Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FC TB installed, car runs bad (half solved)

I just installed my FC TB on my 2000 Zetec and it idles very low and looks to run very rich. It's a red FC TB and I positioned the TPS sensor like it is said on this site : http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/65mm.htm . I made my own gasket cause it didn't come with one. Would a leak cause the car to sputter like that? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
it coud be the problem. you might want to run to a parts store and pick up and oem one. what exactly do you mean when you say it stutters?

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
yeah id say it could be a leak. just go pick up some RTV and lay down a nice little bead to make your own seal.

does it drive alright? i.e. any hanging revs or anything like that?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just can't drive it right now, it stalls a few seconds after it starts. If I play with the gas as soon as it drops below 1000 rpm it runs bad, shakes a little. I made a gasket with some gasket material, looks like cardboard a little. What is the RTV stuff?

·
Registered
479 Posts
FC/TB

Have you disconnected the battery for at least 15 min. & reconnect so that your on-board chip can reconfigurate your new mod.?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have disconnected the battery.

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
did you cut a hole in this gasket material for the IAC? (idle air control)

edit* RTV is a silicone material that can be used as a seal.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hum right now I feel dumb, where should be that hole and what does it do?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys just cut a hole for the IAC (well I learned something today) and the car is running. Idle is higher than before (around 1100 rpm) and if barely rev it to lets say 1800, revs hang a couple of seconds, falling back slowly to 1100. Is that normal? Will the ecu relearn and the revs will fall back more quickly? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
479 Posts
FC/TB

To check for a vacuum leak at the base, you can run a bead of RTV around the base of the TB where it meets the manifold, let it set & fire it up to see if it makes a difference (instead of taking the TB off first). If it is a seal problem, try calling New Edge Proformance (who still sales FC/TB’s) if they will sell you a gasket. And if they don’t... PM me & I can email you a photo of the gasket, so you can see where all the passages are. Good Luck!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I think I'll get a gasket from him, it isn't that much easy to make precisely. I went for a test drive and the only problem now is that revs are hanging. Sometimes I push the clutch in and revs go up... They almost always go to 2000 rpm when the clutch is in, then fall back slowly. I remember seeing a thread about hanging revs, would it be related to the space in between the intake hole and IAC hole? The gasket must be really thin there, and it may let air pass by.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i had that problem too when i put mine on, but that was resolved when put the TPS on correctly

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you mean, you had put it in the wrong holes?

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
i had to flip my TPS 180 degrees to get teh thing to run right

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was it behaving like mine? I know you're not the only one who did that, it's weird.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your revs should hang and slow down after hitting the gas... this alos the engine to breathe when you let off the gas, check to see if you tb is closing all the way, if they are open a little bit more air will enter and speed up the rpm

·
Registered
479 Posts
OK, next, check that the idle adjustment screw on the TB to see if it is touching the stop, if it isn’t, then adjust it until it does & add about a 1/4 turn.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts