Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my TB from FC today and was very impressed with them I ordered it yesturday at about 1pm and it was at my door today about 1pm.. The big deal is that they are in California and Iam in the Middle and Canada. I paid for UPS but didnt expect it that fast.

The TB is the best mod I've done yet. It is one that you will actually notice. I've done MBRP cat back, FC pulleys, Ractive intake and MSD wires not that the wires matter. And now FC TB.

I say if you are thinking of getting one do it. I have been dealing with Dave over there and he has been great. Infact if you tell him that Jason in Canada recomended him that would be great.

I have one [?] for anyone that has a FC TB. Did you have a problem with it sticking at first? I've heard one or two guys on here say that they had it happen. I want to know if it just goes away because it's new and just needs to be worked in or if you had to do something to it to make it smoother?

It's 3:45am so I can't call Dave and ask now but will later on tomorrow. If someone can help with this maybe I dont need to make that long distance call.

Thanks for any help .

Jason.[burnout] [nutkick]

·
Registered
845 Posts
I put mine on last night, and drove a little (about 30 miles). I haven't had a problem yet. It's really jumpy, but I do like it too. Finishing your exhaust will probably make a big difference in the feel of your car too. The first thing I noticed is that I'm gonna have to start changing gears faster - [:D] but I don't mind [thumb]
I'm just wandering...what color did you get? I got silver. I'm going all chrome and silver under my hood and black with clear lights outside...still don't know what to do with the interior, but I found some new wheels and have to save for them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do yourself a favor and call the guys at Focus Central if it is sticking. I talked to someone there a few days ago (probably Dave) and he said to just give him a call. At first he said that people mess with the positioning of the screw but that may have not been your case....Did you mess with the screw???

·
Registered
845 Posts
ya...this is something I need to do. I haven't messed with that screw, but I think this will help because I'm having this problem a little.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys I'll do that today and I got a silver TB I wanted red but they were out of red at the time. Iam going with red under the hood but the sivler TB will do just fine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
DONT ADJUST THE SCREW...your computer will only compensate for it, you wont change your idle, that can only be done by doin a chip. its amazing how many times i have to say this, wish FC would put a note in their instructions of this.

make sure that when you put it on, have a buddy mash the pedal down, and look at the butterfly to make sure it goes all the way open. a lot of them dont, i have the fix for many of them. i'll post later.

-Ult

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I got a FC t/b but I didn't get it until 8 days later. I haven't gotten mine installed yet.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
UltegraSTI said:
DONT ADJUST THE SCREW...your computer will only compensate for it, you wont change your idle, that can only be done by doin a chip. its amazing how many times i have to say this, wish FC would put a note in their instructions of this.

make sure that when you put it on, have a buddy mash the pedal down, and look at the butterfly to make sure it goes all the way open. a lot of them dont, i have the fix for many of them. i'll post later.

-Ult
Really! If that is the case, then why does the dealership adjust the throttle screw whenever this problem arises to them. The computer is not going to compensate for a gross mechanical error. The computer does not control the throttle body. That is controlled by the throttle cable that is connected to the gas pedal. The idle is set by the position of the Throttle body at rest which is determined by the screw. The TPS then sends a signal to the computer that tells the car at what % the throttle body is open so the car can adjust fuel flow and calculate air-fuel ratios correctly.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'll check that WOT, but I'm pretty sure mine opens all the way by the ride quality. I checked my TB at idle and it seemed okay, so I didn't adjust the screw. If it rested completely flat, I would have, but the butterfly is angled a little allowing it to open freely without "sticking". I think I just need to get used to it (give me a full day with it).
I would however like to raise my idle 100rpms or so. My car idles between 600 - 800 rpms and occasionally studders a little. I'm getting cams in a couple weeks though. Will they raise my idle any?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
u will need a chip to raise your idle gon.....

ZTS congrats on your t/b! i love mine, mines just black. mine never stuck but ive heard adjusting the screw helps some people and also check ur gasket seal.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Euro: good point...if that seal leaks, it will definitly affect the ride quality...I'm getting a chip after I get the cams, then it's wait until SC time!!

Did anyone else cross-thread the screws attaching the TB to the manifold?[:D]
I did on one of them.[8] I couldn't do anything about it. I noticed it wasn't going in right when I first put it in (by hand only), and backed it out to try again with no luck. I just went with it and tightened it down...ooops! LOL[slap]

edit: ya know, the smileys add so much to these replies...[offtopic]

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
be careful with the cams when u get an SC. ive heard of them acting funny with SCs before.... do some research and talk to JR to see if they tested their sc with any cams, which ones they used, and if cam gears helped out.

the plastic intake manifold is lame, so are the screws. i wish ford wasnt so cheap sometimes... but it makes it easy to port :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Oh, DUDE!!! It would suck to port it if it was aluminum (or in Ford's case, cast iron).

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
ZX3_Chick said:
I got a FC t/b but I didn't get it until 8 days later. I haven't gotten mine installed yet.
Did you get instuctions with your TB ?
I didn't and I have a 2003 Zx3 FC TB for my 5-speed manual tranny and found out from Dave that the TPS points toward the front instead of the rear like the stock TB. If you point the TPS toward the rear, it will put alot of strain on the wires and they may break and the idle seemed to be a little high.
You might also want to get a zip tie to keep the TPS wires from touching anything hot.
It also uses the TPS holes directly at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock which is usually for the automatic
tranny for the older Foci.
[whip]

·
Registered
845 Posts
You can check out the "How-to" section in that article noted further up in this thread, or at www.myfordfocus.com (which is where that link takes you). They have a picture showing you how you should configure your TB's TPS.

note: mine didn't come with instructions either

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Micro:
Yes, I got instructions. But if they are anything like the instructions that I got from FC on my short shifter (which were almost all wrong BTW) then it might take a lot longer then what I thought. I got a 03 w/manual tranny. I'll be sure to do what you said before it gets installed.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
It only took me about 15-20 minutes to the the complete install.
Pretty easy and straight forward. It's that I didn't get any instructions and couldn't figure out why my idle was a little high and the TPS wires seem to have high tension on it until I talked to Dave and he told me to point the TPS wires toward the front instead of the back. After I got the TPS on correctly, it's been flawless and a great improvement in throttle response.
If I can take a picture of the TB with the TPS, I'll post in this thread.
[thumb]
[whip]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I couldn't get a good picture of the TPS from the side so here's one from the top.
When your done installing it, the TPS should be pointing toward the front of the car.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Well that outta help me. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts