Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed an FC TB on my 2003 zetec and now after fixing all the leaks (P1121) I have a cel P1120-TPS out of range(low). I can fix the problem by opening the idle screw more but now the revs hang like a mofo. Has anybody had this problem, any ideas?

PS- I did search, haven't found anyone with the same problem[:p]

·
Registered
420 Posts
my TB didn't work right after I installed it correctly. I even turned the tps sensor 180 degrees, but still nothing. my idle was around 3,000, and then without even touching the gas, it would rise to 5400 and then i'd just get pissed and shut it off

I reset the ecu, switched the tps around

nothing

did your FC TB come with a gasket? I don't have a gasket for mine...but i know my buddy doesn't have a gasket on his, and his works fine!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Gaskets are cheap and easy to make. Maybe you should try that first, it does sound liek a vacume leak.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
put the idle screw back and reseat the tps. that should help from what i've seen.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If your TB didn't come with a gasket, just run a bead of black RTV around the intake manifold where the TB sits. I did it and I haven't had any problems in three months. You may also just need to check if the TPS is screwed into the correct two holes...

·
Registered
958 Posts
when we installed my friends we actually had to use the auto holes (despite his being a manual)...i realize urs has only one set of holes...but would it kill u to try the others?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Damn, there have been a lot of horrer stories about the FC TB posted lately. I put my exhaust and flex on today and was going to slam on the TB tomorrow. Now Im scared. I have had my stock TB off and on a few times with no probs. This only seems to be the case with the FC TB. Maybe I should have went with BBK.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Give it a shot. If it doesn't work you can take it right off. [thumb]

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Most issues aren't with the TB itself but the placement of the TPS, either its on backwards, screwed into the wrong holes or its just bad. Just make sure to line your TPS up with the proper holes, and that when its on the TB the plug should be facing towards the front of the car, or down and towards the front (in the case of a '00-02.) Its not a bad time to replace the TPS while you're in there, given that they're only $30 or so at the dealership.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the ideas, I'll get on that tomorrow and post any findings. I already have gasket maker between the tb and im so it shouldn't be leaking anymore. I believe the TPS was damaged during the install, also the tps is pointing towards the back of the car (as it was on the stock tb) so I'll try to flip it and see if anything results. Thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After trying to get two different sensors at autozone and a dealer and both of them giving me the wrong part, I tried to just give it more voltage by having it turn more. I put a coat of electrical tape on the blade that turns the TPS, thereby giving it more rotation. The cel's gone and hasn't come back [:)]

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
A permanent fix might be to slightly widen the holes on the TPS so you can do some fine tuning as to where it needs to be placed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That's one way to do it. Typically, when you get an 1120 after swapping the TB, its because you've either used the wrong mounting holes, or that fragile little TPS has been pooched (that's what happened to mine...).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts