Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I should be installing a 65mm FC TB and either an Iceman or Volant CAI together. Can the MAF handle this airflow increase sufficiently or should the fuel map be remapped? I know I can just throw these parts on and go...but I want to do things right, so I figured that remapping would be appropriate after a change such as this...AND SHOOT...

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
The FC 65mm TB and any intake is just a bolt on.
No need to reprogram anything.
Just disconnect the battery when you install them so your ECU is reset to 'learn' the new bolt on parts. Either the Iceman or Volant work well. It's a matter of do you like a quiet intake(Iceman) or do you want a loud intake(Volant.)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do like quiet since some of my other plans will increase the noise level of the engine. But the thing is, your fuel map will determine how much fuel dependent upon what airflow the MAF is reading. So if that reading is higher (due to the mods) the question is...is the map big enough to adequately cover the increase? I think the stock throttle body is 55mm so the change to a 65mm throttle body is a 39.67% increase in area!! I would think with an increase that large along with a better flowing intake system the airflow may go beyond the fuel map's range for the stock system. They are only designed within a certain flow range.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
You won't have to remap the MAF. I had no problems when I had my old MAC and 65mmTB. Just remember to unplug the battery like previously stated.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
how long do you unplug the battery for.I have never done this with any of my mods.Does this mean i am not getting the hp i could if i unplugged the battery and reset my ecu?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Usually you unplug it for around 15 minutes or just unplug it when you are installing the mod. The car will eventually figure out what is going on and fix itself. When I installed the TB on the Contour, I ended up with a check engine light and it went off once the car figured out what was going on.

Slammedfoci, don't worry about unplugging the battery, chances are the ECU has already figured it out.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
ILLINI zx3 said:
I do like quiet since some of my other plans will increase the noise level of the engine. But the thing is, your fuel map will determine how much fuel dependent upon what airflow the MAF is reading. So if that reading is higher (due to the mods) the question is...is the map big enough to adequately cover the increase? I think the stock throttle body is 55mm so the change to a 65mm throttle body is a 39.67% increase in area!! I would think with an increase that large along with a better flowing intake system the airflow may go beyond the fuel map's range for the stock system. They are only designed within a certain flow range.
There isn't a signifigant difference, the stock ecu will adapt to the small changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts