Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a question for you all. I got the Focus Central Duratec TB for Christmas and it came in the other day. I took it from its box, but something seems wrong with the little piece they included with it. It looks kinda like a gasket or spacer and made of something that feels a little like rubbery cardboard (for lack of a better term). It doesn't line up at all with the holes on the bottom of the TB (I lined it with the upper left hole in the pic), I'm assuming it should? Here's a picture of it, I'll try to post it in this thread but as it usually doesn't work there's a link to it.

Any help? I can email FC, but just figured I'd run it by you all to see if there is some obvious explanation...

or http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amccoy05/detail?.dir=/Focus&.dnm=FC+TB.jpg

·
Registered
847 Posts
It is a gasket, is the one on your car right now alright? If so you can probably just put it on there, but ya.. that's not even the right part. Focus Central strikes again!

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I thought they might've just sent the wrong one out. And eggyolk, I don't know if the other gasket is any good, I've only had the car since July and its got a little over 5600 miles so maybe? But I didn't go looking under the hood or removing anything since I didn't want my car half-apart if the product was wrong![:p]

·
Registered
847 Posts
I don't condone replacing parts and re-using gaskets but the TB might be alright to re-use. It's your car. I would see if it fit well enough with the old one personally. If it does not, stick your old TB back on and wait. Gaskets are only really squishy until you mash them in between metal, then they fill in the spaces and get tough, so your old one should work with the old TB just fine. Hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Chances are the orginal gasket is fine. Problem is if for some unknown reason it gets damaged during the stock tb removal, you will need a replacement. Also, I know for the Zetec FC tb's, some were putting a sealer on the gasket to prevent leaks. If this is necessary to do, the spare would be nice to have around should you return to stock one day and sell off the tb.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I talked to FC and as it turns out, the gasket is unnecessary. For the PZEVs there's a stock O-ring type gasket that gets reused, so someone dropped this Zetec gasket in the box, but there's no use for it or a replacement one. Thanks for your help again guys!

Would anyone want this gasket, like as a spare if their own got damaged?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Only the 2.3L and SVT have the o-ring style gasket.There is a groove cut into the bottom of these throttle bodies to accomodate the stock one.Sorry for the confusion Amanda,but we try to make sure we send all the necessary parts and sometimes end up sending more than what is necessary.I would like to think that more is often times better than less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts