Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as many of you know, I spent 2 days at Focus Central this week. This is how it all went down.

WHITELIGHTER a.k.a Dave McCabe, Focus Central's Sales Manager made a call for a Bone Stock 2.3l PZEV Focus. They were going to pick a car and install: FC Cold Air Intake, FC Throttle Body, FC 2 pc Under Drive Pulley Set, FC 4-1 Race Header, FC Flex Pipe, and a hard to find Borla Cat Back Exhaust.

I got into work and one of the members of the other board I'm an admin at IM'd me as soon as I signed on. He gave me a link, and so naturally I followed. WOW-ZER! was I ever thrilled, I signed up right then!!! I called Dave from Focus Central while I was still typing my post and told him that I wanted to be THE ONE! Anyway, when all was said and done, they picked me, and I planned my 3 day trip. I would leave with my wife on Monday, stay in Bakersfield Monday and Tuesday nights and then come home sometime on Wednesday in a faster, louder, nicer car.

Monday the 19th: The drive down.. I will never believe Map Quest again!! After telling us to turn onto a dirt road, I busted out the California Atlas, and found our way back to civilization, and the 600+ mile trek down I-5.

I hardly slept Monday night. I was too excited about what I was going to experience on Tuesday. It was like I was back in high school before a big game. It took 100% mental concentration to watch TV and not think about the next day's procedings.

Tuesday Morning: Where the magic happens...
Cali-Girl (My wife) and I rolled up to Focus Central at about 8:50. We see Dave's ZX3 (WHITELIGHTER) and I know this is the place. Get inside and say our hellos and decide it's time for the popcorn to start poppin. Pull the car around to the shop building. They roll up the doors, and there sit The Red Car, Jelly Bean, Pepper and a Viper. I just laughed, and told Dave, "This is soooo awesome!"

After a few minutes, we have the car strapped down on the dyno and do some warm up pulls. After having trouble with the RPM sensor, we rocked out a 121.7 fwhp / 132.2 fwtq pull followed by a 121.3 fwhp / 132.2 fwtq pull, and we figured that was pretty close and that became our baseline.

The idea was to install a part, do a dyno, install another part, another dyno, and so on. We knew this was going to take a lot of time. This is how it broke down.

First, Dave installed the Focus Central 65mm Throttle Body while it was still strapped down on the dyno for our first part. FC Blue Annodized looks awesome. We left the Stock Intake in place, and the Dyno results were: fwhp -.1 and fwtq +.1 from baseline. The difference in Throttle Responce was amazing!

Second, Dave and I installed the 3" Focus Central Cold Air Intake. Ceramic Coated and lookin good, with a HUGE Dual cone filter. Dyno results were: fwhp +7.4 and +6.5 fwtq from baseline.

Due to the late start we only got the first two mods on on Tuesday. We called it a night.

Wednesday the 21st 8:00am PST: More magic than Copperfield!

For the Third Mod Dennis and Dave installed the FC 2pc UDP set. Dyno showed: fwhp +13 and fwtq +10.5. Gotta love that rotational mass!!

Fourth we installed the FC 4-1 Race Header, and FC Flex Pipe. This was when the "WOW!!" factor started. Dyno prooved: fwhp +21.1 and fwtq +14.4 over stock!!! Holy Hot Horsepower Batman!

The Fifth and final mod was the Borla 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust. Dennis and I had the pleasure of doing this, right after the dyno pull from the header... hahaha! Fun stuff. Opening the outflow of exhaust brought the dyno to +29.4 fwhp and +20.1 fwtq over stock!! This car is now the bomb!

After all was said and done, Dave and I recalled seeing a second screen down in the Stock MAF. We assumed it was an "air straightener" and nothing more. We decided to pop it out and see what happened. That little bastard was sucking 3 hp and 1.6ftlb tq from the word go!!

Final Front Wheel HP = 153.7 Final Front Wheel Torque = 153.9 That was Up 32.4 fwhp and 21.7 fwtq from stock. We were all stoked. Dennis sitting on the dyno, Dave and I standing in front of the computer, surrounded by Cali-Girl and others, and every one of us with smiles on our faces! Good Times!

I want to thank Dave, Dennis and John from Focus Central. I couldn't be happier, nor could I have been more impressed by your guys' courtesy and generosity, and attitude. You guys rock!

I'll post pics in a few minutes.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Cool, nice write up. Do you have some dynos you can post? I'd like to see how it does in the upper end. Your baseline numbers seem a little low for stock, but impressive gains.

Very nice.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I don't suppose that race header has a cat on it!

How loud is that sucker now~?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
wow sweet #s from just those mods. wish u had a stock run down the track and then a run modded! i bet you will be close to low 14s easy now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@egg: No, but it has 3 holes for O2 sensors... :D

@Euro: Once Infineon Rcwy (Sears Point) opens up Wednesday night drags again, a bunch of us Nor*Cal-ers are gonna do the whole G2G thing there for races.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
OMG..
Those are some of the most impressive gains I have seen for the mods you had done.
Weird TB gains...
All bolt ons. No chip, timing or cams.
Post those dyno charts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The TB had those weird #'s due to the Stock intake being still on it. That thing is a life sucking biotch.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
yeah u cant expect much from a throttle body when u have that emissions and gas saving pos intake still on there. itd be interesting to know what just the intake gained, then again with the intake and tb.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Holy crap dude! That sounds very nice!

Me likey.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very impressed with the gains!!! I'm opting out of not getting the UDP dont want to chance my motor, but I'll pick up my header from Draxas on Wed. I believe your baseline was low due to the larger rims you had on they probably are jeavier over the stock ones, maybe, maybe not. Post numbers once you go to the track. Enjoy your new little rocket[clap]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have only the paper print outs, and we ran sooooooooo many runs, I guess I could snap some pics of them. I'll do it tonight.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Wow, those really are some nice gains. That torque number is awesome....The hp is in the (sorta) stock SVT range, but even modified an SVT would have trouble making that torque. Nice!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts