 ZX3. I got it all done, and I went to start up my car, and my rpms jumped to 6,000, and then slowly worked there way down. My engine wasn't running correctly tho. Rpms were jumping all over the place, and unless I gave it gas, the car would drop below 950 rpms, and then it would just shut off. I avoided letting it completely die. And at sometimes, the car would shoot up to 3,000 and slow go UP!!!

Is this a normal thing to happen with an aftermarket TB? After I encountered the above, I redid all my work, and put the stock one back one, because I didn't want to drive it like it was.

If anyone could spare me some time and info, that'd be great.

Thanks!

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Take the TPS off and turn it 180 degrees. This sometimes works. Basically use the exact same holes, just have the wiring harness plug on the opposite side. Hope that makes sense. Do an ECU RESET again......

Seems that it takes a few minutes or a day to work properly some times. I had 100% luck with the 180 degree trick.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I understand what you mean. Do I unscrew the TPS sensor from my FC TB, or leave it plugged in? If I turn it, doesn't that open/close the TB?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Unscrew it completely, then turn it 180 degrees. So basically instead of having the wiring harness plus pointing upwards and to the front of the car, have it pointing downwards and to the back of the car.

Basically you want to remove the TPS completely, take the two screws off, then slide the TPS off the TB. Next, put the TPS back on, but 180 degrees from previously, put the two screws back on, then do an ECU RESET (easy way is to unplug the negative, then lay on the brake pedal, horn for a minute or so to drain any power, then plug it back in).......

Let me know.... this has worked for MANY MANY people including myself and for the record, this isn't my idea, I've read and heard about this for years now, especially when it comes to the 2000-mid2002 focus models (Grey shift knob, not leather).....

That is another thing, make sure you are using the correct holes as mid2002 the linkage I believe changed (or something) so the holes also changed (pretty sure). I got a picture somewhere......

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When my TPS is on my stock or even my FC TB, the back of the tps plus was always facing the back end of my car. so, I think you're saying, switch it completely 180 degrees, so that the back of my tps is facing my headlights. I'll try maybe tomm if it's nice out. The best way to do an ECU reset is apply the brakes?

So, lets say I do all that, when I put FC TB back on, and turned the tps 180, should my car still idle all over the place?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Yeah sorry, reverse what I said....LOL I got ya confused don't I...... yeah you want the back of your TPS facing your headlights, whatever the complete opposite it was like on your stock TB.

Once you do this, your car SHOULD be normal. Also make sure the throttle body screw on the new TB (Stopper screw where it rests against to adjust the idle) is completely backed off or removed completely (I had to do this with mine).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The screw that it hits when the TB is completely closed?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
There's a screw that controls the idle of the engine, works like a stopping point for a piece of the throttle control (metal) as it keeps the 'flap' inside the TB from closing completely (or moreso). It is on the side of the TB, near the spring assembly.

·
Registered
958 Posts
is it auto or manual...on my friends mtx we had to use the atx holes and the tb worked like a dream

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 Manual

It's a FocusCentral 65MM Throttle Body

(for any confusion)

·
Registered
958 Posts
try using the atx tps holes...like i said...we spent about 2 hours trying different things...finally we thought...wtf, it couldnt get WORSE...so we installed it...and the car ran perfectly!...try it and see what happens

1 - 11 of 11 Posts